The DN new car thread

I currently have a 12 reg C class which is up over 120,000 and starting to need TLC
My budget is £25k
I need something that will do:
  1. 20,000 miles annually
  2. Be comfortable on 250 mile trips
  3. 50+ mpg
  4. Cruise at 70mph with 4 people plus luggage
  5. Isn't the size of a small county
  6. Needs to fit my model railway in the back (minimum 4' load bed length)
  7. Definitely isn't French
What I've looked at:
  • New shape C class [too big, my oppo has had various troubles with his, crap local dealers]
  • E class - see 5 above
  • A class - too small
  • Audi A4 - dealers even worse than the VW dealers, not an Audi fan
  • Golf estate - a bit boring, new version out later this year
  • 3 series - too low to the ground
  • 5 series - too big
That sort of leaves me with VW T-Roc [stupid name] / Seat Ateca / Skoda k-something or other [but not a Q2]
Or the next ones up.

I'm looking for something 6-12 months old with low mileage that won't break down and won't break the bank.

Thus far I am underwhelmed with the choice.

Ideas please, preferably sensible.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Just been going through a very similar thing myself.

E Class threw a wobbly so needed to find a replacement sharpish. Apart from the model railway thing my requirements are pretty much identical to yours. Didn’t want a crossover / 4x4 as we’ve already got a Merc GLC and the old Landy.

Looked at all the usual suspects and like you was largely underwhelmed by what was on offer.

Decided on an A Class in the end as it seemed to be the nicest hatchback out there.

Got fucked about on the deal and the A Class fell through. Ended up going for a Golf GTD instead.

Time will tell if it’s any good.

Having said that, if the Skoda K thingymabob is even half as good as the Yeti it replaces, then it will be great. I think the Seat is basically the same car. I bloody loved my Yeti and I miss it everyday.

Haven't got / don't need a 4x4, much as I'd like an old Landy.

I used to have a Mk2 GTD. One of the few cars I really do miss.

There is a new Golf due out in October but it will likely be out of my price bracket for 12 months or so. I hate buying brand new cars because of the 1st 12 months depreciation.

Planning to have a wander round a car supermarket at the weekend so might have some more ideas then.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Last edited:

Truxx

LE
Your C class will do half a million miles without breaking into a sweat. Take the £25k and buy something that is still going to be worth £25k in 5 years time.

ETA that's about as sensible as I do...

We are looking at the Skoda Karoq in the next few days when a demonstrator becomes available it’s to replace a Roomster,seat is the same vag platform just badge and trim change . If dogs and kit fit and suitable for adaptation for me it may be suitable, will report when assessed.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Your C class will do half a million miles without breaking into a sweat. Take the £25k and buy something that is still going to be worth £25k in 5 years time.

My E Class has just died at 51,000 miles.

Truxx

LE
My E Class has just died at 51,000 miles.
True. But we have three older c classes in the family and they are fantastic machines. My 430 will be doing the better part of 700 miles tomorrow and there are only a handful of motors on the planet that I would be as happy being in. My son bought a C class estate a t 175000 miles and has put another 70K on it and it still drives like new. We love them because they are a doddle to look after too, relatively few electronic gizmos and decently screwed together.

I wish that were true.
Google OM651 and timing chain.
Typically start to fail at the 100,000 mile mark. Made worse by stop-start albeit that my car spends most of the time on A road and motorway.

Currently having the occasional rattle on start-up but not all the time which is a sure sign that the timing chain is on the way out.

OM651 engine has the chain at the back and hence dealer price £1,200 or independent price £600-£700. In either case 6 - 7 hours garage time and not a DIY job.

@Gout Man Volvo V40 is too small.
Haven't managed toget a look at a V60 yet and not looking for an XC at all.

I gets a bit strange when I’m looking around for my next free car. To test it I recline the front seat all the way back, fold the rear seat behind the passenger seat flat, open the boot, climb in, pull wheelchair in behind me, bum shuffle through gap in rear seats and climb over drivers seat. Close boot electronically, adjust front seat.

It gets some rather strange looks. I got an even stranger look when I tried this in the new SEAT SUV. Unbeknownst to me, it has a boot tray with a cubby hole underneath, as I transferred the tray fucked off and I’m face down in the cubby hole with my stumps stuck up in the air. The salesman panics, reaches forward to grab me and starts to pull my shorts and Keks off (nothing to see here folks), the missus pushes him out the way, pulls my keks up and tells me stop ******* about.

I’ll not be bothering with that SEAT.

Wooden Wonder

War Hero
I’m 18 months into a Skoda Karoq three-year PCP. 1.5 petrol SE. It’s very good - reliable (although we are low mileage drivers - 11k so far) and practical, loaded with toys. Only quibbles are that the seats are rather firm and the voice for the satnav is ... idiosyncratic to say the least.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I gets a bit strange when I’m looking around for my next free car. To test it I recline the front seat all the way back, fold the rear seat behind the passenger seat flat, open the boot, climb in, pull wheelchair in behind me, bum shuffle through gap in rear seats and climb over drivers seat. Close boot electronically, adjust front seat.

It gets some rather strange looks. I got an even stranger look when I tried this in the new SEAT SUV. Unbeknownst to me, it has a boot tray with a cubby hole underneath, as I transferred the tray fucked off and I’m face down in the cubby hole with my stumps stuck up in the air. The salesman panics, reaches forward to grab me and starts to pull my shorts and Keks off (nothing to see here folks), the missus pushes him out the way, pulls my keks up and tells me stop ******* about.

Can you get that on video next time:???:

Can you come with me to help choose?

I currently have a 12 reg C class which is up over 120,000 and starting to need TLC
My budget is £25k
I need something that will do:
  1. 20,000 miles annually
  2. Be comfortable on 250 mile trips
  3. 50+ mpg
  4. Cruise at 70mph with 4 people plus luggage
  5. Isn't the size of a small county
  6. Needs to fit my model railway in the back (minimum 4' load bed length)
  7. Definitely isn't French
What I've looked at:
  • New shape C class [too big, my oppo has had various troubles with his, crap local dealers]
  • E class - see 5 above
  • A class - too small
  • Audi A4 - dealers even worse than the VW dealers, not an Audi fan
  • Golf estate - a bit boring, new version out later this year
  • 3 series - too low to the ground
  • 5 series - too big
That sort of leaves me with VW T-Roc [stupid name] / Seat Ateca / Skoda k-something or other [but not a Q2]
Or the next ones up.

I'm looking for something 6-12 months old with low mileage that won't break down and won't break the bank.

Thus far I am underwhelmed with the choice.

Ideas please, preferably sensible.
Merc W123 (or W124 if you like square) 280 or 300 TE. Have the engine and transmission rebuilt and seats reupholstered. Have them change the suspension bushings while they're at it. I'd expect a lot of change from £25K.

Sorted.

Truxx

LE
I wish that were true.
Google OM651 and timing chain.
Typically start to fail at the 100,000 mile mark. Made worse by stop-start albeit that my car spends most of the time on A road and motorway.

Currently having the occasional rattle on start-up but not all the time which is a sure sign that the timing chain is on the way out.

OM651 engine has the chain at the back and hence dealer price £1,200 or independent price £600-£700. In either case 6 - 7 hours garage time and not a DIY job.
£700 is quite a lot less than £25k. Actually it is pretty much the price of a main dealer service and a couple of tyres.

philc

LE
Subaru Outback might tick your boxes, love my Forrester.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
vinniethemanxcat Travel 3
Ravers Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs 268
Dark_Nit The NAAFI Bar 187

Latest Threads