The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
So have PHE and the Durham Police, and said so - it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Just been reading the comments on a Spectator article - apparently the fact of his son's autism was well known and certain elements of the media were hoping to force him to use it as an excuse and then get him for hiding behind his child. If that's true, that's utterly despicable.
As you say if true, it is despicable. But sadly it would not come as a surprise.

So have PHE and the Durham Police, and said so - it doesn't seem to have made much difference.

Just been reading the comments on a Spectator article - apparently the fact of his son's autism was well known and certain elements of the media were hoping to force him to use it as an excuse and then get him for hiding behind his child. If that's true, that's utterly despicable.
I thought it most interesting he did not mention it, as if he knew or had information, that it would be sold as you describe... The uncharitable nature of the media, is starkly in contrast to how it sees itself and I'm certain for instance if Cummings had being a woman, then the approach would still be a gotcha, but a lot more based on factual evidence and less hyperbole, which implies cummings is some kind of monster.

Chef

LE
A few pages back Wetsmonkey posted this short but insightful opinion on Durham police actions:

I am now happy that the trip to Durham has been assessed as lawful. I am also happy that the trip to BC has been assessed as unlawful, with NFA.

Not everyone out is an infraction, that is an incorrect statement. Cummings trip to BC was what we always thought it was. Not serious, but not what Cummings tried to say it was.
As he was very much 'against' Mr Cumming's actions I'd say that if he's satisfied with the investigation and police decision that should be enough for both sides of the argument.

The only ones left are those who want him crucified for some reason or another, those who want him sent on his way with sixpence out the poor box and the media who've pursued this to the point where if nothing further is done they could be shown up for the biased, vindictive bunch of speculators that they come across as.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A few pages back Wetsmonkey posted this short but insightful opinion on Durham police actions:

As he was very much 'against' Mr Cumming's actions I'd say that if he's satisfied with the investigation and police decision that should be enough for both sides of the argument.

The only ones left are those who want him crucified for some reason or another, those who want him sent on his way with sixpence out the poor box and the media who've pursued this to the point where if nothing further is done they could be shown up for the biased, vindictive bunch of speculators that they come across as.
He was still banging on it about this morning though. almost as if he wasn't satisfied. It's most amusing to watch the knots the teary are tying themselves in.
BJ has all the evidence that’s needed to put this thing to bed. He told us so.

I'm not a self styled JP, it came from some geezer in the then Government.
If we accept that you are indeed a magistrate (doubtful but never mind) and if we further accept that magistrates are laypeople* who depend on a legal adviser to hold their hands when it comes to the law...

... are you missing your legal adviser? Funny how a magistrate works with an adviser but thinks a prime minister shouldn’t.

I don't think he's a good man, and I'm uneasy about the whole SPAD thing in some ways.

*Laypeople are people without any formal legal training. They can also be called lay magistrates, lay Justices or Justices of the Peace. Lay people are magistrates in the magistrates’ court and juries in the crown court. Most lay people are appointed by the Lord Chancellor who chooses about 1500 people each year taken from the country’s elector list.

Truxx

LE
So here we are about a week on. Let's have a quick tot up of who is still bleating about it:

Spec-op1989

Wets

The Guardian (with easily the lamest front page article ever along the lines of " some MPs have received some critical emails about Cummings actions)

The New European. With the sidesplittingly amusing headline "nerd immunity"

And

That's it. This, ladies gentlemen boys and girls tells us everything that we need to know.

Close the thread.

Last edited:
If we accept that you are indeed a magistrate (doubtful but never mind) and if we further accept that magistrates are laypeople* who depend on a legal adviser to hold their hands when it comes to the law...

... are you missing your legal adviser? Funny how a magistrate works with an adviser but thinks a prime minister shouldn’t.

*Laypeople are people without any formal legal training. They can also be called lay magistrates, lay Justices or Justices of the Peace. Lay people are magistrates in the magistrates’ court and juries in the crown court. Most lay people are appointed by the Lord Chancellor who chooses about 1500 people each year taken from the country’s elector list.

I've not sat for some years, but technically still a JP.

Mr. Cummings's own version of events makes it extremely clear that he broke the law.

It's disturbing that you let your bias affect your judgement.

A poll of about 1000 people.Aye that will represent the entire country I'm sure.Also no mention of the questions asked in the poll.
Whereas the Momentum poll mention below your post polled some 58,000 people. Much more likely to represent a good cross section of voters.

Latest Threads