The destruction of petionville, port au prince

#1
I am sure you have seen the news of a massive earthquake hitting Port Au Prince, the capital of Haiti. This has destroyed most of the capital, including both government and aid buildings, schools, housing and hospitals. The death toll is rising alarmingly. A greater part of the deaths appear to be in Petion Ville, one of the poorest places in the Western Hemisphere.

The aid agencies are starting to respond to this crisis, yet another blow to a country that has been hit by a number of natural crises last year after years of man made crises before that.

I shall be donating money to Care International, who are part of the Disasters Emergency Committee. If any of you would like to do the same, then donations can be given at:

https://www.secure.careinternational.org.uk/form.asp?id=419&cachefixer=


Mods - if this is in the wrong place / inappropriate, feel free to move this.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#2
Sadly complete sinking of the whole cess pit is probably best but as per usual we will be tapped up by the chuggers. I have nothing against helping people but Haiti has been a hell hole for far too long!
 
#3
Petionville is not the poorest 'hood in Haiti by far, that's where the rich and famous locals are living... all the best restaurants are located there. "Le Bistro" is a nice one...

If you want a poor district, go to Cite Soleil or Canape Vert...the slums there are unbelievable....
 
#4
Bazzinho1977 said:
I am sure you have seen the news of a massive earthquake hitting Port Au Prince, the capital of Haiti. This has destroyed most of the capital, including both government and aid buildings, schools, housing and hospitals. The death toll is rising alarmingly. A greater part of the deaths appear to be in Petion Ville, one of the poorest places in the Western Hemisphere.

The aid agencies are starting to respond to this crisis, yet another blow to a country that has been hit by a number of natural crises last year after years of man made crises before that.

I shall be donating money to Care International, who are part of the Disasters Emergency Committee. If any of you would like to do the same, then donations can be given at:

https://www.secure.careinternational.org.uk/form.asp?id=419&cachefixer=


Mods - if this is in the wrong place / inappropriate, feel free to move this.
Well, good for you. I shall not.
 

ugly

LE
Moderator
#5
Haiti is a hole not just any particular town, wealth is relative!
 
#6
I've no doubt some of my taxes will be sent there by the Department For Inept Donations, so I think I'll pass thanks. It'll be time to donate to the RNLI soon.
 
#7
think comrade fidel should be encouraged to take the place over.
everything else has been tried usually badly to make the place work :evil:

Ok the rich may complain but morally rephensiable elities can go to florida or be shot they are part of the problem :twisted:


cuba survives regardless of a us blockade they might be able to make the place function. can't see anyone else.
 
#8
I believe there are people in the United Kingdom who are homeless. I shall therefore be attending to their needs first...

Post-imperial guilt trip or genuine humanitarianism. We'll never really know.
 
#9
sorry ment comrade raoul :roll:
 
#10
Cuddles said:
I believe there are people in the United Kingdom who are homeless. I shall therefore be attending to their needs first...

Post-imperial guilt trip or genuine humanitarianism. We'll never really know.
Agreed.
There are many worthy places for any spare cash right here in the UK.
 
#11
fantassin said:
Petionville is not the poorest 'hood in Haiti by far, that's where the rich and famous locals are living... all the best restaurants are located there. "Le Bistro" is a nice one...

If you want a poor district, go to Cite Soleil or Canape Vert...the slums there are unbelievable....
Had the worst Garlic Mushrooms in my life whilst at "Le Bistro" back in 2000. It was literally a plate of raw mushrooms sliced with sunflower oil and raw crushed garlic on them.

Anyway, Petionville was a sh1thole last time I was there. We only went down to Cite Soleil to visit a mad vuduan priest called Silva Josef.

Basically, comparing any part of Haiti to the rest of the Western world leaves you thinking it is a hell hole.
 
#12
Cuddles said:
I believe there are people in the United Kingdom who are homeless. I shall therefore be attending to their needs first...

Post-imperial guilt trip or genuine humanitarianism. We'll never really know.
Yes. But a vast number of those in the UK are absolute lackwits who wont pull their own bloody fingers out. Some are genuinely deserving of charity. How can you tell the difference?

As for your comment on post-imperial guilt trip - I am not certain we had anything to do with Haiti during any of its history when we had an empire. So why should anybody in the UK feel guilty?

Anyway - giving to charity is a p1ss1ng competition about which charity each individual chooses to give money to or not. I just felt that perhaps somebody should provide people who wanted to donate with information of where they could donate.
 
#13
Bravo_Zulu said:
I've no doubt some of my taxes will be sent there by the Department For Inept Donations, so I think I'll pass thanks. It'll be time to donate to the RNLI soon.
As an ex-crew at Falmouth station, I applaud your donation.
 
#14
Rumour has it, the earthquake did £50million worth of improvements.
Sorry but charity begins at home and the "caribbean" should look after their own.
All those rich bankers with their off-shore accounts can help.
 
#15
One can imagine that the only responders will be the UK and the US...the leftist nations in the region,, Cuba and Venezuela will stand by and do nothing. like most of Europe, as well.
 
#16
RedCoat2009 said:
One can imagine that the only responders will be the UK and the US...the leftist nations in the region,, Cuba and Venezuela will stand by and do nothing. like most of Europe, as well.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8456819.stm
A number of nations, including the US, UK and Venezuela, are gearing up to send aid.
You might want to read the news updates before gobbing off at the hip.
 
#17
The main problem with giving donations as individuals is that we are bombarded via the media, rattling tins, begging, mail shots, tv advertising, concerts by celebs etc., by the mighty charity industry [for that is what it is], employing tens of thousands pushing a message of guilt if one does not help. I am of the opinion [we all have one] is that charity begins at home and being ex-service , mine is centred towards the military. Natural catastrophes have been happening since time immemorial and will continue to do so. I will not donate a brass farthing to the dying continent of Africa but feel for the people of Haiti and agree that government driven short term practical aid for the victims of the earthquake is a good call.
 
#18
A number of nations, including the US, UK and Venezuela, are gearing up to send aid. [/quote]

You might want to read the news updates before gobbing off at the hip.[/quote]

**********************************

Don't hold your breath...IF Venezuela shows up, it will be for propaganda purposes...I ma sure you have read that Chavez has begun energy rationing and currency cuts of up to 50%. He has driven the nation to bankruptcy.

I stand by my statement, the UK, US and Canada will carry the weight...the others will just watch.
 
#19
France is sending 120 firemen, K9 teams, 36 Gendarmes and three planeloads of supply to start with; then French armed forces helicopters located in the French West Indies (Puma and Fennec) are likely to join in as well as some French Navy ships.
 
#20
exile1 said:
The main problem with giving donations as individuals is that we are bombarded via the media, rattling tins, begging, mail shots, tv advertising, concerts by celebs etc., by the mighty charity industry [for that is what it is], employing tens of thousands pushing a message of guilt if one does not help. I am of the opinion [we all have one] is that charity begins at home and being ex-service , mine is centred towards the military. Natural catastrophes have been happening since time immemorial and will continue to do so. I will not donate a brass farthing to the dying continent of Africa but feel for the people of Haiti and agree that government driven short term practical aid for the victims of the earthquake is a good call.
Stop that.

Sensible, well considered posts lacking any vitriol or anger are simply not allowed on these boards.
 

Similar threads

New Posts

Latest Threads

Top