The definitive guide on Medals as at Jan 06

Discussion in 'Medals' started by barbs, Apr 8, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Please read this DIN prior to making an assumption about medal entitlemenst and associated rumours!

2006DIN10-002 dated Jan 06

1. This DIN, which is based on JSP 761 – ‘Honours and Awards in the Armed Forces’ – is intended to make widely available the instructions for the wearing of orders, decorations and medals, and their ribbons, in uniform.

Awards that may be worn

2. United Kingdom awards (which include State Honours for gallantry or meritorious service, campaign/operational service medals and long service and conduct awards and other medals) may only be worn by properly entitled personnel. Entitlement is derived usually either by announcement in the London Gazette or through an entry on a Service Person’s record of service which can be verified at the Ministry of Defence Medal Office. Commonwealth and foreign awards or those issued by international organisations (eg, UN, NATO) may not be worn unless the individual has been given ‘permission to accept and wear’. Individual permission may be derived from an
    announcement in the London Gazette, or may take the form of a letter from the Private Secretary to The Queen. In the case of Commonwealth or foreign campaign service medals, collective permission will usually be promulgated through DCI or DINs. Details of any Commonwealth or foreign award for which permission to accept and wear has been given must be entered on the individual’s record of service. (See Paragraph 14 for awards without permission to wear).

3. Commanding officers are responsible for ensuring that personnel under their command wear only those medals or ribbons to which they are entitled, and for ensuring that the appropriate entries have been made in records of service.

4. Enquiries about the wearing of decorations (United Kingdom, Commonwealth, Foreign or International Organisations’) for gallantry or for meritorious service, in an operational theatre or otherwise, should be directed to Service Secretaries’ staffs. The Ministry of Defence Medal Office will answer queries on ‘campaign’ or similar medals.

Order of Wear

5. Instructions on the order in which awards are to be worn are published from time to time in the London Gazette. The most recent instruction was published on 17 Mar 03 and was titled “The London Gazette of Friday 14 March 2003 Supplement No. 1 Number 56878” and covers only those awards commonly seen within the Armed Forces. The London Gazettes can be found at To ascertain the position in which an award not listed in this instruction should be worn, the London Gazette instruction should be consulted or the matter should be raised with Service Secretaries’ staffs.

United Kingdom Campaign, General Service and Operational Service Medals

6. Campaign medals currently in wear are:

a. South Atlantic Medal: 02 Apr 82 to 12 Jul 82.
    b. Gulf Medal: 02 Aug 90 to 07 Mar 91.
    c. Iraq Medal: 20 Jan 03 to present day.

7. The General Service Medal, 1962, with the following clasps, is currently in wear:

a. Northern Ireland: 14 Aug 69 to present day.
    b. Dhofar: 01 Oct 69 to 03 Sep 76.
    c. Lebanon: 07 Feb 83 to 09 Mar 84.
    d. Mine clearance – Gulf of Suez: 15 Aug 84 to 15 Oct 84.
    e. Gulf: 17 Nov 86 to 28 Feb 89.
    f. Kuwait: 8 Mar 91 to 30 Sep 91.
    g. Northern Iraq/South Turkey: 06 Apr 91 to 17 Jul 91.
    h. Air Operations – Iraq: 16 Jul 91 to 18 Mar 03.

8. The Operational Service Medal has been awarded since 2000 as follows:

a. Sierra Leone OSM: 05 May 00 to 31 Jul 02.
    b. Afghanistan OSM: 11 Sep 01 to present day.
    c. Democratic Republic of Congo: 14 Jun 03 to 10 Sep 03.

9. The medals in paragraphs 6-8 above are worn in the order in which the recipient qualified for them. Medals awarded by International Organisations

10. Permission to accept and wear the following awards has been given:

a. United Nations Medal for service with:
    (i) UNFICYP (Cyprus): 27 Mar 64 to date to be decided.
    (ii) UNTAG (Namibia): 01 Apr 89 to 31 Mar 90.
    (iii) UNIKOM (Iraq/Kuwait): 01 Apr 91 to 06 Oct 03.
    (iv) MINURSO (Western Sahara): 10 Apr 91 to date to be decided.
    (v) UNAMIC/UNTAC (Cambodia): 01 Oct 91 to 30 Sep 93.
    (vi) UNPROFOR (Yugoslavia): 01 Mar 92 to 31 Dec 95.
    (vii) UNOMIG (Georgia): 23 Aug 93 to date to be decided.
    (viii) UNAMIR (Rwanda): 01 Oct 93 to 31 Mar 96.
    (ix) UNAVEM 3 (Angola): 01 Feb 95 to 01 Jun 97.
    (x) UNOMSIL/UNAMSIL (Sierra Leone): 1 Jun 98 to date to be decided.
    (xi) UNAMET/UNTAET (East Timor): 7 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
    (xii) UNMIK (Kosovo): 10 Jun 99 to date to be decided.
    (xiii) MONUC (Congo): 30 Nov 99 to date to be decided.
    (xiv) UNMEE (Ethiopia/Eritrea): 15 Sep 00 to date to be decided.

b. United Nations Special Service Medal with Clasp:
    (i) UNOCHA (Mine-clearance – Peshawar): 1989 – 1990.
    (ii) Sarajevo Airlift: 03 Jul 92 to 12 Jan 96.
    (iii) UNSCOM (Iraq): Apr 91 to 17 Dec 99.

c. NATO Medal with ribbon/clasp for:
    (i) Former Republic of Yugoslavia*: 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 02.
    (ii) Kosovo*: 13 Oct 98 to 31 Dec 02.
    (iii) Macedonia: 01 Jun 01 to 31 Dec 02.

d. NATO Non-Article 5 Medal:
    (i) Balkans (Non-Article 5): 01 Jan 03 to date to be decided.
    (N.B. Macedonia [FYROM] elements ceased on 31 Mar 03 and the Bosnia Herzegovina elements ceased on 01 Dec 04).

e. European Community Monitoring Mission Medal (Yugoslavia): 25 May 91 to 30 Jun 92.

f. Western European Union Mission Medal* (Yugoslavia): 01 Jul 92 to 31 Dec 96.

The above medals are worn in the same manner as United Kingdom medals, ie, in the order in which the individual qualified for them. All UN medals and those annotated with an asterisk above may be worn with numerals indicating repeated tours.

Other Foreign and Commonwealth Medals Authorised for Wear

11. Permission to accept and wear the following awards has been given:

a. Malaysia General Service Medal: 11 Aug 66 to 31 Dec 89. (Loan Service only).
    b. Muscat/Oman Dhofar Medal: 23 May 65 to 30 Sep 76. (Loan Service only).
    c. UNITAS (Republic of South Africa): 01 Jun 94 to 26 Apr 03 (BMATT only).
    d. Australian INTERFET (East Timor): 16 Sep 99 to 10 Apr 00. It is worn as a Commonwealth medal instituted by the Sovereign, i.e. after all United Kingdom awards.

Golden Jubilee Medal

12. To be eligible personnel must have been in service on 06 Feb 02; have been commissioned or enlisted prior to 07 Feb 97 and have completed five full calendar years’ service on 6 Feb 02.

Promulgation of conditions of award, etc

13. Full details of the conditions of award of United Kingdom medals for operational service and of Commonwealth, Foreign and International Organisations’ awards approved for wear are first promulgated in DCIs (Joint Service) (now DINs). They are later transferred to Single Service Administrative Instructions, which remain in force after the DCI/DIN has lapsed, and which are amended as necessary (eg, with the closing date for qualifying service).

Awards without permission to wear

14. In the event that any Serviceman or woman is presented with an award, whether for gallantry, meritorious service or operational service, for which general permission to accept and wear has not been promulgated, the award may not be worn. Detailed guidance can be found in JSP 761 and further advice may also be obtained from the Service Secretaries’ staffs.

Wearing of emblems on medal ribbons

15. The only emblems which may be worn on a United Kingdom medal ribbon, whether the medal itself is worn or not, are:

a. The bronze oak leaf denoting a Mention-in-Despatches, Queen’s Commendation for Brave Conduct or Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the Air awarded prior to September 1993.
    b. The silver oak leaf denoting a Mention-in-Despatches awarded since September 1993.
    c. The silver laurel spray denoting a Queen’s Commendation for Bravery awarded since September 1993.
    d. The silver eagle denoting a Queen’s Commendation for Bravery in the Air awarded since September 1993.
    e. The silver oak leaf spray denoting a Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service.
    f. The rose emblem denoting the award of a bar or clasp, or specially authorised for the South Atlantic Medal and the Operational Service Medal – Sierra Leone.

16. Only one emblem of each type is to be worn on any one ribbon. (For example, an individual who has received a QCVS for service in Northern Ireland and a further QCVS for service in Air Operations – Iraq will wear only one oak leaf spray on the ribbon of the General Service Medal 1962).

17. United Kingdom emblems may be worn on the ribbons of service medals awarded by the United Nations and NATO.

Miniature Medals

18. Miniature Medals and emblems must correspond exactly to the full size medals an individual is authorised to wear.

Wearing of Medals and Ribbons

19. Only those medals awarded to the individual are to be worn.

20. Medals awarded to the individual are to be worn in accordance with Joint Service Publication 336 Volume 12: Supply Chain Instructions for the LAND Environment on one row on the left hand side of the chest (only the Life Saving Medal of the Order of St John, The Royal Humane Society medals and the medals of The Royal National Lifeboat Institution may be worn on the right side of the chest). When medals cannot, on account of their number, be suspended from the brooch so as to be fully seen, they are to overlap with the first medal fully exposed. Care is to be taken that the obverse is showing and not the reverse.

Wearing of medals after leaving the Service

21. On leaving the Service personnel cease to be bound by these instructions but they are expected to conform to the general instructions published in the London Gazette and in particular not to add any order, decoration, medal or emblem to which they are not verifiably entitled or which has not been approved for acceptance and wear. The wearing of unauthorised awards is a grave discourtesy to Her Majesty The Queen.

Court Mounting of Medals

22. Units on public duties are to have medals court mounted. There is no other requirement for medals to be court mounted.

23. These instructions are to be incorporated in Single Service Administrative Instructions and are to be drawn to the attention of all personnel at regular intervals.
  2. Great post Barbs, should have that as a sticky to save the question being asked over and over again.

3. Excapt that it DOES NOT answer the most asked question on here - WHAT ARE THE QUALIFICATION CRITERION FOR THE ACSM?...

I've read through all of the stuff on medals ever written that I can find and I still have yet to get a definitive answer on what counts towards earning the ACSM.

Anyone out there have a definitive answer, in addition to this one ........

And does OP TELIC (X) count?..................

Edited to add just read post that sums it up niecly but still leaves TELIC un-answered.....
  4. Don't know if it helps Batman, but I have accumulated around 990 days service in NI from 7 years ago leaving me some three months short of qualifying for the ACSM. Anyway, I was back on RnR from OP TELIC 7 in February and applied for the ACSM taking my OP TELIC days in to account. The medal was produced and delivered to me in under two months with all my details correctly engraved on it.

Outstanding performance by the medals office if you ask me, I now have high expectations of receiving my OP TELIC medal this side of the World Cup.

So, once again, yes OP TELIC service does count towards the ACSM, I am living proof. Sorry, can't be bothered to source an official publication stating this, however download the ACSM application form from Armynet, fill it in and pass it to your CC to process on your behalf.
  5. Amen!
  6. What are the rules/regs on LS&GC? I know of 5 people who are waiting to have theirs presented to them.

3 of them have seen their medals which are being kept in the unit safe and have been there for a year.
  7. My Bold...

Squarepants, me auld, I'll do exactly that!

8. Fugly

Fugly LE DirtyBAT

An unofficial rule of thumb: All your shiny medals with your No/Rank/Name engraved on them (NI, Telic etc), days served on those campaigns count towards the ACSM.

Other ops (UNPROFOR,UNFICYP,NATO(KFOR,FRY) etc) do not, the only accumulated thing you gain is liver and kidney damage (UNFICYP especially, also anyone who ever went to Butmir).

Thanks to a bit of war dodging on my part (not whinging out, simply in the wrong unit at the wrong times) of my 4 medals (not counting Jubilee) i have a total of Zero days toward ACSM! won't bother getting a miniature of that one any time soon then................
  9. 15 years exemplary service to automatically qualify for the LS&GCM. If you have ever had a Regimental entry you will have to submit a plea of mitigation even if you've 'been clean' for 15 years. If you've ever been bust, charged for drink driving, done for GBH, theft, drugs or sexual harrassment then you might as well forget it. Many units keep hold of LS&GCM's until they've got enough to have a parade where some bigwig hands 'em out to the recipicents.
  10. And then stay well-behaved - or they'll have it back off you again....

11. Squarepants old bean - forgot to ask this last itme - where on ArmyNet is the form?...

Back to work on Tuesday so will get it from DII and crack on.....
  12. if they wait any longer the whole ruddy unit will have quailified for them....

maybe they will present them when we get our telic medals....

I'll just go and buy a replica for when I leave to stick on the wall of the loo.
  13. Anyone know what the score is with those who have commissioned from the ranks and the LS&GC? Did a fair few years in the ranks with a clean sheet and commissioned, wondering if I will qualify when my 15 year point comes around in a couple of years.
  14. Once you are commissioned entitlement to the LSGC ceases, unless you had the 15 (used to be 18) years in prior to commisisoning then you can receive it. The only officers I know who wear the LSGC qualified for it prior to commissioning.
  15. yep...true!