The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

* entering the lists - old RN expression - being put forward or putting oneself forward for consideration for promotion, a process involving what were known as "station lists"
Charming, but wrong.

Lists were the barriers down the centre of mediaeval jousting tournaments. Thus, "entering the lists" describes entering into a competition.

You're welcome.

I once did a behavioural psychology course related to my day job and have a fair understanding of psychology and the law of reciprocity, has an inverse darker element, where the perception is Johnson/Cummings have done many terrible things and this story was a chance to dole out some payback.

The lockdown will have created a serious mental health crisis and to an extent the theory of cummings derangement syndrome will have at the core a medical diagnosis. So the costs will have being well worth it to reduce somewhat the conspiracy theorists who were already nudging into the theory that the old dark forces were getting that evil cummings off the hook.
That said, it doesn’t need a qualification in mental health problems to see the agenda that is driving this.
It would be quite refreshing if the haters on this thread (and other places) could be honest and actually admit this is more about the ongoing efforts to undermine the PM, and very little to do with Cummings.

Charming, but wrong.

Lists were the barriers down the centre of mediaeval jousting tournaments. Thus, "entering the lists" describes entering into a competition.

You're welcome.
Charming, but wrong. The barriers you refer to are called tilts. Hence the expression going “full tilt” ie at speed.
You’re welcome.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Ems, I gave your post a 'funny' but really if so that is a sad state of affairs.

That said, it doesn’t need a qualification in mental health problems to see the agenda that is driving this.
It would be quite refreshing if the haters on this thread (and other places) could be honest and actually admit this is more about the ongoing efforts to undermine the PM, and very little to do with Cummings.
A clever man once said that "all the worlds a stage" and people on lockdown saw this story as presented, in clear and stark terms that said, you are noble and cummings is a s***. Like an old greek morality play of good and evil, with the general public(audience) able to feel good about themselves.

The twist that cummings is largely innocent and in fact the people have being somewhat manipulated, is something on reflection, we will see how that rides out in the polling over the next three months. My view is those who hate boris will lurch into conspiracy, those neutral will accept the facts and those who supported boris before will simply write it off as a blip and move on.

Truxx

LE
Enter
Even earlier
goes back to early medieval jousting,
contestants would be put forward by their valet/ steward, And thence entered the lists ( of combatants).and unless it was going to be a specific contest ( a headline act in modern parlance), the names were put into then drawn out of a hat And the lists of combat pairs posted.
sorry for drift.
Wow that I did not know. Thank you . If only I had known that back in the 90s where I found myself running not one but two station lists ( one headed up by the vice chief) I am sure I could have twisted that genesis to prove that the RN had in fact stolen the expression from the Army.

anglo

LE
Except when PMBJ does not allow them to speak
When they [the scientists] were asked the question by the press, BJ said "please answer that question" to
the scientists, and they gave their answer, to bad if their answer is not what you wanted to hear

I once did a behavioural psychology course related to my day job and have a fair understanding of psychology and the law of reciprocity, has an inverse darker element, where the perception is Johnson/Cummings have done many terrible things and this story was a chance to dole out some payback.

The lockdown will have created a serious mental health crisis and to an extent the theory of cummings derangement syndrome will have at the core a medical diagnosis. So the costs will have being well worth it to reduce somewhat the conspiracy theorists who were already nudging into the theory that the old dark forces were getting that evil cummings off the hook.
Yeah, because there are lots of behavioural psychology courses for SalesForce developers.....

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Even earlier goes back to early medieval jousting, contestants would be put forward by their valet/ steward, And thence entered the lists ( of combatants).and unless it was going to be a specific contest ( a headline act in modern parlance), the names were put into then drawn out of a hat And the lists of combat pairs posted.
sorry for drift.
Charming, but wrong.
You're welcome.
Both wrong in fact, " The lists, or list field, was the arena where a jousting event was held. More precisely, it was the roped-off enclosure where tournament fighting took place. In the late medieval period, castles and palaces were augmented by purpose-built tiltyards as a venue for "jousting tournaments"

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It's got everything to do with Cummings - Left/Remain saw a golden opportunity to take out Boris's key adviser. The reason they failed was the same reason that you're not going to get the admission you've asked for - they all got emotionally and intellectually over-invested in the answer they wanted without being clear on the facts and their style of politics is to admit nothing and concede nothing.

Once it was clear that Cummings was justified in driving up to Durham and hadn't made repeat journeys back to London, the wise heads read the runes and backed off while the one-eyed simply refused to believe they were holding a lump of Fool's Gold and doubled down on the extreme evil of a zero-interaction drive to Barnard Castle.

It's got everything to do with Cummings - Left/Remain saw a golden opportunity to take out Boris's key adviser. The reason they failed was the same reason that you're not going to get the admission you've asked for - they all got emotionally and intellectually over-invested in the answer they wanted without being clear on the facts and their style of politics is to admit nothing and concede nothing.

Once it was clear that Cummings was justified in driving up to Durham and hadn't made repeat journeys back to London, the wise heads read the runes and backed off while the one-eyed simply refused to believe they were holding a lump of Fool's Gold and doubled down on the extreme evil of a zero-interaction drive to Barnard Castle.
One rule for some.....

Cummings is an archetype for a person who challenged the idea, that a person has an absolute authority if they're happen to have a qualification, or had served in post for a long time. Crucially the media, who report the news have not sufficiently explored failure and cummings seems to see them as complicit in failure i.e. if a problem has existed for a long time, then those in charge are failing and really don't have all the answers and the media are reinforcing that failure.

Cumming is extremely dangerous and the glee he had broken the law and publically so, was a reinforcement of the centrally held belief that the man was beyond the pale. The failure to pin anything on him has being a very depressive episode and why denial is everywhere.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
One rule for some.....
Quite so. Everyone else can deliver cake in Wales, drive all over Skye and go to a large funeral without getting monstered by the media but, if you're Dominic Cummings, you're not allowed to look after your little boy according to the guidelines without Princess Emily denouncing you on the BBC and being hounded by a press pack which demonstrated its profound concern for public safety by conspicuously ignoring any need for social distancing.

It is unfair and hypocritical but he's taking it on the chin and getting on with his life, so good on him. Glad we finally agree on something.

Latest Threads