The drugs dont work

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Aug 27, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

Leader in today's Guardian:,,2156902,00.html

It would be facile to suggest that there is an easy route out of the opposition the Nato forces are encountering. But destroying the Afghan poppy crop - now the main livelihood of whole communities - while trying to win the hearts and minds of the people appears to be increasingly incompatible with the real purpose of the mission of permanently defeating the Taliban. Not for the first time, a "war on drugs" has done much harm.
    There is an alternative. It is pioneered by the Senlis Council, a counter-narcotics thinktank, which launches a new campaign this month to win support for the licensing of the poppy crop and the legal manufacture of morphine. It proposes village-level production to make a "fair trade" version of the drug that would at last put the pain relief the west takes for granted within reach of doctors and patients in the developing world. At the same time it would provide local jobs and a boost to local economies.

The Senlis Council has the funding for a pilot project. It is ready to go. The official line is that there is insufficient stability for it to work in Afghanistan. But the thinktank believes it is garnering support. A licensing scheme for opium production in Turkey has worked for 30 years. A trial in Afghanistan could test its potential. But it would need a change of tone from America, whose commitment to the war on drugs looks more and more like a dangerous rhetorical flourish that British troops can ill afford.
  2. TBH i don't think the push into Helmand province had anything to do with opium. IMO it was an excuse for something more sinister.
  3. FFS can we get on with this already? Poppy farmers will love growing a crop and not handing over profit to the Taliban! Morphine is a widely used painkiller, it has perfectly legitimate uses, lets stop faffing about.
  4. Wouldn't it be better just to give smack heads pure heroin so they all OD and die?
  5. Yep. Hanging's too good for 'em.
  6. Which was/is ?
  7. I don't think anyone on here's going to argue against it...

Will the US let us, though?
  8. To fiddle with Afghan kiddies bottoms.
  9. The problem is that the Taliban/drug dealers pay for the crops up front, so if the farmers don;t grow it and give it to them they are already in debt and have no way of gaining the money to pay back the gang leaders.
  10. But what will the Taliban and local drug barons do when they see their business being wiped out? They'll kill the farmers unless the crop is handed over for heroin manufacture.

I think the only solution is to forcibly destroy poppies before they're ready to harvest. Perhaps some compensation could be given to the farmers.
  11. Don't You remember our conversation on this subject Falls
  12. msr

msr LE

So put it this way: With 1,500 soldiers would you try to rip out all the ragwort in Wales? While people with heavy machine guns do their damndest to stop you?

Didn't think so.

13. Do i fuck. I can't remember what i did yesterday for fucks sake!
  14. Men.... You did men yesterday

Agree with the supply of pure Herion to the bag head community, or even give them free passage to an Island off the Shetlands and air drop kilo upon kilo of the stuff.