• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

The Dogs Items - Curryhouses

elovabloke

ADC
cernunnos said:
Mr_Fingerz said:
Where abouts in Blighty?

London then Manchester followed by Jockinese land.
Get yourself down the Curry mile in Manchester, no directions I'm afraid as we fell in the Taxi p*ssed.

Row on row of curry houses all giving great deals just top get you in to their establishment.

the curry mile restaurants are always pretty average..... Sangam (first one you come to when coming from teh city centre) is alright.

elovabloke

ADC
bensonby said:
the curry mile restaurants are always pretty average.....
As are those that use them due to the amount of drink that they have consumed. :oops:

I used to frequent Rusholm a couple of years ago and found that there is a real difference in the quality of the places. Some are very good whilst others would not survive anywhere else and only exist on visitors to the city and I completely agree with WalterWarry in that it is a tourist trap.

It is still worth a visit but only if you look at a few reviews before you go otherwise it is too easy to wander into one with cr@p service and pretty tasteless curries. I went in one place that made Uncle Bens stir in stuff taste like authentic cuisine.

ah, I normally go before drinking... I now know what I've been doing wrong....

elovabloke

ADC
bensonby said:
ah, I normally go before drinking... I now know what I've been doing wrong....
:? :? :? :? I did not know they let you in sober :roll:

re. Rusholme, the Darbar was always my fave...

I used to live in Rusholme (Stanley Avenue) and went to the Darbar so often that I used to get 25% off!
Haven't been there for a few years, but will be there tomorrow afternoon...

Ooh, do I sense an arrse curry crawl coming on?

A short train ride from Central London is the Moghul Brasserie on Beckenham High Street. Superb scoff & very easy on the wallet too. If a ring-burner is your desire, I'm sure you'll find it on their menu!
Reservations desirable, especially Fri/Sat nights. Haven't got the number to hand right now, but Google is your friend.

I've been to several in the vicinity of Regents Park - Shah Tandoori is excellent. If you want hot you'll get hot. Don't know the exact street name but if you're on Albany St going south, turn left up Longford and keep going till you cross Hampstead Rd, and it's off to the right about 40yds. Warren St tube is a couple of hundred yards south.

There's also a decent ghurka place slightly further afield on Evershot St just across from Euston - the name is 'Great Nepal' I think.

chutneys near euston is good - if you are into vegeterian things...

Old_Reprobate said:
I've been to several in the vicinity of Regents Park - Shah Tandoori is excellent. If you want hot you'll get hot. Don't know the exact street name but if you're on Albany St going south, turn left up Longford and keep going till you cross Hampstead Rd, and it's off to the right about 40yds. Warren St tube is a couple of hundred yards south.

There's also a decent ghurka place slightly further afield on Evershot St just across from Euston - the name is 'Great Nepal' I think.
God, forgot about this place! Haven't been for years but it used to be brilliant. Been making doing with poxy places off Warren Street and the touristy places in Soho when I'm in London... Most of London's really good flock paper and vindaloo curry houses have gone. (Having turned into a Brazilian steak place my favourite is now another sushi bar. Tells you all you need to know.)

London generally, I'd say Brick Lane might be worth a punt, but not been there for a few years myself.
Another couple that are out in the sticks a bit, but pretty good are: Curry Royal in Wimbledon (literally just round the corner to the station, on Hartfield Road... good boozer nearby, the prince of wales... run by a mate of mine!)

Or "The Mahal" in Morden at the end of the northern line. Under a tenner for as many dishes off the buffet menu as you like... and unlike most indian/chinese buffets, it's made fresh to order.