The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

A **** for a **** of a job.
Choirboys need not apply, not even with references from our Bishops.

Blogg

LE
I'm sympathetic to the intent but not to any organisation calling itself mediascum. The media may do a cr@p job a lot of the time but they do do a job and we'd miss them if they weren't there. What we need to do is to hold them to higher standards, particularly those in receipt of public funds and with a directive to be impartial.
Indeed.

See @Dread post, the difference between Ferguson & DC is that DC followed the rules by taking his child to a place of safety, Ferguson was caught shagging without a reason*

*Apart from getting his leg over
He shouldn't have left his home, them's the rules. Him and his Mrs took the virus out of London.

When I suspect something and say it, I’m blasted for having no evidence and told what a poor cop I must be on a debate forum.

I don’t doubt that he had encouraged her. It would be ludicrous to say otherwise. He didn’t invent some outlandish bullshit excuse though did he, expecting the public to meekly accept it. He took it on the chin and resigned, having broken no laws.
If you did something outside of your job that neither broke the law, brought the police service into disrepute or invited a case for a charge of professional misconduct, would you resign from your job just to satisfy someone else's moral outrage?

No. Due to his own self-interest, he (and his bezzer DC) have damaged public respect for the health message. This will inevitably mean some of the hard-of-thinking will do things they shouldn't and some people, possibly those who continue to behave themselves but nonetheless encounter the hard-of-thinking will die. I don't doubt some of this behaviour will have happened this past Bank Holiday weekend.

Those are the deaths BoJo will be responsible for. And all because he can't function without DC.

Still, as long as he plays the hardman, one can assume you're happy for those innocents to die.
People were doing things they weren't supposed to long before Cummings did what he was allowed to do within the guidelines. Even if he hadn't done it the hard of thinking would still do what they were not supposed do without having a legitimate reason. Some people are just like that. There will always be people who do something because somebody else has done something, even though the two somethings bear no relation to each other in any way.

People are responsible for their own actions so if they take the decision to do something that results in their own death they are not innocent and Boris didn't force them to do it. If they die it's their own fault and to blame Boris for that is the biggest pile of bollox I've heard in a long time. If you really believe that you need to take a long hard look at yourself because that attitude is the same as blaming a car driver for the death of a joy rider who breaks into the owner's car, steals it and then kills himself whilst driving away at stupid speeds.

Oops

War Hero
I thought I'd watch BBC News 24 'The papers' for a giggle...

The anchor managed to bring it up quite tactfully, then the bint with the tint( maybe it's a good suntan, I really dont know or care) who has those mad unblinking eyes and the skew whiff mouth set off like only she can.......

Feck she's loopy, to counter her was a quiet, refined and obviously far more intelligent journalist ( Anna......)who sat politely until called... she got three words in before Loopy Lou set off over her...
Itd be interesting to wonder if they are paid by the word, Sonja ( for that's what I caught her name to be, Mr Anchor drooled over her more and more as the prog went on) would be as rich as Millionairess Emily by prog. end.....

The law matter has passed, it was at the time, now its way more important than £30. Its about whether people feel inclined to follow unenforceable and voluntary guidelines to save thousands more lives.
I think I disagree, which is, like, kinda, the second or third time in a few days.

Two main things.

First- is the law shit?

Second- if it isn't, why is the PM acting like it doesn't matter?

To me, an analogy would be speeding. Doing 34 in a 30 zone is an absolute thing, no "reasonable" discussion to be had, but bear with me.

If Mr. Cummings had been, somehow, bang-to-rights by a newspaper doing 34 in a 30 zone, the arguments are very closely related to the actual story; it's about both increased risk to others, and adherence to law.

I understand the "reasonable excuse" element of Reg. 6 in the The Health Protection (Coronavirus, Restrictions) (England) Regulations 2020, which doesn't apply to speeding, let's not go there.

Regardless of the current pandemic and any opinions you may have, we are seeing a public figure, closely associated with the Prime Minister, effectively defended by Government over a clear breach of current law.

I'm interested in the effect on public behaviour around health protection measures, but also in the effect on wider concepts of the rule of law and integrity of Government and Government officials and politicians.

People were doing things they weren't supposed to long before Cummings did what he was allowed to do within the guidelines. Even if he hadn't done it the hard of thinking would still do what they were not supposed do without having a legitimate reason. Some people are just like that. There will always be people who do something because somebody else has done something, even though the two somethings bear no relation to each other in any way.

People are responsible for their own actions so if they take the decision to do something that results in their own death they are not innocent and Boris didn't force them to do it. If they die it's their own fault and to blame Boris for that is the biggest pile of bollox I've heard in a long time. If you really believe that you need to take a long hard look at yourself because that attitude is the same as blaming a car driver for the death of a joy rider who breaks into the owner's car, steals it and then kills himself whilst driving away at stupid speeds.
None of that stops Mr. Cummings being a cunt, nor Mr. Johnson being weak.
If you did something outside of your job that neither broke the law, brought the police service into disrepute or invited a case for a charge of professional misconduct, would you resign from your job just to satisfy someone else's moral outrage?
But Mr. Cummings did break the law.

"To me, an analogy would be speeding. Doing 34 in a 30 zone is an absolute thing, no "reasonable" discussion to be had "

but doing 110 in a 30 zone with a major arterial bleed in the back seat as you hurtle towards casualty ??? reasonable is always dependent on the circumstances...

There's also another issue in that the Scottish regulations contain the necessary wording* to make the offence one of absolute liability i.e burden of proof to innocence is on the defence. The England Wales regulations do not, so proof that the defendants actions were unreasonable is on the prosecution.

"
8.—(1) A person who contravenes a requirement in regulation 3 to 7 commits an offence.

(2) A person who obstructs any person carrying out a function under these Regulations commits an offence.

(3) A person who contravenes a direction given under regulation 7, or fails to comply with a reasonable instruction or a prohibition notice given by a relevant person under regulation 7, commits an offence.

(4) It is a defence to a charge of committing an offence under paragraph (1), (2) or (3) to show that the person, in the circumstances, had a reasonable excuse."

No such section in the English/Welsh restrictions Contrast that with CJA 88 Section 139 which establishes an absolute liability offence wrt carrying sharp/pointed/edged objects..
"
139Offence of having article with blade or point in public place.E+W
(1)Subject to subsections (4) and (5) below, any person who has an article to which this section applies with him in a public place shall be guilty of an offence.

(2)Subject to subsection (3) below, this section applies to any article which has a blade or is sharply pointed except a folding pocketknife.

(3)This section applies to a folding pocketknife if the cutting edge of its blade exceeds 3 inches.

(4)It shall be a defence for a person charged with an offence under this section to prove that he had good reason or lawful authority for having the article with him in a public place."

It may well be that the offences wrt Covid-19 in England/Wales are intended to be absolute, but the law isn't about what you'd like it's about what you done wrote....

None of that stops Mr. Cummings being a ****, nor Mr. Johnson being weak.

But Mr. Cummings did break the law.
If you think Cummings is a cnut then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, I know others feel the same way but I don't. I don't think BoJo is being weak. He has had his discussion with Cummings and clearly accepted his version of events. I know Boris has wielded the sword over various Tory MPs when he needed to do so or felt he had to impose his authority so we know he is not afraid to act. Were he to sack Cummings as a result of the media witch hunt that to me would be a sign of weakness. A Prime Minister giving in and bowing to the pressure of an agenda-driven toxic media is not a good thing to do; they'd just go after him over something else. Time and again until he is hounded out of office.

If Cummings broke the law why hasn't he been arrested? I'm sure that after such a high profile fuss is being made the police would be under a lot of pressure to bring this notorious criminal to justice and feel his collar for such an odious crime.

BTW, thanks for the 'dumb', have one of your own.

You didn't read my post. Or read it selectively to suit your own agenda. Weak. Are you BoJo or DC?

daz

LE
He shouldn't have left his home, them's the rules. Him and his Mrs took the virus out of London.
Wrong again, that act was permitted under the rules, as has been explained many times before

Truxx

LE
I have often encouraged posters to be wary of opinion masquerading as fact.

" Cummings breaks lockdown rules by driving to Durham" is exactly that. There is an element of fact. The drive.

the rest, well that is an opinion. A suposition. A hypothesis even. As is the modern way rather than setting out to prove it, the approach is to continue to repeat it in the hope (expectation even) that it sticks.

But it is not a fact no matter how much some wish it were.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
If I am shown evidence that shows that Cummings has done no wrong, I’m happy to move on as BJ keeps saying we need to.
Bollox. You have that evidence as produced by both the PM and DC but have no intention of believing it. You will only accept resignation because, in your bigoted eyes, Boris is bad therefore anything associated with him is bad.

If you think Cummings is a cnut then that's your opinion and you are entitled to it, I know others feel the same way but I don't. I don't think BoJo is being weak. He has had his discussion with Cummings and clearly accepted his version of events. I know Boris has wielded the sword over various Tory MPs when he needed to do so or felt he had to impose his authority so we know he is not afraid to act. Were he to sack Cummings as a result of the media witch hunt that to me would be a sign of weakness. A Prime Minister giving in and bowing to the pressure of an agenda-driven toxic media is not a good thing to do; they'd just go after him over something else. Time and again until he is hounded out of office.

If Cummings broke the law why hasn't he been arrested? I'm sure that after such a high profile fuss is being made the police would be under a lot of pressure to bring this notorious criminal to justice and feel his collar for such an odious crime.

BTW, thanks for the 'dumb', have one of your own.
IF the PM were to sack him, on the basis of not breaking the rules (public health england), then he would look weak and your bang on the money, that he actually looks stronger to front up to the media and his own MPs, standing on his opinion, as the man in charge.

I should say; watching look north east(korea) we had the former durham chief constable demanding his movements be tracked and all resources placed into an investigation (nice to know the priorities). If they're found something, he would have to go, but until that time, the PM has surprised me and actually impressed me greatly, by resisting the pressure, rather than take the easy option of sacking him.

we had the former chief constable demanding his movements be tracked and all resources placed into an investigation (nice to know the priorities).
He seems to be the BBC ‘go to man’ on this story and for an ex Chief of Police, he seems very animated about all this. He comes across as bitter about something, does he have his own agenda?

He seems to be the BBC ‘go to man’ on this story and for an ex Chief of Police, he seems very animated about all this. He comes across as bitter about something, does he have his own agenda?
Anyone who attains senior rank in the police force these days is intensely political and has an agenda... We also have two former officers both arguing against cummings:-
Barton - Left leaning and thinks cummings is selfish (clearly never being on a school run).
Stoddart - He of the hillsbough enquiry and I would imagine is more the establishment voice.

P.S. Nothing worse than Durham Geordies, if cummings came out as a black and white I would happily see him burned in a wicker man.

daz

LE
Maybe time to give it a rest eh?

And yet, Sir Keir has pronounced a guilty verdict, he's a bit late to the party, he's also wrong

Latest Threads