The definition of a great Englishman & gloriously eccentric officer...

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by Steven_McLaughlin, Aug 6, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. What an incredible example to us all this old Major is; there’d be a lot less Al Qaeda around if we had more blokes like him roaming the world and building bridges with ‘the locals’, wherever they may be. He’s 92 years old and he’s still ‘in the game’, passing on the wisdom of a life well lived and hard fought experience. My only regret is that we can’t bring him back over here to sort out our own dreadful schools and absurdly PC education ministers – but that’s an issue for another post…

Meanwhile, check out the very best of British, in my humble opinion:

BBC News - Audio slideshow: The major's school

2. A career path I pray to follow. Education as it's meant to be: Constructive, empowering and free.

Sentiments echoed: Men like him are the future of a better-rounded global community. I don't think that he would've lasted half this time in a British school with the state of the curriculum, the constant bureaucracy and the attitude of (a good number of) pupils and parents towards teachers and learning mentors.

He is thriving in a society based on place of respect while teaching self-respect and social responsibility. My hat's off to him.

3. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I posted an article about him last year - a really astonishing chap:

http://www.arrse.co.uk/current-affairs-news-analysis/116551-major-rtd-geoffrey-langlands-92-teaching-hindu-kush.html

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009...akistan-school

4. StrainOfCommand, going slightly off topic is that an avatar of the great sumo wrestler, ‘The Wolf’, Chiyonofuji Mitsugu, that you’ve got on your profile? If so, it’s good to know that Arrse has got such knowledgeable and appreciative supporters of such a great sportsman amongst its ranks! Truly that guy was an amazing athlete; he looked more like a heavyweight boxer than a sumo wrestler – frighteningly powerful and he’d dump you on your backside in about two seconds if you went for him.

Bring back Channel 4 Sumo…

Chiyonofuji Mitsugu - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

5. Too right!

Why hasn't this man been knighted? Has anyone brought more credit to this, his country, in a part of the world where the UK isn't very popular? You will not see his like again.