The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Public Elections?
Since when did the public have the right to 'depose' a Con party leader?
The Tory party has changed. Keep up at the back.

Hi Northern_Biff_2,

Northern_Biff_1 said: "Meanwhile, on planet earth, Boris is still as popular now as he was at the 2019 election. according to numerous polls.
You f*****g melts."

So I pointed out, as you quoted above, that public popularity doesn't necessarily decide whether he stays as PM. You, Northern_Biff_2, are clearly already aware of this, but I was addressing someone with a very similar name, who I mistook to be you.

Here to help if there is anything else.
Best regards.

public popularity doesn't necessarily decide whether he stays as PM.
Indeed not.

Boris' short-term popularity (based on the public perception of his 'victory' over C-19) has already taken a slapping thanks to:
  • The report that pointed out the major up-fvcks in (and indeed prior to) the pandemic reaching UK;
  • The energy price crisis;
  • The shortage of fuel on forecourts and;
  • The chronic shortage of native UK resident HGV delivery drivers
The very public slagging of his Part Conference vision (esp. in light of the above) as "economic illiteracy" will not have helped his standing.

If he's half as smart as he needs to be to remain in post, he'll already be conscious of the ground moving beneath his feet.

Gotta wonder where he's gonna look to for allies: that very nice man the unfailingly loyal and trustworthy Mister Gove, perhaps?

Gotta wonder where he's gonna look to for allies: that very nice man the unfailingly loyal and trustworthy Mister Gove, perhaps?

Gove is very sensibly flying under the radar (except for the odd trip to the dance floor) and biding his time until his turn at the top job.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Gove is very sensibly flying under the radar (except for the odd trip to the dance floor) and biding his time until his turn at the top job.

I may be wrong, but I don't see Gove maximising his strengths (only those in govt know whether he's any good at anything) and minimising his weaknesses (his face) sufficiently to be able to present himself as a public figurehead.

They made a Gove type mistake with Theresa May too recently to make it again.

Truxx

LE
I may be wrong, but I don't see Gove maximising his strengths (only those in govt know whether he's any good at anything) and minimising his weaknesses (his face) sufficiently to be able to present himself as a public figurehead.

It's actually a 3 horse race IMHO.

Truss
Raab
Javid

Torn between like, funny, and excellent.

Don't be silly Gove looks perfect Prime Minister material

CMsXJlEWgAEq1kJ.png

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero

What makes Gove interesting is the description by those who don’t like him - he gets things done. Frames the agenda and makes it happen. I’d imagine a lot of politicians would like that description.

What makes Gove interesting is the description by those who don’t like him - he gets things done. Frames the agenda and makes it happen. I’d imagine a lot of politicians would like that description.

Sarastro

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For sure, he might be great, I don't disallow the possibility.

But I heard a lot of that about Theresa May, 'in private' (i.e. the Telegraph). Meanwhile, every copper and internal opinion I'd ever heard was not complimentary, and turned out to be spot on about her weaknesses.

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
For sure, he might be great, I don't disallow the possibility.

But I heard a lot of that about Theresa May, 'in private' (i.e. the Telegraph). Meanwhile, every copper and internal opinion I'd ever heard was not complimentary, and turned out to be spot on about her weaknesses.
She’s the MP for where my firm has a manufacturing site, and she’s been for a couple of photo ops - she knew her stuff, and remembered what she’d been told about us.

I quite like her based on what I’ve seen and read, she comes across as more principled than Boris Johnston, but she couldn’t frame the argument in a compelling way.

I quite like her based on what I’ve seen and read, she comes across as more principled than Boris Johnston, but she couldn’t frame the argument in a compelling way.
And contrary to her assurances otherwise, she found it problematic to detach herself from her remainer instincts.

I've been thinking about that this afternoon. I'm by no means encouraged.

As I read it, That Nice Man Mister Gove has learned a thing or two since I was first exposed to him (he was Min Of Ed, I was - and still am - working in Apprenticeships) back then - thanks to a Tony B-L empire creation scheme - apprenticeships were parked in Business Innovation And Skills.

That Nice Man Mister Gove had emphatically less-than-zero interest in anything outside his portfolio, so those seeking to improve their life-chances by the apprenticeship route were effectively swimming against the current. while That Nice Man Gove poured water on them by the tankerful because it wasn't his brief.

Between times, it seems he's learned to use his emollient good manners more effectively, and to manage stakeholders more effectively, earning a track record for delivery (I'm all in favour of that) . . . . but . . .

Along the way, I've worked with/ for/ near a number of exquisitely focussed, result-driven Delivery Managers (it's a species, trust me on this) and - again, trust me on this - none of them were in the least bit interested in the wider context into which they were delivering. They had a Deliverable to Deliver and it got Delivered . . . . .
In one instance I'm still pickiing up the pieces 5 years down the line.

I'm gonna bet that That Nice Man Mister Gove is of that ilk.

In which case he's no more suited to the role of PM than are/were the self-serving/ self-and-nation- deceiving/ would-be visionary/ economic illiterate that is Boris Johnson, nor the greedy/ self-serving/ self-and-nation- deceiving/ would-be visionary/ fantasist/ crusader Tony B-L

Mr_Relaxed

War Hero
I've been thinking about that this afternoon. I'm by no means encouraged.

As I read it, That Nice Man Mister Gove has learned a thing or two since I was first exposed to him (he was Min Of Ed, I was - and still am - working in Apprenticeships) back then - thanks to a Tony B-L empire creation scheme - apprenticeships were parked in Business Innovation And Skills.

That Nice Man Mister Gove had emphatically less-than-zero interest in anything outside his portfolio, so those seeking to improve their life-chances by the apprenticeship route were effectively swimming against the current. while That Nice Man Gove poured water on them by the tankerful because it wasn't his brief.

Between times, it seems he's learned to use his emollient good manners more effectively, and to manage stakeholders more effectively, earning a track record for delivery (I'm all in favour of that) . . . . but . . .

Along the way, I've worked with/ for/ near a number of exquisitely focussed, result-driven Delivery Managers (it's a species, trust me on this) and - again, trust me on this - none of them were in the least bit interested in the wider context into which they were delivering. They had a Deliverable to Deliver and it got Delivered . . . . .
In one instance I'm still pickiing up the pieces 5 years down the line.

I'm gonna bet that That Nice Man Mister Gove is of that ilk.

In which case he's no more suited to the role of PM than are/were the self-serving/ self-and-nation- deceiving/ would-be visionary/ economic illiterate that is Boris Johnson, nor the greedy/ self-serving/ self-and-nation- deceiving/ would-be visionary/ fantasist/ crusader Tony B-L
Oh, I don’t want him for PM! Far too disingenuous for me, but I would like to see a politician who can tell established interests to do one, and get their agenda over the line.

Whether it’s an agenda I agree with is moot - it just feels these days that if politics is the art of the possible, you need someone who can cut through.

Oh, I don’t want him for PM! Far too disingenuous for me, but I would like to see a politician who can tell established interests to do one, and get their agenda over the line.

Whether it’s an agenda I agree with is moot - it just feels these days that if politics is the art of the possible, you need someone who can cut through.
No programme of change - irrespective of its intent or goals - is ever going to make progress unless there's enough Wot's In It For Me (WIIFM) for each of them, to persuade all those those who need to be moved, to be moved in the desired direction, and in particular to persuade those who could fling a spanner in the works to keep that there monkey wrench in their back pocket.

Crack that conundrum, and you're in business.

Assuming the goal that you're aiming for, and the way(s) that your stakeholders have left open for you to follow to get there are well-chosen.

Latest Threads