• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The Death Penalty

Well I'm all for it as long as you can prove the murderer, rapist, kiddy fiddler or whatever is defiently guilty. A lot of people were put to death that were innocent, can't be having that it's not gentlemenly.

I support the death penalty as a means of justice but in a liberal society like the UK I can't see it being implemented. If I'm not mistaken, the entire Western world has outlawed the death penalty now, with the exception of the USA. But I don't understand why people keep trotting out this 'death penalty must be introduced' thing every time a little kid or police officer is killed. If you're going to have a death penalty then have one - for all murders (and - if I had my way - rapists, drug dealers and those convicted of treason too :twisted: ) and not just the ones that tug the heart strings in the media.

The problem I can see is that a jury may well not convict if they feel the death penalty will be imposed.

A couple of solutions;

1 - A proper life sentence in a fookin horrid prison, so they get a fine kicking everyday.

2 - Kill them before the trial.

CC_TA

I feel the 2nd option would benefit the country and the tax payers more!!!

Phil306 said:
http://edition.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/europe/11/19/uk.policeshooting.reut/index.html

Yes ladies and gentlemen, I agree: Its time the UK brings it back. There are just some people walking this earth, which don't deserve to be. Some people are just living wastes of oxygen and should be put out of their and, more importantly, OUR misery.

Thin The Herd
What about people wrongly found guilty?

I can't believe you are a cop...

Tricam.

Rowums said:
Well I'm all for it as long as you can prove the murderer, rapist, kiddy fiddler or whatever is defiently guilty. A lot of people were put to death that were innocent, can't be having that it's not gentlemenly.

I agree, we have come a long way with forensics , DNA etc, so if its a solid case of guilty then fry the scum........or teach them to become "Target moving left to right" followed by an ADT first aid lesson, then finish off with bayonet training..... I love concurrent activity!!!

"I can't believe you are a cop..."

Well, believe pal, I am. For 15 years. And, at least in this country, MOST cops think exactly like I do, in regards to the death penalty.

I will also agree with the others. The death penalty should be used for people where it is clear cut they did the crime. I can handle locking up for life the ones where it is "questionable."

As I said, there are just some people walking this earth, which shouldn't be...Total wastes of oxygen.

Phil306 said:

Well, believe pal, I am. For 15 years.
That's scary...

So what are you saying? Only use the death penalty where you have a watertight case, a confession plus forensic evidence?

Tricam.

tricam said:
Phil306 said:

That's scary...

So what are you saying? Only use the death penalty where you have a watertight case, a confession plus forensic evidence?

Tricam.
That's what I was saying.

Rowums said:
totally agreed!, I had this argument last week on a forum and I am praying the goverment does something about it.

Rowums said:
tricam said:
Phil306 said:

That's scary...

Tricam.
That's what I was saying.
How can you ever prove that beyond doubt?

What about cases such as the Birmingham-Six. We had forensic proof (explosive residues found on their hands if I recall) plus confessions. Then it turns out they were innocent. There have been lots of cases like this...

The British justice system is very good, but nothing is ever perfect. If you don't use the death penalty then at least you can go some way to rectifying mistakes.

Tricam

Phil306 said:

Well, believe pal, I am. For 15 years. And, at least in this country, MOST cops think exactly like I do, in regards to the death penalty.

I will also agree with the others. The death penalty should be used for people where it is clear cut they did the crime. I can handle locking up for life the ones where it is "questionable."

As I said, there are just some people walking this earth, which shouldn't be...Total wastes of oxygen.
If somebodies guilt is "questionable" should that not result in a failure to convict?
I thought that is what beyond reasonable doubt was all about.
Nor is DNA absolutely conclusive in many cases

Slightly_Nasty said:
"Nor is DNA absolutely conclusive in many cases"

In what cases would DNA proof not be absolutely conclusive? I can't think of any.
Well perhaps if your twin brother committed a crime and you were picked out from an ID parade :D

Slightly_Nasty said:
"Nor is DNA absolutely conclusive in many cases"

In what cases would DNA proof not be absolutely conclusive? I can't think of any.
Well I suppose DNA would only prove that you were there or had had contact with the victim and not necessarily guilty. On the other hand if it's a rape/murder and the DNA from the semen (hehe) contains the accused's DNA that's pretty conclusive.

P.s Let's not forget the O.J Simpson trial, there was DNA from one Mr Simpson but his lawyers had it thrown out of court as it was one of the first times DNA was used as evidence and was deemed to be too easy to contaminate. But the chances of that happening again are small.

Beat you to it Luke...

But just to add some meat to my last post...

DNA evidence is still vulnerable to human error in performing the tests. Consider this case http://www.scientific.org/archive/Sutton Press Release.htm . The link describes a rape case... the laboratory was using poor procedures, slightly misrepresenting their findings and an innocent man was sent to jail. A man who would be dead if rape was a capital crime...

Also, I don't have a link handy but I don't think DNA tests ever say anything with 100% confidence. Even when implemented correctly its still a case of being 99.9% or even 99.99% sure...

Tricam

Latest Threads