The Dogs of War get recognition

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by BanjoBill, Apr 25, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I like doggies and most other animals as much as the next man but all this pish about Animal "bravery" is feckin' ridiculous IMHO. An animal can't exhibit bravery because bravery requires an understanding and acceptance of substantial risk to one's own life, which one choose's to ignore in order to achieve an aim. If you can find a dog or any other animal that can do that, as opposed to simply doing what it has been trained and conditioned to do, then it should be hosting it's own TV show, not sniffing for explosives in the 'stan or whatever!
    These animals are not being brave and any accolades should go the the people who trained them so well.

Infantile, sentimental boll*cks. What next, "Votes for Voles" as the man said?
  2. Annnnd breathe!....
  3. Animals CAN show bravery. A Royal Signals (Actually RE Signal Branch at the time) Carrier Pigeon delivered a message despite being wounded during WW1, as an animal acting on instincts it would surely just have sat down and died. But through, as you say, conditioning, he carried his message. Many of our heroic human acts are similar, infantry storming machine gun nests could be attributed to 'conditioning' during exercises could they not?

Likewise, what about this particular incident?

Khans instinct should have been to run, should it not?

dog saved child snake austrailia - Google Search

Plenty of other stories of dogs who may well have acted knowing they could be hurt/killed but protected someone they love. You could say it is conditioning, protecting the pack but then is that not what triggers some Human heroism?

We celebrate the act, not the person/animal that acted.
  4. Animals experience fear. They may not be able to intellectualise the consequences of their every action, but there is solid evidence that they are able to overcome fear and perform acts of bravery. Some may be braver than others, some would become so stressed that they would be unsuitable for the jobs expected of them in the Army. I haven't any first hand experience of Animals in the Armed Forces, but I expect there is a selection process to weed out the jittery, nervous types. As far as the article mentioned is concerned, seems to me that there is a much bigger story running in the background which should also be appreciated.