The death knell for Garry Goretex?

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by msr, Aug 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

UK company Plasma Product Innovations (P2i) today demonstrated a chemical process it claims can render any material 100 per cent waterproof.

Grappling at an ungodly hour this morning with words like 'hydrophobic', 'nanotechnology' and 'submicroscopic-surface-enhancement', a small number of journalists were shown how a material normally very absorbent, such as household kitchen paper, can, if treated with P2i's ion-masking process, be submerged in a tank of water and be lifted out totally dry.

2. woah sounds good, as long as its breathable.
  3. Why not just dip all Toms in hot wax?, will have a similar effect and be just as comfy after a few hours tabbing or grafting. Gimme Goretex.
  4. I weep at my naivete when as a sprog I donned the adventure training pool overtrousers and kagoule to tab across Snowdonia, safe in the knowledge that it would keep me dry. Then in '82 the arctic waterproofs issued for the Falklands, that made the wearer smell like a bag of steamed vegetables, and at a similar temperature.

The proposed method may wateproof stiffs, bit if you generate any body heat forget it.
  5. I think the idea is sound in principle but by the time the Army gets hold of it the price would have increased tenfold and it would be obselete anyway.

Goretex till Endex!!
  6. msr

msr LE

You haven't bothered to read the article, have you?

Additionally, this treatment is permanent and doesn't eventually wear off like Scotchgard, P2i claimed.

7. DickWax, do away with condoms?
  8. Saw this demonstrated a few years back. I think they used a tie as the demonstration. Works pretty well and as it says in the tin lets rain roll off the garment yet it remains breathable.

9. Really? There's got to be some kind of performance loss elsewhere. I'm not mega convinced, especially as it refers to "Ion-mask surface-enhancement nanotechnology".

This seems to be the kind of thing that wearers of Hi-tec magnums would be impressed by.

Of course, if it is good, I'll take two gallons.
  10. Apparently so, but I cannot honestly say as I did not wear said tie and then go for a tab! I think it was initially developed as either an anti staining product, or possible an NBC counter. A few years back as I said.
  11. You can treat your gear with it and jump in a lake.....but the water will still get in down your neck and inside the sleeves, through the zip etc etc.

:roll: :roll: :roll:

Squaddies will still get wet no matter how good the kit claims to be.

12. If it does what it sez on the tin then... I'm in. I'm going to w/p everything, duvet covers, curtains, the dogs... ESPECIALLY the dogs!
  13. I'm gonna strip nekkid, cover myself in cam cream and then dip myself in this stuff.
  14. This has of course nothing to do with waterproofing, it is just the way BB always spends his weekends.

15. MrBane

MrBane War Hero Reviewer Reviews Editor

Easiest way to test the durability of this new technique is to make it useable by squaddies and give it a one month trial in service.
    Any faults in it, we'll find it. :D