Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The definitive guide on Medals as at Jan 06

arfah

LE
I'm glad this thread has cropped up.

Whilst on Remembrance Parade, two bods (a Sergeant and a Lancejack) were wearing both their non article 5 ISAF and their OSM Afghan. !!!

When I mentioned it to the sergeant he said, " No one could confirm or deny (at the time) whether they should or shouldn't !" I said nothing further as I could not recall the correct regs.
As for the Lancejack, he said, "As I was posted to NATO, I'm entitled to wear the Non Article 5 (So why was he wearing the OSM Afghan ?)! Again, I had to let it slide due to not knowing the correct regs.

I would normally follow it up before the RSM notices but as they aren't in my squadron - Fcuk 'em ! Instead I will ask for the RSM's "Guidance." :wink:

I have seen a guy with a 2 on his UN Bosnia, a 3 on his NATO Bosnia and a 2 on his NATO Kosovo! That's a lot of time spent in the Balkans.

As an aside to this with my bit about only 144 Rhodesia medals being issued which medal had the least issues? Anyone any idea?

biffins-bridge

War Hero
jack-daniels said:
As an aside to this with my bit about only 144 Rhodesia medals being issued which medal had the least issues? Anyone any idea?

Probably the GSM with clasp 'South Vietnam' with only 68 issued all to members of the Australian Defence Forces deployed in training teams and as advisors between 24 December 1962 and 29 May 1964. After this date the Vietnam Medal was issued.

biffins-bridge said:
jack-daniels said:

Probably the GSM with clasp 'South Vietnam' with only 68 issued all to members of the Australian Defence Forces deployed in training teams and as advisors between 24 December 1962 and 29 May 1964. After this date the Vietnam Medal was issued.

I was thinking mainly issued to British Forces. Not counting them Hooligans who may have been attached to the Aussies!

biffins-bridge

War Hero
jack-daniels said:
biffins-bridge said:
jack-daniels said:

I was thinking mainly issued to British Forces. Not counting them Hooligans who may have been attached to the Aussies!

Naval GSM 1915 - 1962 with clasp 'Bomb and Mine Clearance Mediterranian' for EOD mainly in Malta 1956. Only 60 issued I believe.

'Yangze 1949' clasp quite rare too (1450 issued)

I remember reading on here that the QSJB was in short supply, but can't remember specifics. No doubt someone will post specifics, or a link to the conversation.

As an aside, with Northern Ireland being non-operational now, how likely is it that we'll be seeing the ACSM issued in ten years from now? 1080 days of non NATO, non UN operations is a tall order, no matter how busy you are.

Just under 3 years in Iraq, Afghanistan, Sierra Leone or The Congo! The thing is though for the Paras and Booties who joined in 2000 and are still in that the ACSM is easily achievable.

skintboymike said:
As an aside, with Northern Ireland being non-operational now, how likely is it that we'll be seeing the ACSM issued in ten years from now? 1080 days of non NATO, non UN operations is a tall order, no matter how busy you are.

we will soon be seeing ACSMs in wear from people that have been nowhere near NI, 6 tours, people will soon rack that up.

Although i think we will see far fewer officers with the ACSM now since the demise of HQNI and the various staff hqs in province where it was common place to serve 2 yrs. But i heard a rumour that the 2* and above HQs may becone 12 month tours for senior officers?

Police officers who serve aborad with the UN and EU police monitoring missions are often awarded UN medals for places such as FY, Kosovo and the Iraqi reconstruction medal, are they allowed to wear them? (this is probably academic, no one wears their tunic anymore anyway)

Trotsky

barbs said:
Please read this DIN prior to making an assumption about medal entitlemenst and associated rumours!

2006DIN10-002 dated Jan 06

Introduction

1. This DIN, which is based on JSP 761 – ‘Honours and Awards in the Armed Forces’ – is intended to make widely available the instructions for the wearing of orders, decorations and medals, and their ribbons, in uniform.

Awards that may be worn

2. United Kingdom awards (which include State Honours for gallantry or meritorious service, campaign/operational service medals and long service and conduct awards and other medals) may only be worn by properly entitled personnel. Entitlement is derived usually either by announcement in the London Gazette or through an entry on a Service Person’s record of service which can be verified at the Ministry of Defence Medal Office. Commonwealth and foreign awards or those issued by international organisations (eg, UN, NATO) may not be worn unless the individual has been given ‘permission to accept and wear’. Individual permission may be derived from an
announcement in the London Gazette, or may take the form of a letter from the Private Secretary to The Queen. In the case of Commonwealth or foreign campaign service medals, collective permission will usually be promulgated through DCI or DINs. Details of any Commonwealth or foreign award for which permission to accept and wear has been given must be entered on the individual’s record of service. (See Paragraph 14 for awards without permission to wear).

3. Commanding officers are responsible for ensuring that personnel under their command wear only those medals or ribbons to which they are entitled, and for ensuring that the appropriate entries have been made in records of service.

4. Enquiries about the wearing of decorations (United Kingdom, Commonwealth, Foreign or International Organisations’) for gallantry or for meritorious service, in an operational theatre or otherwise, should be directed to Service Secretaries’ staffs. The Ministry of Defence Medal Office will answer queries on ‘campaign’ or similar medals.

Order of Wear

5. Instructions on the order in which awards are to be worn are published from time to time in the London Gazette. The most recent instruction was published on 17 Mar 03 and was titled “The London Gazette of Friday 14 March 2003 Supplement No. 1 Number 56878” and covers only those awards commonly seen within the Armed Forces. The London Gazettes can be found at http://www.london-gazette.co.uk. To ascertain the position in which an award not listed in this instruction should be worn, the London Gazette instruction should be consulted or the matter should be raised with Service Secretaries’ staffs.

United Kingdom Campaign, General Service and Operational Service Medals

6. Campaign medals currently in wear are:

a. South Atlantic Medal: 02 Apr 82 to 12 Jul 82.
b. Gulf Medal: 02 Aug 90 to 07 Mar 91.
c. Iraq Medal: 20 Jan 03 to present day.

7. The General Service Medal, 1962, with the following clasps, is currently in wear:

a. Northern Ireland: 14 Aug 69 to present day.
b. Dhofar: 01 Oct 69 to 03 Sep 76.
c. Lebanon: 07 Feb 83 to 09 Mar 84.
d. Mine clearance – Gulf of Suez: 15 Aug 84 to 15 Oct 84.
e. Gulf: 17 Nov 86 to 28 Feb 89.
f. Kuwait: 8 Mar 91 to 30 Sep 91.
g. Northern Iraq/South Turkey: 06 Apr 91 to 17 Jul 91.
h. Air Operations – Iraq: 16 Jul 91 to 18 Mar 03.

8. The Operational Service Medal has been awarded since 2000 as follows:

a. Sierra Leone OSM: 05 May 00 to 31 Jul 02.
b. Afghanistan OSM: 11 Sep 01 to present day.
c. Democratic Republic of Congo: 14 Jun 03 to 10 Sep 03.

9. The medals in paragraphs 6-8 above are worn in the order in which the recipient qualified for them. Medals awarded by International Organisations

10. Permission to accept and wear the following awards has been given:

a. United Nations Medal for service with:
(i) UNFICYP (Cyprus): 27 Mar 64 to date to be decided.
(ii) UNTAG (Namibia): 01 Apr 89 to 31 Mar 90.
(iii) UNIKOM (Iraq/Kuwait): 01 Apr 91 to 06 Oct 03.
(iv) MINURSO (Western Sahara): 10 Apr 91 to date to be decided.
(v) UNAMIC/UNTAC (Cambodia): 01 Oct 91 to 30 Sep 93.
(vi) UNPROFOR (Yugoslavia): 01 Mar 92 to 31 Dec 95.
(vii) UNOMIG (Georgia): 23 Aug 93 to date to be decided.
(viii) UNAMIR (Rwanda): 01 Oct 93 to 31 Mar 96.
(ix) UNAVEM 3 (Angola): 01 Feb 95 to 01 Jun 97.
(x) UNOMSIL/UNAMSIL (Sierra Leone): 1 Jun 98 to date to be decided.
(xi) UNAMET/UNTAET (East Timor): 7 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
(xii) UNMIK (Kosovo): 10 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
(xiii) MONUC (Congo): 30 Nov 99 to date to be decided.
(xiv) UNMEE (Ethiopia/Eritrea): 15 Sep 00 to date to be decided.

b. United Nations Special Service Medal with Clasp:
(i) UNOCHA (Mine-clearance – Peshawar): 1989 – 1990.
(ii) Sarajevo Airlift: 03 Jul 92 to 12 Jan 96.
(iii) UNSCOM (Iraq): Apr 91 to 17 Dec 99.

c. NATO Medal with ribbon/clasp for:
(i) Former Republic of Yugoslavia*: 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 02.
(ii) Kosovo*: 13 Oct 98 to 31 Dec 02.
(iii) Macedonia: 01 Jun 01 to 31 Dec 02

d. NATO Non-Article 5 Medal:
(i) Balkans (Non-Article 5): 01 Jan 03 to date to be decided.
(N.B. Macedonia [FYROM] elements ceased on 31 Mar 03 and the Bosnia Herzegovina elements ceased on 01 Dec 04).

e. European Community Monitoring Mission Medal (Yugoslavia): 25 May 91 to 30 Jun 92.

f. Western European Union Mission Medal* (Yugoslavia): 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 96.

The above medals are worn in the same manner as United Kingdom medals, ie, in the order in which the individual qualified for them. All UN medals and those annotated with an asterisk above may be worn with numerals indicating repeated tours.

[b]Other Foreign and Commonwealth Medals Authorised for Wear

11. Permission to accept and wear the following awards has been given:

a. Malaysia General Service Medal: 11 Aug 66 to 31 Dec 89. (Loan Service only).
b. Muscat/Oman Dhofar Medal: 23 May 65 to 30 Sep 76. (Loan Service only).
c. UNITAS (Republic of South Africa): 01 Jun 94 to 26 Apr 03 (BMATT only).
d. Australian INTERFET (East Timor): 16 Sep 99 to 10 Apr 00. It is worn as a Commonwealth medal instituted by the Sovereign, i.e. after all United Kingdom awards.[/b]

Golden Jubilee Medal

I Have all the above Medals. But not the Jubilee Medal..................... thats for Losers

WALT!!!!!!!! Living the dream!! I'll get my coat................

There was a rule where you could wear medals that had been handed down to you from a family member,but you had to wear them on the right brest.You had to get permission to wear em,there are a number of criterias to follow,A:-You had to be a direct decendant,B:-The family member had to have been a member of the regiment or one of the regiments if almalgamated.C:-only medals to be worn are for gallantry and bravery,as these medals were not only awarded to the man but to the regiment on a whole.

goon_bde said:
skintboymike said:

we will soon be seeing ACSMs in wear from people that have been nowhere near NI, 6 tours, people will soon rack that up.

Although i think we will see far fewer officers with the ACSM now since the demise of HQNI and the various staff hqs in province where it was common place to serve 2 yrs. But i heard a rumour that the 2* and above HQs may becone 12 month tours for senior officers?

My point is that, as far as I am aware, Northern Ireland is no longer an operational tour, and is now in fact a normal UK posting.

my point is, exactly what i said before....given the frequency of op tours to AFG & IZ, we will soon be seeing ACSMs issued to people that haven't been to NI

goon_bde said:
my point is, exactly what i said before....given the frequency of op tours to AFG & IZ, we will soon be seeing ACSMs issued to people that haven't been to NI

Unlucky sods indeed. Assuming you do a 6 month tour every year, you could have the ACSM within 7 years of signing up, which is, above all else, a sad realisation.

ugly

LE
I served seven years of which 12 months was as a junior and then into a Bn training for NI. 4 & 1/2 months later back for 1 year in Germany followed by mnove to UK. Arrive in UK, spend 6 months training and 4 months in the Falklands (no gong 1985). Come back and next year train for a 2 year tour in NI, so after 4 months prep straight into a two year tour in NI.
Not counting trips to moscow camp for the CWS it means that apart from the year in training and 1 year in Baor out of the other 5 years at least 4 months a year for 2 years on op tours and a 2 and a bit year residential tour following. Op tempo increased my arrsse.
All that and only one poxy GSM!
This was from 81 to 88!

ugly said:
Op tempo increased my arrsse.

ugly, not sure if that was a bite?

i think the point is, in a sixth month tour, an inf pl will have more contacts and hostile action and expend more munitions and controlled more firepower than an entire inf bde would in your time in NI.

Its not a just a question of the enhanced turbulance that people are experience in training, courses, PDT and tours, but what they are actually doing on those tours - in essence high intensity warfighting within the context of a counter insurgency campaign (AFG)- probably a first for us Brits

ugly

LE
Not deriding the efforts of todays youth but pointing out that even when all we had was NI op tempo certainly was high, if we were one or two units ahead in the spearhead roster I would have scraped in to the ACSM. As it was the stuff we were crashed for wouldnt have couted for anything!
Officers and SNCOs in my Bn had racked up over 10 tours each in NI when I had joined and it wasnt that old then!
If a Bn is lucky in a sandpit it tends to only have 2 or 3 fatal cas which is pretty marvellous cconsidering the ordnance spent in each direction. In NI it was rare to have a tour with no cas at all in the 80's. Not much change from then to now apart from now you are getting the chance to fire back at them and they arent as clever as the Provos were!
heaven help us if they get that good!

Trust me, the Taliban are a hell of a lot smarter than PIRA ever were. The Taliban certainly aren't stupid and have plenty of battle experience. PIRA were good at firing one or two rounds and running away and setting up culvert bombs and mortars. They certainly didn't have the balls for a stand up fight like the Taliban do.

Ugly -

body counts aren't a useful yardstick.

consider medical advances, force-protection measures and the relative naievity of ops in NI in the earlier days. eg shite body armour, shite helmets, shite ECM, moving people around in soft-skinned vehicles and bomb-me buses...sadly many of the good TTPs in practice today were derived from mistakes and lessons learned in NI.

As for doing 10 tours, IIRC when i first joined tours were 4 months long - and - having done NI - Balkans and Sandpits - there is considerably more stress in a theatre the other side of the world with little or no infra-structure than a CT tour in the UK, and the balkans where semi-decent infra existed but there were cultural differences.

Again, not deriding the NI experiences, nor the sacrifices troops made there, but the austerity and tempo of Afg is considerably worse than NI.

Latest Threads