The DIY Guide for Full Size Medal Mounting

thats the kiddi, is that only for one medal or can that be done with more...? did you do that yourself if so could you do something like DC did...?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Mr Blobmeister - Just looking back through this thread...

What's going on with the LS&GC at the end there? Never seen one quite like that before. Anyone shed any light on this?

Attachments

• Medals.jpg
    Medals.jpg
    18.1 KB · Views: 1,357
Z

Zarathustra

What's going on with the LS&GC at the end there? Never seen one quite like that before. Anyone shed any light on this?

RAF?

Sent from the thunder box on ARRSE app

It's the RAF LS&GC. Blue covered up due to overlapping.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByARRSE1342005715.136136.jpg
    ImageUploadedByARRSE1342005715.136136.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 1,000

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Ah I see. In that case, please forgive my lack of knowledge. I am a little surprised however, given that I've served along side the RAF for many years previous - although in my defence it was rare enough seeing them in uniform - let alone any kind of dress uniform.

Z

Zarathustra

As I'm bored on rear party I've decided to mount my own replica set for use on the regimental remembrance day etc. Got all the ribbons, buckram and brooch from the tailor shop free, which was nice.

I just disassembled my replicas that were purchased from a well know medal mounting company and aside from the stitches holding the medals and brooch on the entire thing was held together with double sided tape.

As I'm bored on rear party I've decided to mount my own replica set for use on the regimental remembrance day etc. Got all the ribbons, buckram and brooch from the tailor shop free, which was nice.

I just disassembled my replicas that were purchased from a well know medal mounting company and aside from the stitches holding the medals and brooch on the entire thing was held together with double sided tape.

I bought a replacement once (Only on 2 gongs now so mine are easy) as the bar snapped off (Bloody NATO) and it was double sided tape and lashings of glue! The buckram was much thicker as well. Plus I didn't like the fact that they just wrapped the ribbon right around the backings. I like my red backing and wouldn't blame other units if they wanted the nice black backing on theirs.

Z

Zarathustra

I bought a replacement once (Only on 2 gongs now so mine are easy) as the bar snapped off (Bloody NATO) and it was double sided tape and lashings of glue! The buckram was much thicker as well. Plus I didn't like the fact that they just wrapped the ribbon right around the backings. I like my red backing and wouldn't blame other units if they wanted the nice black backing on theirs.

That's what mine were like, just three strips of tape holding the ribbons to the buckram.

That's what mine were like, just three strips of tape holding the ribbons to the buckram.

They might use tape over glue as I've heard that glue can turn the white parts of the ribbon yellow over time. There's something quite theraputic about mounting your own medals, plus every couple of years you can change the ribbons to put nice clean ones on for almost free! (I buy ribbon by the meter off fleabay).
I do use tape as well, but only a tiny amount to hold the ribbon before I hand stitch it - I may as well take my time when they are my own!

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Sounds like a lot of people have been ordering mounted medals from MessDress.com!

Great for cheap materials / replacement clasps / numerals etc.

Terrible for any kind of tailoring work (IMO).

They get about 200 orders a day during run-up to Remembrance and the large scale issue of medals such as QGJ / QDJ. So double sided tape and brooch tacked on with fishing line is about the best you're gonna get from the Polish workforce down in Bournemouth!

Z

Zarathustra

Sounds like a lot of people have been ordering mounted medals from MessDress.com!

Great for cheap materials / replacement clasps / numerals etc.

Terrible for any kind of tailoring work (IMO).

They get about 200 orders a day during run-up to Remembrance and the large scale issue of medals such as QGJ / QDJ. So double sided tape and brooch tacked on with fishing line is about the best you're gonna get from the Polish workforce down in Bournemouth!

Mine were bigburymint.

The only thing I have to do once I've mounted them is take them to the tailor shop, as they don't recon I'll be able to do them.

Come across this site whilst searching for a DIY court mounting guide on google.

Excellent instruction (easy to follow) and they look just as good if not better then most. Thanks,

What is the best way with campaign name plates butting up against each other? Northern Ireland and Afghanistan when overlapping for example, the former always turns awkwardly. Thoughts anyone?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Keener and Greener said:
What is the best way with campaign name plates butting up against each other? Northern Ireland and Afghanistan when overlapping for example, the former always turns awkwardly. Thoughts anyone?

I know exactly what you mean - below is an example of how not to do it.

The worst set I did contained a GSM, Iraq Medal and OSM(A) side-by-side ...all with clasps! Where the medals are 6 or more and overlap, it tends to be less noticeable, unless you view it from an angle because the ribbon overlaying is still straight (perpendicular) but comes away from the buckram board more due to the neighbouring clasp underneath it.

But overlapped or side-by-side - what I do is put a couple of 'invisible stitches' (nylon thread) through the ribbon andboard directly above the clasp on the far right edge of the overlapping ribbon. As you tighten it up, this brings the ribbon more flush with the buckram and looks that little bit neater.

I'm in the middle of doing a six-set side-by-side at the moment which has the GSM & OSM(A) together. I'll post pictures once done to show you what I mean.

Thank you so much for this tutorial...it was the only one I could find on Google, so I was really pleased it is so clear!

I'm a seamstress and I've been approached by a Royal Marine to mount his OSM...I got all fired up now I know how to do it, but he then tells me he wants it swing mounted! Back to the drawing board! =-( However, he needs the ribbon bar putting on his number two's too, so all is not lost! :) Do you have instructions for swing mounting by any chance? :thanks:

My nephew has just asked me to court mount his Northern Ireland medal, so I didn't waste my research time after all. Plus, I live fairly close to Weeton Barracks, so I'm sure I'll get asked for it again.

I do have two questions though, and I can't seem to get an answer from anywhere. Firstly, the Regs go on about 'beckets', which I have figured out are thread loops for the brooch bar, but are they just several little loops of thread or should they be bound together to make it easier to thread the bar through and less likely to come apart? Secondly, in the box with the OSM, there are TWO rosettes. He has a clasp, so I'm assuming one will be for the ribbon on his number two's. Can anyone tell me if the other is for a ribbon on a set of number ones, or is there another reason for there being two? (Or should I start a new thread?)

Cheers!

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
Madwilf - first of all, my advice for swing mounting is to take it to the unit tailor and it won't cost a penny. As this thread is about court mounting I don't want to confuse anyone looking in, because like most things there's more than one way to skin a cat. With swing mounting the process is fairly straightforward but because of the variation in ribbon width and the standard size of brooch bars, you will generally end up doing it different ways. Overlapping introduces yet more variations still...

That said, if you're miles away from a mil tailor and you're really stuck, send me a PM and I'll help you out.

OSM rosettes. You should have one in your box to accompany the clasp. Because they are 'waffer thin' its possible two slipped in during the packing process and it belongs on the ribbon that is stitched onto the service dress.

Becketts (loops) are created using a thick thread around a dolly and a thinner thread wound around the protruding section in a series of half-hitches. For a single medal you will have two, sewn into the service dress to align with the extremities of the brooch pin, so that when hung, the medal will lie centrally over the left breast pocket (if it has one). Be aware that due to the off-centred nature of brooch pins, your Becketts may not be central on your uniform. Like the swing mounted medals however, it is also done at public expense so get it into the tailors. Ribbons, Becketts and swing mounted medals are a very time consuming process. Knowing all of these services are free really puzzles me when the guys ask me to do this service for them instead.

PS - a dolly will be something you put in place while you bind and tie off the thicker thread around it. It should typically be ever-so-slightly thicker than your brooch pin. I find the ink section of a Bic Biro works rather well for this. Mark out where you want your loops using french chalk, put the biro insert in place, then from the rear of the uniform, put your needle and thread through, loop, and tie off at the back. Then you can do the same with the thin green cotton, but instead of going back through, just half-hitch your way around the existing loop until you get to the bottom of it, again tying off at the back. Once done, you'll have a nice sturdy loop with a neat platted look to it.

Can I add that if you have your medals swing mounted, considerable damage is done to the medals over time due to them knocking together. This has two impacts:

1. It leaves unsightly pits on the surfaces of all the medal on both sides and edges.

2. It devalues the medals considerably (if you come to decide to sell them to fuel a prostitute/drinking habit).

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

Latest Threads