The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I've not sat for some years, but technically still a JP.

Mr. Cummings's own version of events makes it extremely clear that he broke the law.

It's disturbing that you let your bias affect your judgement.
You keep saying that but it really doesn't. Which is why you can't substantiate the claim.

I've not sat for some years, but technically still a JP.

Mr. Cummings's own version of events makes it extremely clear that he broke the law.
My personal view is that he should have resigned for his poor judgment but hey, if that is me biased to the extent that my judgement is affected then I'll live with it.

It's disturbing that you let your bias affect your judgement (not a good quality in a magistrate). It is somewhat more 'disturbing' that you believe anybody whose view doesn't coincide precisely with yours is biased to the extent that their judgement is affected. Quite clearly, with that mindset, you are not a fit and proper person to be handing down judgement on others as a magistrate.

Last edited:
Meanwhile Covid still stalks the land and the economy has an interesting future. As important as DC alleged flout is to some, its not going anywhere and in the meantime we still have Covid and a dicky economy. Humbly suggest a shift of focus to how we get economy going without peeps dying at greater rates than normal.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Meanwhile Covid still stalks the land and the economy has an interesting future. As important as DC alleged flout is to some, its not going anywhere and in the meantime we still have Covid and a dicky economy. Humbly suggest a shift of focus to how we get economy going without peeps dying at greater rates than normal.
Clearly that's what DC was doing, he went to the bleak wastelands of the NE, to kill off all the poor people up there so they could be re-seeded from the South, sort of a 21st Century Harrowing as it were.

Truxx

LE
I would also humbly submit that the only entity that have, and continue to be regarded in a bad light are the media with an agenda.

If my Facebook is anything to go by at least.

Anyway leave spec ups alone. He only has about 48 hours to come up with 6 people who want to meet him.

Yet again Boris demanding the impossible.

Is there no end to the reign of tyranny?

Clearly that's what DC was doing, he went to the bleak wastelands of the NE, to kill off all the poor people up there so they could be re-seeded from the South, sort of a 21st Century Harrowing as it were.
A new "wasting of the north" planned by Tory descendants of Norman robber barons I tell you !

Anyway leave spec ups alone. He [ @Spec-op1989 } only has about 48 hours to come up with 6 people who want to meet him.
Cruel jibe. Even Spesh JP doesn't deserve that.

I'd go but for the next few days I am otherwise engaged on measuring the growth rate of my lawn from the discomfort of my official observer's garden lounger or, in the event of inclement weather, the indoor dehydration rate of freshly applied emulsion paint.

Both tasks are vastly more important and almost certainly far more interesting than meeting Spesh for beer and biscuits.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
My personal view is that he should have resigned for his poor judgment but hey, if that is me biased to the extent that my judgement is affected then I'll live with it.

It's disturbing that you let your bias affect your judgement (not a good quality in a magistrate). It is somewhat more 'disturbing' that you believe anybody whose view doesn't coincide precisely with yours is biased to the extent that their judgement is affected. Quite clearly, with that mindset, you are not a fit and proper person to be handing down judgement on others as a magistrate.
Going to Durham wasn't poor judgement if his kid's autistic and I look forward to watching any journalist trying to argue otherwise.

The Castle Barnard excursion is more equivocal but, while Cummings should have applied Cameron's 'Sniff Test', it's not sufficiently serious to warrant a resignation in that it did not increase the possibility of spreading infection. Had he been caught in public areas like a supermarket, he would have been bang to rights and would have almost certainly gone, rightly in my view.

Going to Durham wasn't poor judgement if his kid's autistic and I look forward to watching any journalist trying to argue otherwise.

The Castle Barnard excursion is more equivocal but, while Cummings should have applied Cameron's 'Sniff Test', it's not sufficiently serious to warrant a resignation in that it did not increase the possibility of spreading infection. Had he been caught in public areas like a supermarket, he would have been bang to rights and would have almost certainly gone, rightly in my view.
I am not going to get into an argument about what is and what isn't poor judgement in my view but unlike a number of rabids here (present company excluded of course), I am not accusing him of law breaking or wanton floutery of the guidance or anything like that.

No, none of that, I am merely accusing him of exercising poor judgement in the way he went about it. His poor judgement has to some degree compromised and embarrassed the government at a time when it really could have done without Storm Dominic making landfall on Number 10's doorstep.

I can't help but think that properly handled with perhaps the government releasing a brief statement to the media beforehand, it would have taken all the piss and wind out of the media's approach to the story. Similarly, a quick (and later reversible) resignation would have shafted the media to a large degree.

I am not going to get into an argument about what is and what isn't poor judgement in my view but unlike a number of rabids here (present company excluded of course), I am not accusing him of law breaking or wanton floutery of the guidance or anything like that.

No, none of that, I am merely accusing him of exercising poor judgement in the way he went about it. His poor judgement has to some degree compromised and embarrassed the government at a time when it really could have done without Storm Dominic making landfall on Number 10's doorstep.

I can't help but think that properly handled with perhaps the government releasing a brief statement to the media beforehand, it would have taken all the piss and wind out of the media's approach to the story. Similarly, a quick (and later reversible) resignation would have shafted the media to a large degree.
While at first sight, I'd agree looks like the media ops from No 10 was poor. Let's look at the residual talking points
#mediascum, Maitlis must go, Kuensberg must go. From where I sit it would appear to be the MSM that have taken the biggest hit, with the potential for long term damage
Sky news in the form of Coates and the harriadan haven't escaped from the shit show either.

Truxx

LE

I started by thinking that there was a reason or reasons for letting it rumble along for three days ( when as you say it could have been killed at the outset)

Now I am of the view, thanks to a conversation with a Whitehall expert and contributor to arrse ( who I will not identify) that it was an eye off the ball moment.

I think someone looked at it, thought Cummings was flame proof and thought nothing of it. Like me, the conclusion would have been that it was going nowhere (except in the feeble minded)

It kept the teachers unions at bay and smoked out a few of the home team who were perhaps not as dedicated to the cause alone might like, but those are the result of luck I think, not judgement.

The big prize, however, will be a little more care and attention by our media information providers. No bad thing. As for the government comms bit yes it could have been killed at birth, but as it happens lots of media piss and wind has been expended for no discernible purpose in what, in the real issues, was natural pause anyway.

So it turned out just fine.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I started by thinking that there was a reason or reasons for letting it rumble along for three days ( when as you say it could have been killed at the outset)

Now I am of the view, thanks to a conversation with a Whitehall expert and contributor to arrse ( who I will not identify) that it was an eye off the ball moment.

I think someone looked at it, thought Cummings was flame proof and thought nothing of it. Like me, the conclusion would have been that it was going nowhere (except in the feeble minded)

It kept the teachers unions at bay and smoked out a few of the home team who were perhaps not as dedicated to the cause alone might like, but those are the result of luck I think, not judgement.

The big prize, however, will be a little more care and attention by our media information providers. No bad thing. As for the government comms bit yes it could have been killed at birth, but as it happens lots of media piss and wind has been expended for no discernible purpose in what, in the real issues, was natural pause anyway.

So it turned out just fine.
I admire your optimism about the media, I doubt very much it will reign them in. The only point that will happen is when the BBC gets the hammering it deserves and hopefully is returned to the people as an impartial, trustworthy service.

I admire your optimism about the media, I doubt very much it will reign them in. The only point that will happen is when the BBC gets the hammering it deserves and hopefully is returned to the people as an impartial, trustworthy service.
I think we are way past that stage Helm.
The BBC won't back down, it can't because it is operating to a dogmatic template.
What will happen I don't know but the BBC won't retreat any time soon.
The London Centric Hubris that they possess would never let them.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think we are way past that stage Helm.
The BBC won't back down, it can't because it is operating to a dogmatic template.
What will happen I don't know but the BBC won't retreat any time soon.
The London Centric Hubris that they possess would never let them.
Hence the hammering I mentioned, the others can be as biased as they want to be, somebody is paying them to be, the BBC should not.

Hence the hammering I mentioned, the others can be as biased as they want to be, somebody is paying them to be, the BBC should not.
I mentioned this a few posts back and I agree.
Seems that the Beeb is in a bit of a quandary.
BBC headsheddery seems to be getting nervous and (mildly) censures Maitland Maitlis while Maitland Maitlis herself shows no regrets and neither do her colleagues.
Tails wagging dogs yet again, seems to happen quite a lot in the UK these days.

ETA: 'Maitlis' not 'Maitland'.

Last edited:

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I mentioned this a few posts back and I agree.
Seems that the Beeb is in a bit of a quandary.
BBC headsheddery seems to be getting nervous and (mildly) censures Maitland while Maitland herself shows no regrets and neither do her colleagues.
Tails wagging dogs yet again, seems to happen quite a lot in the UK these days.
If they had any balls/sense they'd give her a week's suspension and a written warning. Both made public.

Why do you think my opinion on Mr. Cummings is in any way affected by bias?

I'm going purely on two things:

1. The relevant law

2. What Mr. Cummings said he did.

All I'm saying is that, on those two things, I think he broke the law.

I've let Scousers off. If i worked based on bias, they'd have got 6 months.

I had to let them off because they were innocent.

daz

LE
Why do you think my opinion on Mr. Cummings is in any way affected by bias?

I'm going purely on two things:

1. The relevant law

2. What Mr. Cummings said he did.

All I'm saying is that, on those two things, I think he broke the law.

I've let Scousers off. If i worked based on bias, they'd have got 6 months.

I had to let them off because they were innocent.
Can I be the first to say, what a load of bollocks

Latest Threads