The Duke of Gaffes

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by gingersnaps, Jun 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ninety Gaffes in Nintey Years! What a STAR! - Prince Phillip has done us proud over the years - The Independent have compilied a list of his best gaffes! There are some howlers!

Ninety gaffes in ninety years - Home News, UK - The Independent

There are some absloute gems but my favorite has to be No53!

Please vote for yours!
  2. 36. "And what exotic part of the world do you come from?" Asked in 1999 of Tory politician Lord Taylor of Warwick*, whose parents are Jamaican. He replied: "Birmingham."

(*Currently doing 12 months bird).
  3. Wordsmith

Wordsmith LE Book Reviewer

There are professional comedians who would kill for Phil the Greek's talent for one liners.

I'm working on the theory that Jimmy Carr is his bastard love child...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Tell you what.
    You fight a frigate through most of WWII, including dodging Kamaikaze attacks, then I'll laugh at your jokes.
    Joanna LUMLEY says, "he rocks". He rocks.
  5. 22. "I would like to go to Russia very much – although the bastards murdered half my family." In 1967, asked if he would like to visit the Soviet Union.

He is a rare comedy genius!
  6. I've read this somewhere-or-other, it could be BS, but rings true somehow. Apparently he gets quite baffled when people take offence at what he says. He's just saying what he thinks, and sees no reason to do otherwise (and being a Prince, he's got a point) Who's going to send him to The Tower for calling a fatty a fatty, for example?

Makes a change from the otherwise ubiquitous circumlocution and euphemism in modern life (what a lot of syllables!) :roll:
  7. 40. "Do you still throw spears at each other?" Prince Philip shocks Aboriginal leader William Brin at the Aboriginal Cultural Park in Queensland, 2002. - Absolutely priceless he's a man who clearly says what he thinks and thinks what he says.

21. "Get me a beer. I don't care what kind it is, just get me a beer!" On being offered the finest Italian wines by PM Giuliano Amato at a dinner in Rome in 2000. - I reckon he'd be a good contender for a night on the piss.

If these are the ones which have been recorded or captured I'd love to hear what he says in private. I'd love to have heard his quote after he dropped his guts on the balcony (which we all know he did!). The man is a national Institution!
  8. Gaffes? No, just saying it as it is.
  9. Come on, who else could say this and get away with it?Its hilarious, he sould get a comedy award! You cant read these and not laugh!
  10. I once worked with a bloke who used to be a footman at Buckingham Palace, he recond Phil the greek was a diamond.
    When my mate left Buck house to get another job Phil gave him a hand written reference and told him "If that doesn't get you the job let me know and I'll get the wife to write you one." Top bloke in my opinion.
    • Like Like x 4

11. Exactly, if I said to a black guy "And what exotic part of the world do you come from?" I would be deemed a racist. I would be thinking it though! Its funny, cos he can get away with it.
  12. I'd actually get my grey wings on him! He's a TOP bloke
  13. Not GAFFES just good old non pc statements that many people think but are too afraid to say out loud in the "BIG BROTHER" uber pc world of today!
    I like this one :- 74. "If it doesn't fart or eat hay, she isn't interested." Of his daughter, Princess Anne."
  14. I'm amused when the press say that had HRH not left the Navy to become HM's consort, he may well have risen to the top of the Service. Erm, he's the most senior Admiral of the Fleet, on the active list, nothing honorary about it.

As for folk being upset when the Duke calls a spade a darkie, it is the role of the offended to be offended squared on behalf of those they think they represent. As the Duke himself may say; 'fcuk them'.

He is a Navy man, has been at the sharp end, he's a loyal consort and a national institution and treasure. The Duke does indeed rock.
    • Like Like x 1

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

No 49 - First class squelch of a slimy journo.