The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

Yeah, of course, they said he was in the clear. Not that it's particularly up to them, mind, for now we still sort of have courts.

Again-read the Regulations, read what Mr. Cummings said, draw your own conclusions.
Why are they, the Durham Plod, not referring him to the CPS/courts then?

Dominic Cummings has just been sighted on the A12, after being overhead to ask for the directions to the Parachute Regiment Officers mess in Colchester

Archie

It's LITERALLY like being in Nazi Germany apparently. . .

I wasn't there and wasn't born then, but I know what it was like, the repression I never went through left its mark on me...
...wibble...

All of this too-ing and fro-ing reminds me of a Simon and Garfunkel tune, more specifically the lines:
“‘Til a man hears want he wants to hear and disregards the rest.”

The police are not the courts and don’t find people guilty. The process of law if activated will come to a conclusion. Cummings has evidence that he can now produce. I’m waiting, but not holding my breath.
Oh please, go on, hold your breath. For as long as you can. A couple of hours should do it.

A bit more of your fact free facts Inspector?

I have just read the statement and it says,

“and have concluded that there might have been a minor breach of the regulations that would have College of Policing 4Es: Engage, Explain and Encourage before Enforcement.”

Better yet, the BBC (15 minutes ago) leads with:
Dominic Cummings 'might have broken lockdown rules' - police
Cummings 'might have broken lockdown rules' - police

Or

Beff Rigby (Sky News) tweets...

Durham Police statement.
- Concludes DC didn’t breach regulations going to Durham
- Barnard Castle might have been a minor breach of regulations and police would have asked Mr Cummings to return back to his address.
- No intention to take further retrospective action
The PM's top aide Dominic Cummings might have broken lockdown rules but it would have been a "minor breach," Durham Police have said.

The force said his journey from London to Durham, to isolate with his sick wife and son, was within the law.

But his 50-mile round-trip to Barnard Castle 15 days later "might have warranted a police intervention".

The force said it would not be taking retrospective action against Mr Cummings

One of Cummings's actions was within the law and one of his actions 'might have' broken the law which 'might have' warranted a police intervention. This phrase 'might have' leaves room for doubt and uncertainty, unlike the words 'did' or 'had'. which would be an absolute indictment of having committed an offence.

Downing Street said the prime minister now "regards this issue as closed" - but Labour and the SNP are continuing to call on him to sack Mr Cummings.

Not in any way surprised by the SNP and Labour wanting Cummings to be sacked, they must hate him with a passion and see this as the best chance to get rid of him. All any government minister now needs to say in response to any question on Cummings is "the matter is now closed and we will not be taking any further questions" and repeat that ad infinitum every time a journalist (ha! Mouth breather more like) asks the question. They'll soon get bored of it.

In a week's time this will be forgotten in the same way as Trumps bleachgate furore has been.

Yeah, of course, they said he was in the clear. Not that it's particularly up to them, mind, for now we still sort of have courts.

Again-read the Regulations, read what Mr. Cummings said, draw your own conclusions.
Who is going to bring him before the courts?

His last sentence says,
Once the new wave of journalists take the reins, the governments of the future will have to up their game.

What he means,

A bigger shower of Bastards is on the way
Very good piece and illustrates what a number of us have been saying about taking on DC in a prepared position. The media lazily assumed he had been dragged out to face the music, and had not prepared for him throwing in some unanticipated curve balls of his own.

But, BJ and DC should make no mistake, this was their Albuhera; a nail-biting Pyrrhic victory that Cummings only narrowly survived - clear lessons to be learned here too. Notably, don't take even a supportive and sympathetic public for fools or for granted...

3ToedSloth

Old-Salt
Those who work to set and shape the rules that govern this nation must be seen to show respect to the laws themselves (including the spirit of the law). I always thought the Conservatives were supposed to be the party of law and order...

DC has an extraordinary amount of power and influence for an unelected advisor. Arguments about whether he broke the law are somewhat irrelevant here. There are plenty of examples where a prominent government representative has not broken any law, but they have resigned when they have fallen short of the standards expected by the public. The real question is whether or not this will have an impact on public health and if DC's actions (and BJ's response) are deemed hypocritical by the public, who have had their civil liberties curtailed for months. We don't want this to result in a total rejection of lockdown too early, which leads to more deaths and negative impact on the economy.

Ah, here we are again. He has to prove his innocence now does he? How long do you think that the Durham police will wait before issuing yet another statement? Smoke and mirrors eh - good police work?
DP can choose to pursue this offence... ironically it would mean travelling to London and being within 2 metres of him to interview him under caution.. At that stage if he chooses to say nothing they either have to drop it or arrest him. Now i'm not sure what the protocol is for inter-plod arrests but it would be very ironic indeed if they had to drive him back to Durham...

"We don't want this to result in a total rejection of lockdown too early, which leads to more deaths and negative impact on the economy. "

Across all the states that have taken COVID measures some have used compulsory lockdowns some have not. There isn't clear statistical evidence that a compulsory lockdown is of any practical benefit.. Mostly because of the number of confounding factors and the basic issue that the data's crap it's unlikely there will ever be such evidence..

As for the story that we were all being good boys and girls until we found out about DC's alleged transgression.. that is obviously not true...

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Very good piece and illustrates what a number of us have been saying about taking on DC in a prepared position. The media lazily assumed he had been dragged out to face the music, and had not prepared for him throwing in some unanticipated curve balls of his own.

But, BJ and DC should make no mistake, this was their Albuhera; a nail-biting Pyrrhic victory that Cummings only narrowly survived - clear lessons to be learned here too. Notably, don't take even a supportive and sympathetic public for fools or for granted...
With BJ shouting to DC "Die Hard, Dom, Die Hard"? :)

Latest Threads