The Dominic Cummings Appreciation Society.

If Mark Francois' best line of attack really is "do what I tell you to do or Big Bad Dom will visit the Ten Plagues of Westminster upon you!" then surely, the correct response is to laugh?
He is, I believe, quite important in defence. Good to know the gunmint is putting its sharpest blokes in important positions.

There's nothing edifying about this little vignette.

Last edited:

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
He is, I believe, quite important in defence. Good to know the gunmint is putting its sharpest blokes in important positions.

When was the last time any Government considered Defence "important"? At one point, didn't Gordon Brown have a reshuffle and have to be reminded that he'd forgotten to appoint a SoS Defence?

Outside the small and shrinking bubble of those who are, or were, involved in even peripheral roles in
the defence of the realm, a poster here pointed out the three golden rules:-
  1. There are no votes in Defence.
  2. Voters really don't care much about Defence.
  3. Hardly anyone cares about Defence.
Coronavirus. Funding for the Arts. Re-opening schools. Sacrificing more money on the altar of the NHS. Arguing over whether flights to Marbella for summer holidays are more important and less risky than re-opening theatres for a fringe production of "Aren't Those Tories All Murdering Bastards?". HS2. The Green New Deal. Compared to all of those, most voters wouldn't be able to pick Nick Carter (or Mark Francois) out of a lineup even if they stood to win a million pound jackpot by doing so...

You have seen his online presence...? Don't know who does it but it's a chuckle now and again

When was the last time any Government considered Defence "important"?
I didn't say he was important (period), or that defence was important. I said 'important in defence' - deliberately, even if big fish/little pond applies, he's operating somewheres toward the top of the food chain in a big-spending Dept of State (an environment not new to him, any more than are the mechanisms, procedures etiquette and protocols of parliamentary government) . . . .

. . . . . . and still he feels he has license to give voice to shoite like this?

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't say he was important (period), or that defence was important. I said 'important in defence' - deliberately, even if big fish/little pond applies, he's operating somewheres toward the top of the food chain in a big-spending Dept of State (an environment not new to him, any more than are the mechanisms, procedures etiquette and protocols of parliamentary government) . . . .

. . . . . . and still he feels he has license to give voice to shoite like this?
Again, is this what El Jefe, Cummings lo bastardo actually says and thinks?

Or is this an MP pointing and shouting "Do what I want or I'll tell Don Dominic all about you and then you'll be sorry!"

Sort of impressive if people believe Cummings actually is Lavrenti Beria to the PM's Iosef Dzjugashvili, but to my mind it's merely a poor reflection on Francois - can't he make a decent case without resorting to argument from authority and hiding behind Cummings?

Francois hasn't impressed me overmuch to date and this is, shall we say, not a net positive. If this is the best voice that the defence of the Realm enjoys in government, we are - in specific technical terms - absolutely fµcked.

is this an MP pointing and shouting "Do what I want or I'll tell Don Dominic all about you and then you'll be sorry!"
that he feels he has license so to do is worrying in itself, even if he is a jumped-up Essex barrer boy.

If this is the best voice that the defence of the Realm enjoys in government, we are - in specific technical terms - absolutely fµcked.
You got there in the end :thumleft:

jrwlynch

LE
Book Reviewer
that he feels he has license so to do is worrying in itself, even if he is a jumped-up Essex barrer boy.
True - but why does he feel the need to invoke the Dark Lord as top cover? Does the Dark Lord endorse or support these sentiments? Is the Eye of Barad-Dur settlling on Francois? Or does Cummings simply not register nonsense like this on his list of "Things I Need To Worry About"?

You got there in the end :thumleft:
My dear Stonker, who I do appreciate for some insights even as I find you unhelpful in other areas... I was there all along.

Francois hasn't impressed me overmuch to date and this is, shall we say, not a net positive.
I had a trawl through the London Gazette. He appears to have gained a TA Gp.B Commission (18th December 1985) in the last few months before the TA had to do TACC. Pass your District Assessment Board, congratulations, you are now a probationary 2Lt.

He then spent a couple of years with the UOTC, transferred to R ANGLIANS wef 1st Feb 1988, completes his probation and is promoted to Lt on 18th Sep 1988; but transfers to RARO Class II wef 21 Sep 1989.

His entire military experience appears to have been the UOTC as a student, followed by eighteen months in TA Group A (he could have been a great attender, done PCD, been the backbone of the Company location; and equally could have been an complete non-attender for his last six to eight months: we just don't know).

Which is all perfectly creditable, except when he starts losing it with journalists and claiming "I was in the Army, I wasn't trained to lose". At which point, everyone in the TA / AR just cringes because "Gareth"...

Last edited:
A lot of politicians annoy, irritate and/or infuriate me - from every party. Francois is the one I would really, really enjoy kicking the shit out of.

...If Mark Francois' best line of attack really is "do what I tell you to do or Big Bad Dom will visit the Ten Plagues of Westminster upon you!" then surely, the correct response is to laugh?
Or clutch your hankie, post it on twatfacegram and froth about it so all your little friends can weep along with you.

I had a trawl through the London Gazette. He appears to have gained a TA Gp.B Commission (18th December 1985) in the last few months before the TA had to do TACC. Pass your District Assessment Board, congratulations, you are now a probationary 2Lt.

He then spent a couple of years with the UOTC, transferred to R ANGLIANS wef 1st Feb 1988, completes his probation and is promoted to Lt on 18th Sep 1988; but transfers to RARO Class II wef 21 Sep 1989.

His entire military experience appears to have been the UOTC as a student, followed by eighteen months in TA Group A (he could have been a great attender, done PCD, been the backbone of the Company location; and equally could have been an complete non-attender for his last six to eight months: we just don't know).

Which is all perfectly creditable, except when he starts losing it with journalists and claiming "I was in the Army, I wasn't trained to lose". At which point, everyone in the TA / AR just cringes because "Gareth"...
It would appear that AEW Nimrod, therefore, wasn't the only waste of MOD cash in the 1980s.

Of wider concern is it's obvious that Cummings appears to have power over policy that few previous advisers have had. Does he actually have any record of delivering Government services? He's doubtless a highly effective campaign strategist delivering both Brexit and the last Tory victory (albeit the latter against little credible opposition). His track record on delivering actual policy is more patchy. The UK's performed lamentably on Covid and there seems to be little tangible progress on any of our post Brexit negotiations (with the EU or others).

I see huge risk to defence in giving so much power to a man with no proven experience or knowledge, whilst allowing him to avoid the usual systems of scrutiny and accountability.

I see huge risk to defence in giving so much power to a man with no proven experience or knowledge, whilst allowing him to avoid the usual systems of scrutiny and accountability.
Do you know what an adviser does? They give advice. Whether a minister takes the advice is up to the minister who pushes out the policy and is accountable for it. Advisers advise and are responsible for nothing, ministers are responsible for policy.

Ah, bless.
Its a bit tedious reading how much 'power' DC is supposed to have by people who are clearly a bit hard of thinking. Better just to put DC Ggggrrrrr! Same as Boris Ggggrrrr!!

Do you know what an adviser does? They give advice. Whether a minister takes the advice is up to the minister who pushes out the policy and is accountable for it. Advisers advise and are responsible for nothing, ministers are responsible for policy.
Of course, technically, you're correct. And, it may be, that in practical terms is how Cumming's role is working in practice.

There's many, who should be much better informed than either of us, who think he has more clout than a mere advisor. Certainly Francois' little outburst suggests Cumming's would be interacting with the MOD in a capacity exceeding that of an advisor.

What I want to know is where does he find the time to be kicking in the backk doors of almost every area of government policy. It was planning last weeek, defence this week. Where do we ethink he's turning his beady eye next week? Does he not sleep?

Latest Threads