The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

IIRC Hancock told the Padre he would speak to the Treasury about the subject, then write to said Padre with the result.
That was during the Q&A.
Immediately afterwards, on the 6 o’Clock R4 news, LK and the newscaster morphed that into ‘Hancock said he will review’.
The media twisting the facts again - quelle surprise.

Someone's had way too much time on their hands!

Telegraph compiler Tim King noted that: STAY ALERT; CONTROL THE VIRUS; SAVE LIVES

Anagrams to: EASILY SURVIVES TRAVEL NORTH TO CASTLE

The poll was held last night i.e. an internet poll and lets just say, I would eat paddy ashdowns hat if that poll was accurate.
I've actually been surprised by the breadth of anger; I mean, as one of those remoaning tossers (who predicted no sacking / no resignation), you won't be at all surprised to find that I think Cummings is a weasel. But I was very surprised that one strongly Conservative friend and another UKIP-supporting friend were livid with him; I'd assumed that things would be roughly split along party lines.

Basically, his explanation is right up there with Oliver North's (if you're old enough), Jeffrey Archer's, or Jonathan Aitken's (if you're slightly younger). The Faithful lapped up the explanation, the rest of us went "aye, right...". At least he didn't make cheesy comments about the simple sword of truth and the trusty shield of fair play...

...and he's smart enough not to try and sue the papers for libel, because of the risk that they've got other evidence they could bring out in court (as Aitken discovered, as he headed off at Her Majesty's Pleasure).

Last edited:

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
I've actually been surprised by the breadth of anger; I mean, as one of those remoaning tossers (who predicted no sacking / no resignation), you won't be at all surprised to find that I think Cummings is a weasel. But I was very surprised that one strongly Conservative friend and another UKIP-supporting friend were livid with him; I'd assumed that things would be roughly split along party lines.

Basically, his explanation is right up there with Oliver North's (if you're old enough), Jeffrey Archer's, or Jonathan Aitken's (if you're slightly younger). The Faithful lapped up the explanation, the rest of us went "aye, right...". At least he didn't make cheesy comments about the sword of truth and the trusty shield of fair play...

...and he's smart enough not to try and sue the papers for libel, because of the risk that they've got other evidence they could bring out in court (as Aitken discovered, as he headed off at Her Majesty's Pleasure).
I don't read it that way. I can't recall who said it, Grant or Wellington I think, but it illustrates perfectly the view that things are never as good or as bad as first reported.

A fair few organisations bet the farm on taking Cummings's scalp and now everyone's going to have four years to reflect. You could feel the heat leaving this thread as today wore on.

The Faithful lapped up the explanation, the rest of us went "aye, right...".
Those not ignorant of the rules and how to apply them accept what he did as reasonable. Ignorant people, especially those who hate him are interpreting the rules to suit their agenda.

You appear to be doing the same.

Let's focus on 4. for a minute. Not that the rest of the special pleading is unproblematic, it's just that this bit is particularly funny.

4. Covid does cause eyesight problems and his drive out is pretty much what everyone did in the lockdown, outside of london.

What part of the regulations allows a unnecessary car journey?

What loophole is there that allows a car journey to "test ones eyesight"?

What bit of common sense is there in making any kind of car journey, let alone with your child and wife in the car, if you think your eyesight has been affected by disease?

Can you justify this statement: "his drive out is pretty much what everyone did in the lockdown, outside London"? Because it seems to me that this is one of the things that was explicitly forbidden, and although a tiny minority of people were doing it, it actually resulted in many people being fined and/or warned by the Police.
He was taking one for the team in that statement and not throwing his missus under the bus.

If you have ever travelled with a small child, particularly one which the Mum might be fretting about, it's not a single day pack move - it's monstrous. No grab bags any more - the last one you took in a child care scenario was to the delivery ward.

In the past, I had more in the car for an afternoon trip out than a 3 week exercise in a previous life (and even then that was in a landy with trailer!). Kids have their own gravity and attract planet size amounts of crap to their orbit.

Mary was obviously giving it big licks about "how can you drive?" to avoid having to pack the car ( did you note how Dom stuttered over the "go back to pack the car" line - classic PTSD flashback stuff..)

So the trip was to present a fait accompli to his missus, who was probably enjoying the rural idyll and not being door-stepped by the great media unwashed in London. Dom obviously needed to get back to work and running an influence Op on the stick-in-the-mud missus evidently classifies as essential in these circumstances.

I'd guess most parents who have had to do a retreat to/from Moscow* car move are either sympathetic to him or pissed off with themselves at their poor excuse/influence skills.

I'd estimate most of the media as either childless or serial au-pair abusers, so blithe to the reality of what they were grilling him about.

*Mothercare, in-laws or pub with a garden may be substituted here

Last edited:

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
In what way. That’s how polls are done.
Polls such as those are not typical of the statistical population. If statistics are to be worth considering at least 100,000 items should be taken into account for a suitable distribution.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Polls such as those are not typical of the statistical population. If statistics are to be worth considering at least 100,000 items should be taken into account for a suitable distribution.
He gave the momentum one with a much larger sampling, which showed support for Cummings at 57.5% a jolly good ignoring for some reason.

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Those not ignorant of the rules and how to apply them accept what he did as reasonable. Ignorant people, especially those who hate him are interpreting the rules to suit their agenda.

It looks like there’s a lot more now feel what he did wasn’t reasonable. A government can survive dislike and loathing. (See Thatcher) what it can’t survive is ridicule. And that’s the way it’s going.

Boris may well get to be Churchillian yet, in the way of an ignominious bums rush.

That's not the perception of the majority unfortunately, faithful or not.

It a blessing the majority have people like you to tell them what they're thinking, guv'nor.
I haven't worked for the fuckers since mid April - but I appreciate the sentiment.

Some interesting fringe claims as to why DC wanted to get back to London ASAP

He also quotes the Torygraph
The Telegraph‘s Jeremy Warner gave us an insight on May 12th, well before the hysteria about a man driving a car to his parents house kicked in. I’ve added emphasis for your convenience:

Engulfed by the pandemic, there are rather bigger fish for everyone to fry than Britain’s future relationship with the EU. Under prior instructions from their political masters, negotiators on both sides of the fence exist in a bubble all of their own, seemingly oblivious to the storm raging outside – yesterday’s battles being fought against the backdrop of a world in transformation.

Past obsessions have been rendered virtually irrelevant by the Covid-19 threat, yet they persist unperturbed amid the confusion of Zoom calls; it is the curse of David Frost and Michel Barnier, the British and EU chief negotiators respectively, to carry on regardless.

A deal to extend the transition in light of the crisis had been all but agreed at official level. The EU was to have spared the UK’s blushes by proposing it, rather than the other way around. This would have allowed the UK government to present the concession as a favour to the EU, rather than a climbdown.

But then Dominic Cummings, the Prime Minister’s chief adviser, returned and the plan, concocted by underlings while he and Boris Johnson were laid out on their sick beds, was scuppered.

I was about to post the tweets at the bottom as very relevant when I noticed this scoop just tweeted by Patrick:

1590529910456.png

This may go some way to explaining the timing of some resignations by remainers.

1590529534700.png

1590529586915.png

1590529632615.png

YetAnotherRock

War Hero
A sample size of 384 people will give a 95% confidence (CI=1.96) for a random population of 60M. Things get tricky when less than 30.

For a 1% accuracy a sample of just over 9600 is needed.

I’m sad and use qualtrix a lot...Sample size

Latest Threads