The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

I completely agree with this. From his employers point of view, he’s supposed to be behind the story, not the star of it.

The Prime Minister has enough problems keeping the flock in line without having to worry about the paid help taking all the attention.

If Boris keeps him on now, I’d be wondering what has Dominic got that they want to keep hidden?!
Maybe, maybe not.... how much bad news is HMG dropping on the quiet while the press are wanking themselves into a strangulated hernia over this?

Truxx

LE
Nother one for @lastwalt : Where are the recriminations about Stephen Kinnock or Tahir Ali? I've tried to get left-leaning (or at least non-Government media). Both occurrences were about the same time as the Cummings debacle.

"The MP son of Neil Kinnock, the former Labour leader, has been publicly shamed by police for “non-essential” travel during the coronavirus lockdown after going to celebrate his father’s 78th birthday...
Stephen Kinnock, the MP for Aberavon in South Wales, posted a picture of himself sitting on a chair outside his parents’ London home, adhering to guidelines to stay two metres apart, as they marked the occasion with his wife, the former prime minister of Denmark, Helle Thorning-Schmidt...
But officers from South Wales police, 150 miles away, rounded on him for the decision to go to see his family."

or
Coronavirus: MP Tahir Ali apologises after funeral during lockdown
"A Labour MP has been blasted for "endangering lives" by attending a large funeral and ignoring coronavirus lockdown measures. [my parentheses - the police said that there were onlly 15 people at hte funeral, and that social distancing had been adhered to]
Tahir Ali was also criticised as "totally irresponsible" by West Midlands Police and Crime Commissioner, David Jamieson...
He said he was at the Sutton Coldfield gathering only as an "observer".
Mr Ali reportedly attended two services that day, but has said he will "not be attending any other similar gatherings"."

Stephen Kinnock went to say "happy birthday", and Tahir Ali went to a funeral as an "observer". In both cases, Members of Parliament have been criticised by the relevent police services for breaches. Durham Constabulary said (twice) that there was no further action needed in the Cummings case.
But you can bet your bottom dollar that whoever fronts up PMQs on Wednesday will have at very least some oblique references to these and I suspect others which will be a useful foil to anything that Starmer may wish to say on the matter.

It could be, we've used it, but only the parents could say. In my experience, going for a drive gets the child out of the house and creates visual stimulation without social interaction. This reduces overall anxiety which is the core challenge when managing autism.
It's very supportive of you to suggest another reason for the little jaunt to Barnard Castle. One, it seems, that had not occurred to Cummings himself. The purpose of loading his car up with his family, according to Cummings, was to conduct a drive-by eyesight test, a method favoured by the police, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the Institute of Advanced Motorists and the Institute of Ophthalmology.

I think I prefer your suggested explanation. Perhaps the adviser could use an adviser.

I presume you've also endured the expertise of friends and family who are generous with their advice and guidance on the basis of no experience whatsoever? :)
OVER AND OVER AND OVER again my friend!! Along with the "Are you sure she has Autism, she doesnt look like she does!" (confusing Autism with Downs Syndrome!).

Truxx

LE
Maybe, maybe not.... how much bad news is HMG dropping on the quiet while the press are wanking themselves into a strangulated hernia over this?
Not a case of dropping anything merely a case of not having to address it.

I asked myself over the weekend how much effort I would have expected to put into the Cummins defence/ rebuttal strategy.

Answer? Less than an hour.

Oh key workers now, I have a nephew who thinks that his task of driving 20 miles to work daily to put filling in cakes and pies in a factory makes him a Key Worker!!! Not in my understanding of the phrase!
So putting it in abstract terms he works in food production and distribution.. how is this not key?

Media and last walt narrative of events:-
Cummings flees downing street after finding out PM has covid. In his terror, he forgot to ask the media permission and failed to hand his bairn to social services, then broke the law by driving hundreds of miles to some remote locale and lived it up with his family in happy seclusion, like the masque of the red death, as the peasants died in droves outside the walls of his castle.

He then visited barnard castle for snacks and snaps, with his family and then went back to work two days later to continue his evil machinations, undermining the will of the people who matter. Oh and then he returned to durham on several occassions to sacrifice a few goats and prance around woodland glens.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
It depends on the nature of the autism and the individual, generalisations are dangerous. As they say, when you've met one autistic person, you've met one autistic person. The parents will know the child best and will have learned the hard way what works - the mental health professionals who are any good, and most of the ones I've come across are, recognise this and work with it.

I've certainly used a snap, short-term dramatic change in environment and lifestyle to break a dangerous cycle and it worked - I just needed to know when enough was enough.

Familiar surroundings and routines aren't worth very much if the required care is not available because the parents are sick.
We all have different experiences.

I would not be changing locations on the unlikely risk of both of us being simultaneously incapacitated enough to not continue care

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
It's very supportive of you to suggest another reason for the little jaunt to Barnard Castle, one, it seems, that had not occurred to Cummings himself. The purpose of loading his car up with his family. according to the Cummings, was to conduct a drive-by eyesight test, a method favoured by the police, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents, the Institute of Advanced Motorists and the Institute of Ophthalmology.

I think I prefer your suggested explanation. Perhaps the adviser could use an adviser.
Had your eyesight been up to it, you'd have noticed that I didn't suggest it, I was responding to @MuddyOldEngineer

Perhaps you too are in need of a trip to Barnard Castle.

@lastwalt
You there? Taps mic, is this on? Can you hear me? We are gagging to read your in depth demolition of Blackford. Or even an in depth defence of him.

Edit to add. Just off to walk the dogs. I'll look back in later for your devasting reply to my post.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
We all have different experiences.

I would not be changing locations on the unlikely risk of both of us being simultaneously incapacitated enough to not continue care
That's your choice, I can also understand why it's not unreasonable if others choose otherwise.

Had your eyesight been up to it, you'd have noticed that I didn't suggest it, I was responding to @MuddyOldEngineer

Perhaps you too are in need of a trip to Barnard Castle.
When he struggled yesterday he blamed a keyboard problem. Don't expect any kind of reasoned response, his preference is to flail and blame his keyboard after.

Truxx

LE
As a regular visitor to Barnard Castle I am still at a loss as to why anyone would make a big deal of going there? It isnt a tourist attraction (Bowes Museum is shut). The castle is interesting but other than that it is just a quiet little market town. Ideal in fact for a stroll around staying away from anyone and everyone.

Had I known that it was to eyesight what Lourdes is to other ailments I would have taken Mrs Truxx there a lot more.

My apologies, I read it as being in support of @MuddyOldEngineer's ridiculous suggested explanation. Can I assume that we both agree that it's arrant nonsense in this case?
It was a question - not a suggestion. For someone who relied on facts and evidence in a previous life, you really are struggling with the basics on this thread.

Not the way it works. I don't have to proof anything. I'm not the one under accusation. Cummings is the one who said who couldn't find anyone in London to look after his child, and that is the sole justification for his journey.
Wrong. That was not his only justification for ‘not London’.
There was also the family security aspect, as very clearly demonstrated outside his house in the past few days.

Latest Threads