The delicate relationship between intelligence and the application of force in COIN

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by ehwhat, Jun 26, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

I've been away for a bit and am now finishing reports and wading through the messages that clog the inbox. So many messages, so little meaningful content. Nonetheless, this one caught my eye being very recent and I thought I would pass it on. It doesn't say much that most won't already know, but it does seem to capture the current state of education/training for the topic. If you have an interest the link is below.

The authors short bio:
    "The author worked for several years as a military intelligence analyst .
    He is currently studying for an advanced degree"

Know Thy Enemy: Intelligence in COIN Operations
  2. He doesn't say much that most haven't already said, either.
  3. An analyst of military intelligence maybe, not a military intelligence analyst. He's written something a very average Intelligence Corps LCpl could bang out in a week.
  4. Parts of that article are so inaccurate it had me cringing. With regard to the Int Corps L/Cpl taking a week to bang it out - I think he/she would have cuffed it, with greater historical accuracy, between NAAFI break and lunch!
  5. FFS - I scanned as far as para 5 when I came to 'declining political situation in Oman'. Declining political situation? Is that a euphemism for a war?

The SAS were deployed to support the operations of the Sultan's Armed Forces. And as for 'the SAS ... had more experience applying productive methods of collecting intelligence', don't get me started on the difference between collecting information and producing intelligence.

I might read further later, but it looks like the bleeding obvious painted in academic language.
  6. Surely the best way to stop an insurgency is not to start it by acting like big ignorant arrogant masters of the world in someone else's front room.
  7. ehwhat

ehwhat Old-Salt Book Reviewer

So, I am not alone in my opinion. I'm almost rather sorry for that.
    The university is ranked 14th in the UK, in one poll, and somewhat less in another. The review of the article should have been done by their advisor prior to submission.

Is it just me, or does it seem that an ever growing number of schools are putting in half-baked international relations/terrorism studies programmes?
  8. The Sultan of Oman is an aging old queen, with no real idea as to who should take over the country when he pops it.
    Given Oman's position and importance in the Mid east, equal to if not superior to Saudi. Then i think he not worry about a thing, as either the Septic or our self's will continue to support the queen for as long as it takes or at least until the oil runs out.
  9. The media seems to be full of them, mostly academics, and as far as their historical understanding of counter intelligence goes, I don't think one of them would know the difference between a Tom Collins and Michael Collins.
  10. Read the linked paper, brief and reads more like a summary of a longer final paper/thesis/dissertation. Interesting and I would guess that there was little review from an advisor. I did note that he seems to credit/blame General Casey for policies originating at levels far above 4* rank. Thanks for posting the link though.

I would agree that a lot of programs concerning terrorism and asymmetrical conflict have developed in recent years and some are a bit half baked. The increase is driven, of course, by increased demand. Twenty five years ago, when a grad student at Harvard I had to cross register to the Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy which is a joint Tufts University venture in order to take courses in terrorism. I have heard decent things about St Andrews in the UK and Georgetown School of Foreign Service in the US. The US Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey, CA has an excellent reputation but I don't think it is open to students without a government sponsor.
  11. And they'd know to put the privacy settings higher on their account, if they had one.

Ryan Aherin - United Kingdom | LinkedIn

High opinion of himself. Maybe justified. Maybe not.

Hmm, so that's not a language graduate then....?

But then states
    But doesn't give the NATO grading? Maybe some who speaks it well be along in a minute, but proficient in a year?

Should know to have the privacy settings up a bit then.

I smell a something fishy, and I, not talkng about the contect of Baldrick's apple crumble.

Yep, sadly.
  12. I smell Spam, which is a comfort because it would be extremely depressing to think this was a former member of the Int Corps.
  13. Worry not! US Air Force apparently.
  14. Twenty five years ago, DavidBOC you could have taken courses in terrorism in Belfast and Londonderry ... oh, I see what you mean. Mind you, those courses in NI were US-funded!
    • Like Like x 1

15. Erm, Retread...The courses I took were "how to deal with" not "how to engage in" terrorism.

Belfast was nice before all the troubles. Last time I visited Belfast was January 31st, 1972, perhaps not the best day to visit Belfast.