The DIY Guide for Full Size Medal Mounting

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
And remember - any rosettes or bars (such as ALTHEA) will need to be stitched into the ribbon *before* you stitch the top of the ribbon into place!

Brassneck

Old-Salt
had a go after reading through the guide

Attachments

• 2012-05-20 10.59.39 (Copy).jpg
    2012-05-20 10.59.39 (Copy).jpg
    105.8 KB · Views: 1,617

AFA06

LE
Good guide, not sure if I am brave enough to try it myself though. I read that no more than 2/3 of a ribbon should be covered on overlap but I do have a question. Is there a set width? I ask because I have 8 now and they overlap an awful lot, when my 9th is placed on this month they will overlap quite a lot and be a real pain to clean. So can I ask the medal mounter to make my medals wider or is this wrong?

Good guide, not sure if I am brave enough to try it myself though. I read that no more than 2/3 of a ribbon should be covered on overlap but I do have a question. Is there a set width? I ask because I have 8 now and they overlap an awful lot, when my 9th is placed on this month they will overlap quite a lot and be a real pain to clean. So can I ask the medal mounter to make my medals wider or is this wrong?

It should stay on a '6 bar' brooch until up to and including 2/3rds of the ribbon are covered. I have just mounted a mates, he has nine and its on a six bar.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByARRSE1337536017.856690.jpg
    ImageUploadedByARRSE1337536017.856690.jpg
    30.7 KB · Views: 1,578

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
First of all - Blobmeister / Brassneck - nice going :)

AFA06 - Like the Blobmeister says, you should be ok with 9 medals on a 6-bar - the regulation you're referring to is covered in Post #8 quoted "At no time should more than two-thirds of any ribbon be covered by another; the overlap of each ribbon should be equal."

Like with most regulations, it is open to interpretation to a degree - in that should the medals no longer be able to expose at least 1/3 of the ribbon, this should then extend beyond the width of a 6-bar (19.4cm) in order to maintain the exposure of the ribbon. If you look at HRH Prince Phillip's rack, you will see that with all his commonwealth medals on top of the 3 Jubleys he has now extended way beyond the 19.4cm and yet you can still see 1/3 of each ribbon. But it cannot go any further than the in-seam of the left arm, so the rack simply extends over the towards the centre of the chest. I would suggest seeing as HRH wears them this way, it is correct - and if need be, the tailor can add the extra loops over the lapel(s) that support the brooch.

Cleaning medals that have been overlapped I covered in Post #19 - it's a bit of a pain but as they only tend to be worn once a year, it's worth the extra effort. My advice would be to buy one of them JML vacuum bag sealers, and once you're done with them for another year, stick them in the bag and suck all the air out with the gizmo; seal and leave in your drawer. This will prevent the oxidisation of the metals (or slow it down at the very least).

Hope this helps.

DC

Brassneck

Old-Salt
well thats the first set of overlapped medals done , posted them on my FB page and it looks as tho things are gonna get very busy cheers for your exellent guide DC

Attachments

• 2012-05-22 12.10.47 (Copy).jpg
    2012-05-22 12.10.47 (Copy).jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 1,635
well thats the first set of overlapped medals done , posted them on my FB page and it looks as tho things are gonna get very busy cheers for your exellent guide DC

Could have cleaned them first! Your GSM and LS&GC are gopping ;)

I would recommend Goddards Silver Dip when they are stripped down. You dunk them for 30 secs, little brush with a toothbrush and Bob's your uncle.

Goddards also do a polish that prevent tarnishing for longer.

4-5 quid a medal.

Sent from my iPhone using ARRSE app with my weiner fingers.

Our rip-off tossers that have the contract at the clothing store charge £7.50 per medal...and our clothing store provides all the Ribbon and brooches they need, can't understand how contracts allow this to happen??

I've tried looking online for ribbon, but most places only sell by the metre. I'd rather buy a roll if I can, but the standard price is at least £50 a roll, which seems quite steep. Apart from the local Garrison tailor (not really an option as I'm on tour at the minute) does anyone know of a cheap place to get it?

Boris_Johnson

ADC
DirtyBAT
I've tried looking online for ribbon, but most places only sell by the metre. I'd rather buy a roll if I can, but the standard price is at least £50 a roll, which seems quite steep. Apart from the local Garrison tailor (not really an option as I'm on tour at the minute) does anyone know of a cheap place to get it?

Mess Dress sell it by the roll @ £50 each - and I agree it is a little steep. But for 25 metres, theoretically you should be able to mount 100 medals with it. So if you charged say, a lowly £3 per medal - then that would still leave you a £250 profit margin.

All full size ribbons have NSNs so can be demanded by the QMs. But as you're on tour, would it not be better just to buy it as you need it? A lot of the suppliers are quite accommodating too - you can give them a bell and explain exactly how much you're after and get them to give you their best price. Cuts down on P&P too :)

DC, I have seen their is a female way of mounting medals...? in a bow...? is it only for one or group (as i have only seen two females with single medals (QDJM) done in a bow on the mess kit)

any idear how its done if it right

well we have not yet to see the PCS as of yet but we should get them by 1st september...? we was getting them 1st march, then then 1st june.

Latest Threads