'The Deafening Silence.' Downing of Viscount Hunyani 1978

Can anybody please provide me with a link to where I can download a Mp3 of 'The Deafening Silence', the sermon given by the Rev. Da Costa in the Anglican Cathedral, Salisbury, Rhodesia (As it was then), on the downing of the Viscount Hunyani in 1978.

I bought a 7" vinyl recording of it in Stops Camp, Bulawayo for Rh.$1 in 1978, but gave that away a long time ago after putting it on computer, but lost that on changing my computer a while back, and now would like to get hold of another recording. I know it is available in Mp3 form somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it,

Many thatns.

These people General - Rhodesia / Zimbabwe:BushveldNET* only have it in DVD/CD, but they may know someone who has it in MP3. Failing that, I assume that it's possible to copy one format to the other?

A while back I asked them a question about Grey's Scouts which had nothing to do with their stock, but they were quite helpful anyway. Simon Bolze is the chap to ask.

Edit; *it's the 18th item, about halfway down the page.

Thanks for an excellent suggestion Vastatio, which I will follow up.
'Bolze' eh ? Well, now, that's a well known Bulawayo name. Brought back some happy memories. Thanks.

I knew you would come up trumps as usual, and I found what I was looking for.
I want my local Vicar to hear it; he fires a black-powder musket from time to time, is a full bottle on his chosen field in military history, knows something of Zimbabwe. The sort of bloke who would have made a great Padre in any regiment, and gives a thundering good sermon, so I reckon he would like to hear this one.

My sincere thanks.

_Chimurenga_

LE
Gallery Guru
If you would like to really impress him, find him a copy of "Reflections of a God Botherer" by the Revd Bill Dodgen (pictured on right) who , as a Rhodesian Army chaplain, conducted one of the memorial services at the crash site of the first Viscount.

I didn't realise that they'd brought two down. I remember the first one well.

The second one,coming five months after the first and whilst the first tragic one was still big news, was simply blown out of the sky with no survivors, and there was not the savage murder of survivors as happened with the first, so although it was just as tragic it did not generate the same amount of publicity. Well, that's how I see it.

An odd coincidence, but I used to work with a Rhodesian lady - who I have no reason to disbelieve - who had worked for Rhodesian Special Branch (or its equivalent) during the Bush War. We were chatting about the war one day (she was talking, I was listening) and she mentioned the rage that erupted when the aircraft were shot down, and that the Security Forces made it their mission in life to track down the perpetrators.

She arrived at work one day to find the base commander standing at the gate and turning everyone away. On asking why, she was simply told that she had the day off. She learned later that the heroes responsible for one of the shoots had been caught, taken to the base, and were being 'questioned' with great diligence.

No witnesses were needed...

It should not be forgotten that Rhodesian passenger planes were the first to be used by terrorist elements to perpetrate terror on a nation, and that the lack of international outrage encouraged future terrorists into believing that similar attacks in other parts of the world would be tolerated. History shows that this was the beginning of a terrorist tactic that grew and grew as a form of warfare, as was seen among other attacks, the Lockerbie disaster and America's 911.
Hindsight shows that the Rhodesian Viscount disasters changed the course of history in the Southern African region. At the time of the first disaster when the Viscount Hunyani was brought down on 3 September 1978, Ian Smith had just returned from Zambia where he held secret talks with Joshua Nkomo to form an alliance to annihilate Robert Mugabe and his ZANLA forces. When Nkomo claimed responsibility and chortled over the tragedies in a live BBC interview, Rhodesian’s howled for revenge and Ian Smith had no option but to cease talks with Nkomo and to attack his terrorist bases in Zambia. Effectively, it ended an alliance that would have prevented Mugabe from winning war and post-war elections. What has become of the country since is clear evidence of what Rhodesians, both black and white, faced and fought against.
Google Flights RH825 and RH927 and see “Rhodesian Viscount Disasters” on Facebook. A DVD titled “Viscount Down” has just been released containing the “Deafening Silence” sermon as well as the Joshua Nkomo / BBC interview - details on Viscount Down: Home

Sorry - I quoted Flights RH 927 - should read Flights RH 827. BTW - those really responsible for both the massacre and missile launches didnt have the opportunity for verbal interviews (unfortunately) - but got to know all about 7.62 justice instead. Full details in forthcoming book 'Viscount Down".

I have recorded all terrorist and insurgent attacks against public transport systems (Aviation, Maritime, Railways and Land Transport) from the late 19th century to date and have extracted the following from my records about the above attacks. Please excuse me for any inaccuracies as I am not completely familiar with the geography of the former Rhodesia.

On 3rd September 1978, an Air Rhodesia Vickers Viscount 782D, registered as VP-WAS, and operating as Flight No 825, had taken off in the early afternoon on a scheduled service between Kariba and Salisbury with 51 passengers and 5 crew. Within minutes of take-off, whilst it was still climbing to reach its cruising height, it was struck in its right hand port engine by an SA-7A (Grail) MANPADS, fired by terrorists from Joshua Nkomo's Ziimbabwe Peoples Revolutionary Army (ZIPRA) The pilot struggled to effect an emergency crash landing, but 46 persons were killed. The remaining 10 survivors were subsequently murdered by ZIPRA.

On 12th February 1979, an Air Rhodesia Viickers Viscount 782D, registered as VP-YND, and operating as Flight No 827 between Victoria Falls and Salisbury, had just taken off from Kariba on the second stage of its journey, with 54 passengers and 5 crew, when it was struck almost simultaneously by 2 x SA-7A (Grail) MANPADS and crashed with the loss of all aboard some 30 miles east of Kariba. ZIPRA subsequently claimed responsibility by stating it was targetted because they believed General Peter Walls, Commander in Chief of the Rhodesian Armed Forces, was aboard - he wasn't !

I have recorded all terrorist and insurgent attacks against public transport systems (Aviation, Maritime, Railways and Land Transport) from the late 19th century to date and have extracted the following from my records about the above attacks. Please excuse me for any inaccuracies as I am not completely familiar with the geography of the former Rhodesia.

On 3rd September 1978, an Air Rhodesia Vickers Viscount 782D, registered as VP-WAS, and operating as Flight No 825, had taken off in the early afternoon on a scheduled service between Kariba and Salisbury with 51 passengers and 5 crew. Within minutes of take-off, whilst it was still climbing to reach its cruising height, it was struck in its right hand port engine by an SA-7A (Grail) MANPADS, fired by terrorists from Joshua Nkomo's Ziimbabwe Peoples Revolutionary Army (ZIPRA) The pilot struggled to effect an emergency crash landing, but 46 persons were killed. The remaining 10 survivors were subsequently murdered by ZIPRA.

On 12th February 1979, an Air Rhodesia Viickers Viscount 782D, registered as VP-YND, and operating as Flight No 827 between Victoria Falls and Salisbury, had just taken off from Kariba on the second stage of its journey, with 54 passengers and 5 crew, when it was struck almost simultaneously by 2 x SA-7A (Grail) MANPADS and crashed with the loss of all aboard some 30 miles east of Kariba. ZIPRA subsequently claimed responsibility by stating it was targetted because they believed General Peter Walls, Commander in Chief of the Rhodesian Armed Forces, was aboard - he wasn't !

I believe there were 8 survivors.
38 killed on landing, 10 shot or bayonetted after the crash, 3 who managed to hide and 5 who had left to seek help before the savages arrived to do the killing.

There are some inaccuracies in your summary. Flight RH825 took off from Kariba Airport at 17:05hs on 3rd September 1978. The aircraft was struck in the starboard wheel bay by a SAM7 missile, causing shrapnel to severly damage the inner starboard engine, wrecking all other controls to both starboard engines as well as rupturing the fuel lines. A massive fire that could not be put out raged in the badly damaged starboard wing that was in danger of exploding. The aircraft became very difficult to keep in the air and the aircraft had to be put down as quickly as possible. Jagman is correct, 38 killed in the crash landing, 10 shot and bayoneted to death, 3 managed to hide and 5 left the scene before the massacre began.

Flight RH 827 was only struck by 1 missile in the inner Port engine - all 59 passengers and crew killed.

All other detail in your records is correct.

Mabuno

I am extremely grateful for your clarification. My original information came from printed reports, including official reports from the International Civil Aviation Organisation and US Department of State during the early 1990s, when I was first tasked to carry out the project and prior to the wealth of information subsequently posted on the Internet. Much of this reporting, therefore, was basic and some figures given may be inaccurate. All please accept my apologies for any inaccuracies.

However, Wikipedia reports that the pilot, Captain John Hood, sent a distress message at 1710 hours informing Air Traffic Control that he had lost both starboard engines and was going to crash. Passengers had reported hearing a loud explosion in a starboard engine which subsequently ruptured fuel and pressurised hydraulic lines. The pilots attempted to belly land the aircraft in a cotton field near Karoi in the Whamira Hills. The eighteen survivors were seated in the rear of the aircraft and as you and Jagman have said, five went in search of rescue only to return as the ZIPRA terrorists (sorry, I can't call them Freedom Fighters) were slaughtering 10 survivors. The three others who managed to avoid the slaughter were aided by the early onset of darkness.

Greetings Highlander,

It is a pleasure to assist with technical information, and it is correct that Captain Hood sent a distress message at 17:10 - he had only just taken off from Kariba a few minutes before. The ballistic finding was that the missile struck the inner starboard engine, but in a subsequent inspection by crash site investigators, the missile tailpiece was located inside the starboard wheel bay indicating that was where the warhead exploded before sending shrapnel into the nearest engine and rupturing pressurised fuel and hydraulic lines.

You may be interested in the full history of Nkomo's terrorist campaign to bring down civilian airliners with missiles - if so you are welcome to contact me.