The Death Penalty.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Nov 24, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

There is a young Australain on death row in Singapore for drug smuggling. He’s due to be hanged at 6am local time next Friday. There has been a lot said about it over here and it raises, obviously questions about the death penalty.

It would be interesting to see what others think, not just about execution but the means of execution.

From the SMH

2. As far as I'm aware the'long drop' method was the one used in the UK before capital punishment was abolished.
    Supposedly quick and 'humane' if the length of drop has been calculated correctly.
  3. As you can see from my avatar detail I currently live in Singapore. It's a beautiful little country and my wife and two young daughters find the place a remarkably safe place to live. One of the primary reasons why we feel Singapore is so safe is the legislation in place in relation to crime prevention - the rate of re-offending as I understand it is remarkably low.

I say this to give a little background. I'm not being callous but the bottom-line in this instance is that the young man in question made the mistake (fatal as it now seems) of transiting through a country whose laws are so anti-drug that the death penalty applies if you're caught with 15g of heroin - the reports I've read in the Straits Times indicate he had 400g which is enough for 26,000 doses. Before anyone says I'm taking the media at face value I'm not. Before I changed professions I was a customs officer in the UK and the calculations the media have published are consistent with my own experience.

On an earlier & different thread in relation to the service test I stated that people will always judge the risks before undertaking an activity and if they deem them acceptable will go ahead - in that instance it was a case of shagging the staff. In this instance the young man has taken the risk that he wouldn't get stopped at Changi. He was mistaken and must now face the consequences of the law of the land in which he was arrested. That law is consistent regardless of whether you are Singaporean or foreign and that is the way it should be.

I've left one bit from the original post highlighted - the point about it being a brutal & gruesome death. That may be the case but from what I've seen here in Singapore the judiciary and more importantly the general public have concerns for the potential 26,000 innocents who could also face "brutal & gruesome deaths through drug use" rather than someone who was willing to provide them with the means and has also admitted his guilt.

As long as there is profit in the drug trade foolish people such as this young man will take the risk - some like him will pay the ultimate price. I think the words of the hangman, if true, are very poignant.

4. Have to agree to a point with LancsLad on this one. Personally I'm totally opposed to the death penalty for a number of (I believe) well considered reasons.

However, I also firmly believe that if you choose to take a chance in breaking the law then you have to accept that, if caught, you will face the punishment set down by the juristiction in which you're caught. In this case the attitude of Singapore, along with several other countries in Asia, towards drug smuggling is very well known and, I believe, publicised to travellers heading for the area.

Take the chance by all means, but take responsibility for the consequences if you get caught.
  5. Long drop is based upon the mass and velocity calculation and requires a force to be exerted - hopefully on 2nd vertebra of 22 cwts. Memory is a funny thing - I was taught that over 50 years ago as a young sibyll!
  6. I prefer the kick the bucket method personally, saves on rope too....
  7. I think that just because this country chooses to discard it's heritage, principles and laws on an almost daily basis does not mean that we should challenge those that maintain their integrity. I applaud the Singaporean Govt and citizens for not allowing supposedly open thinking to ruin their country. Personally, if they brought it back in this country, I would apply for the job!
  8. There has been plenty of publicity over the years that there is death penalty in Singapore for smuggling drugs, yet he chose to take the risk. Now if gamble and lose then you must expect the worse.
  9. oh, Unlucky!

hopefully this evolutionary action will continue the culling of stupid people!
  10. Oh dear a drug smuggler is going to die, good, hope it's painful. Now lets have the same law here.
  11. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

When I used to fly into Singapore the landing card that you filled in on the plane had a printed warning about drug smuggling penalties clearly printed across it in red and black.

Before customs there were also bins in which you could place any contraband items.

With the exception of a rare but possible drugs plant there is no defence.

Hanging is gruesome but so is dying on a stained mattress with a needle in your arm.
  12. Like most of the rest who have posted say
    If you can't do the time, DON'T do the crime.

This man knew what he was doing, the Singaporean(?) law is well known, so who are we to argue against it?
  13. No, lets move on to Gary Feckin Glitter...

If you cant do the time, dont do the crime?

I've heard somewhere that Vietnam execute in public? Wonder if they can televise it live so there can be a big pub party, and sell it on video to raise hard currency? The Ultimate snuff video. (actually, maybe that comment belongs in the NAAFI)
    "Despite reports that the authorities were considering the abolition of the death penalty for economic crimes, two executions for fraud were reported. Some executions continued to take place in public, in front of hundreds of onlookers."
  14. It's all very well for two journos to be traumatised by the execution but they volunteered to be at it! Do the crime and pay the price - especially in countries who are hard on drug runners. Servants of the state do dirty jobs in order to protect our country and if you can't hack the method or end results don't look.

As for Gary Glitter, isn't it strange that Vietnam, without a shred of evidence against him is holding him for 4 months! And we were agonising about the human rights of alleged terrorists being held for 90 days in this country. As an email I had today said - 'they might not celebrate Christmas in Vietnam but this year they might be hanging glitter!'
  15. [quote='they might not celebrate Christmas in Vietnam but this year they might be hanging glitter!'[/quote]

Shooting more like. The Death Penalty there for raping kids of 12 (their Law states even if it is 'supposedly' consented that it is still rape and so it should be!) is by Firing Squad M'Lord...Poor Old Dirty Barsteward Glitter...he had a massive following in the 70's and many a Squaddie Fancy Dress Downtown night was the 'Glitter' Theme, or was that just me?! :roll: