The diets cutting one in five lives short every year

Yokel

LE
The diets cutting one in five lives short

The food we eat is putting 11 million of us into an early grave each year, an influential study shows.

The analysis, in the Lancet, found that our daily diet is a bigger killer than smoking and is now involved in one in five deaths around the world.

Salt - whether in bread, soy sauce or processed meals - shortened the highest number of lives.

Researchers say this study is not about obesity, but "poor quality" diets damaging hearts and causing cancer.

So which diets have got it in for me?
The Global Burden of Disease Study is the most authoritative assessment of how people are dying in every country in the world.

The latest analysis used estimates of countries' eating habits to pin down how often diet was shortening lives.

The dangerous diets were those containing:
  1. Too much salt - three million deaths
  2. Too few whole grains - three million deaths
  3. Too little fruit - two million deaths
Low levels of nuts, seeds, vegetables, omega-3 from seafood and fibre were the other major killers.

Cont....

Perhaps my preferred breakfast of Crunchy Nut Cornflakes and milk followed by a couple of slices of seeded/granary toast with peanut butter and a couple of cups of tea is good after all?

endure

GCM
I was a bit worried there but as there's no mention of BFO fry-ups I shall carry on as usual...

I was a bit worried there but as there's no mention of BFO fry-ups I shall carry on as usual...
Bacon is high salt, plus some people will put some extra on as well and a BFO fry up constitues too few whole grains and too little fruit. As one meal a day mixed with a better diet the rest of the time some impact, if every meal is similar then you're well down the road to an early death.

Sugar I feel is the real enemy, once you are used to it your body craves alternatives when you cut down

It really is an addiction, and the mistake people often make is that fruit is healthy and forget the sugar spikes that come with it

Yes it is ok in moderation, but bananas for example contain obscene amounts of sugar, like wise with oranges

Bacon is high salt, plus some people will put some extra on as well and a BFO fry up constitues too few whole grains and too little fruit. As one meal a day mixed with a better diet the rest of the time some impact, if every meal is similar then you're well down the road to an early death.
Chuck some tomatoes in....

endure

GCM

I've managed to reach 70 and considering the amount of recreational I hoovered up in my youth that's quite something. A few more fry ups won't make that much difference.

I've managed to reach 70 and considering the amount of recreational I hoovered up in my youth that's quite something. A few more fry ups won't make that much difference.
I was once daft enough to gently chide one of the old and bold for smoking as he was not going to join us on a trip due to heart arrhythmia. He equally gently told me that at the age of 89 he felt it was too late to bother.

Shite food is like a drug , once you start its hard to get off it , salt/sugar/flour being some of your addictive enemy`s .

It really is an addiction, and the mistake people often make is that fruit is healthy and forget the sugar spikes that come with it
The sugars in fruit are generally C5 - the big problem is sucrose and similar C6 variants.

Chuck some tomatoes in....
Put five on your plate and you have your daily dose...……...

Yokel

LE
I often find that bacon and sausages are salty, and things like marmite also contain salt. The thing is your taste buds get used to how things taste, and you stop noticing unnecessary salt and sugar. Therefore you cannot rely on taste to tell you if things are too salty or sweet.

I suppose it is similar to the way any sort of test equipment has to be re-calibrated regularly.

DaManBugs

On ROPS
On ROPs
Book Reviewer
Vegan is the way forward! You know it makes sense.

MsG

Only if you have no idea how your body works.
You have to have a bit of idea how your body works to be make a success of a vegan diet, same with any diet, I have lost count of the number of retards who have told me "meat has fibre" and "you need animal fats" or "you can only get protein from animal sources" , or don't actually know what bacon is.

Surely the body is perfectly adapted to eating mold. No?
You don't have to eat quorn, it doesn't agree with me and many others, but fungi are chemically and biologically a lot closer to meat than vegetables are.

Surely the body is perfectly adapted to eating mold. No?
I like cheese.
Also pasta, rice, potatoes, many vegetables, but no fruits as I do not have a sweet tooth.
And meat, not in humungous amounts but I like meat.
As does my body. It is why I am a lean, fit and good looking 66 year old.
There may be some slight exaggeration in the above.

You have to have a bit of idea how your body works to be make a success of a vegan diet, same with any diet, I have lost count of the number of retards who have told me "meat has fibre" and "you need animal fats" or "you can only get protein from animal sources" , or don't actually know what bacon is.
I cannot argue with that, except to say why go out of your way to eat healthily when a normal diet does the same for you.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I often find that bacon and sausages are salty, and things like marmite also contain salt. The thing is your taste buds get used to how things taste, and you stop noticing unnecessary salt and sugar. Therefore you cannot rely on taste to tell you if things are too salty or sweet.

I suppose it is similar to the way any sort of test equipment has to be re-calibrated regularly.
A couple of years back SWMBO and I did the Clean & Lean diet.

No great surprises: lots of fresh, no processed food, no caffeine. There’s a four-week detox at the beginning. At the end, you could have one treat. I had a bar of milk chocolate. It tasted disgusting. I’d got used to fresh.

Around the world, different cultures eat different things. That, from an early age, conditions the palate. There is a large element of conditioning, here. The problem is a combination of laziness, ignorance, bad parenting and a lack of self-discipline.

Latest Threads