The death of SEME?

A little bird has just told me that on or around the 1st of July this year that SEME will become 10 Training Regiment.

We may not be moving anytime soon but things are certainly changing, other news from the school includes the rumour that only 5 more HND tiffy courses are to be loaded.

Any change at Arborfield? I believe tiffy Vehicles, Weapons and Land Systems are merging so it must have some knock on effect over there.

sniper_bob said:
Could it be a cunning plan to reduce the cost of DTR? less courses, fewer schoolies, lower charge from Metrix?
Well Phase 2 training will be getting cut soon too, sending half trained tradesmen through the sausage factory to learn the skills on the shopfloor.

It might work if we were not already so busy and undermanned. The experienced tradesmen are not always able to devote enough time to mentoring the class 3's that they deserve. This just results in some of them quickly finding themselves out of their depth through no fault of their own.

Is SEME still at Martinique and Savannah Barracks in Bordon, I remember when I was a kid flogging newspapers in the cookhouse. and around the accomodation blocks on a Sunday morning.

Dennis48 said:
Is SEME still at Martinique and Savannah Barracks in Bordon, I remember when I was a kid flogging newspapers in the cookhouse. and around the accomodation blocks on a Sunday morning.
Prince Philip Barracks, Bordon

Yep, SEAE will become 11 Bn? Training Regt? or whatever at the same time.

Personally I think its a shocking call. When you talk to civilian bodies of learning or buisness' they are left in no doubt as to what we do when we say we are instructor's at SEAE or SEME. They'll have no idea when we change name and guys in the Army will always think of it as the trade schools anyway.

Change for change sake. I wish I was a signwriter

Now I've been out for a while but why would they merge weapons, vehicles, and Land systems into one Tiffy qual, I am assuming Land systems are the electronic trades, If that is the case why not merge all tiffy trades into the one general artificer qualification.

Got to agree with Sparky at least SEAE and SEME do what they say on the tin

zippy483 said:
Now I've been out for a while but why would they merge weapons, vehicles, and Land systems into one Tiffy qual, I am assuming Land systems are the electronic trades, If that is the case why not merge all tiffy trades into the one general artificer qualification.

Got to agree with Sparky at least SEAE and SEME do what they say on the tin
The land side of things are losing the academic qualifications in favour of a shorter management course.

zippy483 said:
so what happens when "we" need subject matter experts, are they going to wheel out what was a class 1 ECE or the like, to do that job.
Shhhh! Don't mention things like that. Just nod and say "Yes Sir, thats a jolly good idea".

Why 10 anyway i would have thought seme and seae be 8 and 9 bn ? seen as we only have 1 to 7 already

Under current planning SEME Regt and SEAE Regt will be renamed as 10 and 11 Trg Bn REME, before the Corp Weekend. The titles of schools will stay as SEME and SEAE until the move to St Athan, when they will be absorbed into the new Defence Technical Training College. Under DTR planning there will be a single REME House that will do a similar job as SEME Regt and SEAE Regt currently do. The REME House will be 10 Trg Bn REME and will sit alongside the Royal Signals House (11 Sigs Regt). This is not a done deal yet.

Why 10 Bn? This leaves the scope to rename the Force Sp Bns to 8 and 9 Bns and there is historical precedence as 10 Trg Bn REME used to exist many moons ago.

bluebells said:
Why 10 Bn? This leaves the scope to rename the Force Sp Bns to 8 and 9 Bns and there is historical precedence as 10 Trg Bn REME used to exist many moons ago.
Wheel, re-invention.....sound familiar?

There are too many people getting paid too much money to sit on their backside dreaming up shite ideas on the "way forward". Some soldiers are living in diabolical standards of accommodation in both SEAE and SEME, money would be better thrown at this rather than paying for pointless name changes, signage....etc etc.

Still, I suppose it makes some people feel important about themselves.

Dennis48 said:
Iremember doing this as well. We used to filch them from outside the shop in liphook and sell 10p a throw around the spider blocks.

sparky8 said:
Yep, SEAE will become 11 Bn? Training Regt? or whatever at the same time.

Personally I think its a shocking call. When you talk to civilian bodies of learning or buisness' they are left in no doubt as to what we do when we say we are instructor's at SEAE or SEME. They'll have no idea when we change name and guys in the Army will always think of it as the trade schools anyway.

Change for change sake. I wish I was a signwriter
methilman said:
There are too many people getting paid too much money to sit on their backside dreaming up shite ideas on the "way forward". Some soldiers are living in diabolical standards of accommodation in both SEAE and SEME, money would be better thrown at this rather than paying for pointless name changes, signage....etc etc.
I absolutely agree with the sentiment of methilman's post. For too long the "moving in 5 years" line is trotted out as an excuse for worse than shoody standards of living accomodation, however I don't want to turn the thread too far down that particular rabbit hole so will leave it at that for now.

Sparky, I have to diagree with you on this issue, the units are there to train soldiers for the field force not to liase with civilian educational institutions. For that reason I believe that the name Trg Bn better reflects the purpose of the units as opposed to school.

Having made these two points I have to say that whether the changing of names is worth it comes down to one thing really:

Have the names been changed to signify a genuine change whereby soldiers will be better prepared for their role in the Field Force; or is the sum total of the change a couple of signs on the gates of Bordon and Arborfield designed to paper over the cracks?

If the former is the case then it is of course good news, if the latter is the case then the only value in changing the names is the fact that it has sparked a thread on arrse. (Although either way the name in itself is but a drop in the ocean compared to the quality of training occuring behind the wire.)

Hopefully the substance of the changes will shine through and all involved will herald the new dawn with open arms. :wink:

Alf, I have to deal with outside agencies quite a lot in the school. My point is that when you tell them that you are an instructor at the School of Electronic and Aeronautical Engineering, they quickly pick up that they are talking to someone technical (no jibes please - yes I know I wasnt the best on the shop floor!). It saves a lot of time and energy as SEAE and SEME are also recognised as being very good schools of learning.
Tell them you're 11 or 10 Trg Bn and Im not sure it will be that recognisible.
Just my take on it!

Sparky,

Both school titles will endure until the move to St Athan when they will be absorbed into the new Defence Technical Training College. So you will still be part of SEAE until the move. At St Athan, REME technical training delivery will be split between a Principles Stream and an Electro Mechanical Stream (EM). In SEAE terms Tech Br will be sucked into the Principles Stream and Land Systems into the EM Stream. The delivery of military training, duty of care and cap-badge ethos will be provided by a House structure. Rather than call this the REME House it will be 10 Trg Bn REME.

Alf,

‘Have the names been changed to signify a genuine change whereby soldiers will be better prepared for their role in the Field Force; or is the sum total of the change a couple of signs on the gates of Bordon and Arborfield designed to paper over the cracks?’

One of the catalysts for changing the names is in recognition that as from Apr this year there is more programmed military training in the SOTR that will be delivered during the basic courses. At SEAE this has gone from 10 days to 33 days. This mil trg will be delivered by the Trg Bns. There has already been a modest increase in staff at SEME to deliver BCCS and there is bid in the system for extra staff and resources for both Bns. So yes the aim is to better prepare soldiers for Ops.

The Comdt SEAE will be briefing the rationale for the changes at his end of term address next week.

Sparky,

I hadn't previously considered the issue that you raised, and the move to Wales will inevitably result in a certain loss of corporate identity with outside agencies and it will take time to rebuild that identity - perhaps a name change now will provide an intermediate step to soften that change but who knows?

I do believe that a move to a name that better reflects the purpose of the organisation would seem sensible especially in light of what blubells has posted.

Bluebells,

Thanks for that.

Perhaps you would be good enough to pass on any updates on this thread regarding this issue for those of us who are not directly involved but maintain a passing interest?

Cheers.

Good info thanks