The DIY Guide for Full Size Medal Mounting

Is there any way I can mount a bar (professionally looking) to an LS&GC without having to get the lot re-mounted, they are currently mounted by messdress.com and I don't want to pay for the whole lot for the sake of a bar on the last one :)

postiebear

Old-Salt
Depending on how they mounted it. Is it overlapped or mounted side by side?

If side by side cut the thread holding down the suspender unpick the tape at the back remove medal, slide on bar replace medal, stick down ribbon and then stitch down the suspender,
If they still do it the same way you may need to redo all the stitching as they used to use 1 piece of thread to stitch down all medals and mounting bar, but this used to cause loss of medals if the thread snapped

If not sure post a pick and I'll see if I can do it for you and get you a price.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Depending on how they mounted it. Is it overlapped or mounted side by side?

If side by side cut the thread holding down the suspender unpick the tape at the back remove medal, slide on bar replace medal, stick down ribbon and then stitch down the suspender,
If they still do it the same way you may need to redo all the stitching as they used to use 1 piece of thread to stitch down all medals and mounting bar, but this used to cause loss of medals if the thread snapped

If not sure post a pick and I'll see if I can do it for you and get you a price.

They are overlapped, not wanting to be a total pikey, but I need them for November and I get a second bar in April, I don't want to pay for full mounting twice in 7 months :)

IMG_2367.JPG

postiebear

Old-Salt
Mounted by mess dress. If you cut one thread it will undo the whole lot. On a plus you can add the bar then restitch each medal individually and when you get your new bar repeat the process

postiebear

Old-Salt
You will also need to stitch down the bar as it was joined as they only use 1 piece of thread

I can do them for you for a £15 including postage.

I’ve been researching how to court mount medals and this is the best tutorial I have found so thank you but when I try to follow the link to the miniatures tutorial to see how to measure & cover the buckram, the link won’t work. Is there another way to get to this page?

Also a question regarding the rules regarding measurements for medal mounting, would Australian medals follow the same rules as the British ones?
I will be mounting a WW1 duo which were British Navy and 4 from WW2 which were Australian Army.

The medals belonged to my great grandfather and grandfather respectively and I want to get them mounted so that my son (who’s in the army cadets) can wear them for ANZAC day next year and I want to make sure I get it right!

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I’ve been researching how to court mount medals and this is the best tutorial I have found so thank you but when I try to follow the link to the miniatures tutorial to see how to measure & cover the buckram, the link won’t work. Is there another way to get to this page?

Also a question regarding the rules regarding measurements for medal mounting, would Australian medals follow the same rules as the British ones?
I will be mounting a WW1 duo which were British Navy and 4 from WW2 which were Australian Army.

The medals belonged to my great grandfather and grandfather respectively and I want to get them mounted so that my son (who’s in the army cadets) can wear them for ANZAC day next year and I want to make sure I get it right!

It should be working now.

Failing that, click here:

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

Great War medals would not have been court mounted at the time. It’s a relatively new fashion.

Army cadets shouldn’t wear anyone else’s medals. I know it has become a bit of a thing in the last few years and some units have ignored the rules and allowed it. If you want to do the right thing I think you should encourage him not to wear them in uniform despite what anyone else is doing.

Army cadets shouldn’t wear anyone else’s medals. I know it has become a bit of a thing in the last few years and some units have ignored the rules and allowed it. If you want to do the right thing I think you should encourage him not to wear them in uniform despite what anyone else is doing.

That’s interesting, here in Australia it’s done a lot (not just by cadets) and it was encouraged by the unit officers. I’ve been told that the protocol is that if they’re yours you wear them on the left side and if they’re someone else’s you wear them on the right side. As long as you wear them on the correct side then it’s fine.

That’s interesting, here in Australia it’s done a lot (not just by cadets) and it was encouraged by the unit officers. I’ve been told that the protocol is that if they’re yours you wear them on the left side and if they’re someone else’s you wear them on the right side. As long as you wear them on the correct side then it’s fine.
As I understand it, that's the correct UK protocol for descendants, but I don't know if it's applicable to those wearing military uniforms (for the avoidance of doubt, I hope it's obvious that I'm not referring to Walts here).

D

Deleted 60082

Great War medals would not have been court mounted at the time. It’s a relatively new fashion.

I agree, even if the are worn in the right breast, I think it's inappropriate. It's a trend that started in Australia and at the Gallipoli commemorations in Turkey last year there where SP wearing their own rack and then an ancestor's set balance it. Very North Korean. Very my Grandad was more of a hero than your granddad.

I'm going to try and self mount my 9th medal (OSM Syria). I'm no longer serving and don't want to invest vast sums of money - plus I'm a dab hand at DIY and fixing things...I also have a sailor's palm (no sniggering) which will be ideal for pushing the needles through.

D

Deleted 60082

As I understand it, that's the correct UK protocol for descendants, but I don't know if it's applicable to those wearing military uniforms (for the avoidance of doubt, I hope it's obvious that I'm not referring to Walts here).
Not to be worn in the UK in uniform...yet

I notice that you show a shite mounting of 2 medals with clasps, why not show how it should be done or is there no decent way to do it? I only ask because I have come up against that problem. Have looked at lots of sites showing court mounting but not found one yet that addresses this problem

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I notice that you show a shite mounting of 2 medals with clasps, why not show how it should be done or is there no decent way to do it? I only ask because I have come up against that problem. Have looked at lots of sites showing court mounting but not found one yet that addresses this problem
There isn’t really a tidy way of doing it. The right one has to overlap the left one.

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
How should we do it?

Erm...

But overlapped or side-by-side - what I do is put a couple of 'invisible stitches' (nylon thread) through the ribbon and board directly above the clasp on the far right edge of the overlapping ribbon. As you tighten it up, this brings the ribbon more flush with the buckram and looks that little bit neater.

mac9091

Swinger
Bumping what is a surprisingly old thread and don't understand why it's not got more posts.

Excellent guide and very easy to follow, so thank you very much to the appropriately named OP.

My question: At what point is it ok to start overlapping?

Reasoning: I noted the "should not go past the seam of the left arm", being a skinny bod I'm on 4 and that's past my seam. Do I mount them overlapped now???

Latest Threads