The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

anglo

LE
Quite so. Everyone else can deliver cake in Wales, drive all over Skye and go to a large funeral without getting monstered by the media but, if you're Dominic Cummings, you're not allowed to look after your little boy according to the guidelines without Princess Emily denouncing you on the BBC and being hounded by a press pack which demonstrated its profound concern for public safety by conspicuously ignoring any need for social distancing.

It is unfair and hypocritical but he's taking it on the chin and getting on with his life, so good on him. Glad we finally agree on something.
Without Princess Emily denouncing you on the BBC

She just says the words, the editor writes the scrip, he should take the sh*t
{Mind you, she is so far left wing she has two left hands}

Which leads to the final responsibility of the Editor; accountability. While the output editor will deal with the small rows around a particular programme - and some are inevitable - it is the Editor who has to explain why decisions were made or how - in spite of evidence to the contrary - the programme did uphold the highest standards and values.

Or if it didn't, apologise.

He's been vindicated by the officials who've investigated the case and found nothing material because the regulations admit to mitigations which apply to Cummings's actions and which you are studiously ignoring.

If your house is on fire, you really are not required to stay at home, despite this scenario not being specifically addressed in the regulations.

Don't get me wrong here- I really couldn't care less about his Odyssey because my view is that the whole Coronazombie thing is absurdly overblown anyway.

Different conversation.

On this news story, what bothers me is the worrying tendency of partisan people to ignore clear facts in order to attack or defend "their" man.

It's all getting a bit American.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Did. It's bleeding obvious, assuming (1) he has described his actions accurately as reported and (2) we are talking about this legislation.

I'm sure Durham plod crafted their comments carefully, in a "please make this crap stop, we have better things to do" frame of mind.
I'm as sure as I can be that letting Cummings off the hook if he was bang to rights would not be the way to 'make this crap stop'.

Chef

LE
'You can lead a horse to water.
But you can't make it drink'.

Discuss using real life examples.

Peterson is a big intellect and yet even he has problems, due to his wife's illness and is a lesson to us all, that no man is an island.... My own problems are managed well enough and my hair growing back was nice.

On psychology and data, your right its a growing area and if your not too biased, I would recommend you watch cummings video on youtube about how he turned the brexit referendum. He brought science and behaviour into the campaign and the other side were at a complete loss what was going on.

Oh I know about the techniques used - I know how they targeted people with specific personality traits - e.g. people high in neuroticism were targeted with fearful adverts on Facebook etc etc etc. It's an interesting area that I think is going to be difficult to regulate.

I actually turned down a similar role years ago, as a psychologist in a recruitment company that uses video-games to assess the personality of graduate scheme applicants. Found it a bit too creepy actually, as not sure the kids were aware of the sort of info they were giving up by playing what seemed like a harmless computer game.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Don't get me wrong here- I really couldn't care less about his Odyssey because my view is that the whole Coronazombie thing is absurdly overblown anyway.

Different conversation.

On this news story, what bothers me is the worrying tendency if partisan people to ignore clear facts in order to attack or defend "their" man.

It's all getting a bit American.
Agreed, which is why I posted what would make me change my view and did so before Cummings addressed the nation.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
You may be right, the poor buggers are damned if they do, damned if they don't.

I think the Durham coppers have played a poor hand rather well.
Nope, they've just had to tell the children that Santa doesn't exist.

Your description...are you sure your talking about British politicians? They usually look like they get their clothes from Tesco.
Find me a Conservative cabinet member who dresses out of Tesco’s? No such animal exists although I’d grant you that there are plenty of non cabinet member MP’s from all the parties who might fit that description!

daz

LE
Remember when the bloke you are pointing the obvious out to claimed to have been a J.P. :excited:
Did he?? I just thought he's been allocated as our part-time pound shop Marxist now Bugsy's disappeared :)

Oh I know about the techniques used - I know how they targeted people with specific personality traits - e.g. people high in neuroticism were targeted with fearful adverts on Facebook etc etc etc. It's an interesting area that I think is going to be difficult to regulate.

I actually turned down a similar role years ago, as a psychologist in a recruitment company that uses video-games to assess the personality of graduate scheme applicants. Found it a bit too creepy actually, as not sure the kids were aware of the sort of info they were giving up by playing what seemed like a harmless computer game.
I can certainly see why you would turn it down as its morally difficult. But in some perverse way, the social media and behaviourists are simply doing what psychology has always done i.e. listen to people and cut through the Jungian façade to find out what people really want and think.

In the case of brexit, your looking at a sense of loss and the feeling that we no longer had control.
In the case of cummings, your looking at a group of managers and leaders who have the same sense, that cummings is a threat to their control and why the establishment were so excited to bin him off. Its all thoroughly interesting.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Without Princess Emily denouncing you on the BBC

She just says the words, the editor writes the scrip, he should take the sh*t
{Mind you, she is so far left wing she has two left hands}

Which leads to the final responsibility of the Editor; accountability. While the output editor will deal with the small rows around a particular programme - and some are inevitable - it is the Editor who has to explain why decisions were made or how - in spite of evidence to the contrary - the programme did uphold the highest standards and values.

Or if it didn't, apologise.
Emily says she asked for the night off (and got two off) and was not binned by the BBC. Fair enough and probably impossible to prove. However, when (if) she returns to the screen she should be made to reiterate the apology the BBC made about her behaviour and add her apology. I expect that won't happen though.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Did he?? I just thought he's been allocated as our part-time pound shop Marxist now Bugsy's disappeared :)
He also called the police filth, another thing he's forgotten. He forgets a lot of things and gets very teary when reminded about them.

Emily says she asked for the night off (and got two off) and was not binned by the BBC. Fair enough and probably impossible to prove. However, when (if) she returns to the screen she should be made to reiterate the apology the BBC made about her behaviour and add her apology. I expect that won't happen though.
Can you imagine the 'canteen culture' of the BBC current affairs team? I've seen a bit of it on the programme that replaced Andrew Neil after QT and the participants are difficult to distinguish from the HIGNFY panel except their expressed anti-establishment views are more vitriolic than satirical.