The Dogs Items - Curryhouses

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by cernunnos, Nov 3, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. In the new year I'm going back to blighty for a short break, sadly with "she who must be dismayed".

Since the Germans think SPAM is a bit fu'cking spicy, it has been a while since I last had a good Ruby Murray. I would appreciate any suggestions / recommendations as to where and with what, I can get my ring of fire ignited? (a night with a Morrocan trawler crew is not what I'm looking for, just really good curry houses).
  2. Balls to this where is an update on the Lezzers Thread

Edited to add

Just found an update
  3. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Where abouts in Blighty?
  4. Where about's in the UK are you going?

I'd can't recommend the "Punjabi" in Hounslow highly enough. It's a BYOB, there's an offy next door, it's as cheap as chips, and the best curry house I've been in for a few years.
  5. I went to Tamarind, a Michelin starred curry house in Mayfair a couple of weeks ago. Tasteless and only £250 for two - give that one a miss mate !
  6. Read it and weep!

7. London then Manchester followed by Jockinese land.
  8. Indian Cavalry Club (1/4 mile past Princes St on the left if heading to Rugby Mecca)or Lancers in Stockbridge if you are in the Capital of Jockland.
  9. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Mancland - Practically anywhere in Rusholme.
  10. terroratthepicnic

terroratthepicnic LE Reviewer Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Runners

If your in London, take a walk down Brick Lane. There you will find more than enough Curry Houses. Although I would suggest going into what ever one has the most people in it, as a few of them down there can be a bit lacking in the hygiene department.
  11. Rusholme, Manchester's "Curry Mile" is best avoided. Spoilt by its own successs and now just for tourists.

Some good places in the City Centre though - Akhbars and EastzEast I would recommend.
  12. Try the Anglo Asian on Church Street, Stoke Newington. A quality, authentic ring-burner, not a wallet-burner like Tamarind or The Cinnamon Club.
  13. msr

msr LE

14. They're also mostly crap - see other comments on Rusholme. There was a time when they were heavily used by City office workers for lunch and were reasonable but now it appears to be a "destination" for small-town Australian backpackers.

There's a bit of a dearth of decent Indians in central London but plenty to be found spread around Whitechapel (just not on Brick Lane itself), Tooting, Southall, East Ham etc - wherever there be Indians / Pakistanis, unsurprisingly.

If you're after somewhere more central then there are some places near Euston although mostly not of the lager 'n' vindaloo variety.