The Devil's Music

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by CaptainPlume, Jan 20, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Looking for something else & found this on iPlayer The Devil's Music. It's a history of the Blues & has Alexis Korner dressed up like something off the Open University...

Edit to add:

This is four episodes. Episode 1 is Alexis Korner doing talking head to camera which cuts to live performances. I thought I knew the Blues, but there's some obscure & very enjoyable stuff here!

2. Cheers CP :) I'll enjoy listening to this when I get back later :)

3. As I posted elsewhere when I woke up this morning I still had a job, my Baby hadn't done left me & we don't own a dog but still got to love the blues!

4. I wake up lonely every morning, my 3 legged mongrel is a hairs breadth from the vets syringe, I still do have a job but with the government wanting to privatise the Royal mail I may not have one much longer!!!
    I still love the Blues though :)
    PS Not that utter utter utter shoite that kids today refer to as RnB :omfg:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Bollocks!

Currently BBC iPlayer TV programmes are available to play in the UK only, but all BBC iPlayer Radio programmes are available to you. Why?If you are in the UK and see this message please readthis advice.Go to the BBC iPlayer Radio homepage

6. Ahem! Cough Have you tried googling for torrents? Cough!

7. Ahem, cough, would have suggested the same but I'm a techno fuckwit so have no idea how these loopholes work, just that they do...

8. The only music to listen to,I can remember my elder brother playing Big Bill Broonsey 78's in the 50's,and my education went from there.

I remember the outrage when Howlin Wolf released his first 'electric' album in the 60's,mega album!

Alexis Korner,had so many great people go through 'The Bluesbreakers',but my heart always belonged to John Lee Hooker,after watching him live as a 16 year old,at the Marquee in the 60's,kids today wouldn't know a decent tune if it kicked 'em in the bollocks.

Amazing when you realise that,all the great american 'blues men' had to come to the UK,and be 'discovered',before their music,was played on white radio stations in the US.

9. Try expat shield, it gives you a UK ip, and Let's you watch the BBC player.

10. modern R+B??? give me strength............. THIS IS R+B!!!!!!!!

Dr Feelgood - Milk & Alcohol - YouTube

• Like Like x 1
  11. I had the great pleasure of seeing the Paul Jones band at the Wallingford Beer & Blues festival a few years back. It's a great weekend if you fancy a trip to S Oxon in the Summer (scheduled for 1-2 Jun 12 next time).

12. Watch this. A great 'glammed up' version of how it all came to be. Some outstanding acting, songs ....and educational too.

Cadillac Records (2008) - IMDb

My only real knowledge came via these ,below, back in the late 70's.....had many a night sipping my drinks and a listening to these fellas.

Living Chicago Blues, Vol. 1 - Various Artists | AllMusic

Living Chicago Blues, Vol. 2 | Various Artists Album | Yahoo! Music

13. Thank God for the Blues & Jazz. Borrowing all FatherPlume's stuff (along with '50s & '60s rock 'n' roll) meant I had no embarrassing purchases in my early years...

• Like Like x 1