'The Deafening Silence.' Downing of Viscount Hunyani 1978

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by heythrop, Dec 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Can anybody please provide me with a link to where I can download a Mp3 of 'The Deafening Silence', the sermon given by the Rev. Da Costa in the Anglican Cathedral, Salisbury, Rhodesia (As it was then), on the downing of the Viscount Hunyani in 1978.

I bought a 7" vinyl recording of it in Stops Camp, Bulawayo for Rh.$1 in 1978, but gave that away a long time ago after putting it on computer, but lost that on changing my computer a while back, and now would like to get hold of another recording. I know it is available in Mp3 form somewhere on the internet, but I can't find it,

Many thatns.

• Like Like x 1
  2. These people General - Rhodesia / Zimbabwe:BushveldNET* only have it in DVD/CD, but they may know someone who has it in MP3. Failing that, I assume that it's possible to copy one format to the other?

A while back I asked them a question about Grey's Scouts which had nothing to do with their stock, but they were quite helpful anyway. Simon Bolze is the chap to ask.

Edit; *it's the 18th item, about halfway down the page.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Thanks for an excellent suggestion Vastatio, which I will follow up.
    'Bolze' eh ? Well, now, that's a well known Bulawayo name. Brought back some happy memories. Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  4. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Mason Cranswick's book "Blood Lilly" though a novel, covers this event very well IMHO

• Like Like x 1
  5. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

• Like Like x 1
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I knew you would come up trumps as usual, and I found what I was looking for.
    I want my local Vicar to hear it; he fires a black-powder musket from time to time, is a full bottle on his chosen field in military history, knows something of Zimbabwe. The sort of bloke who would have made a great Padre in any regiment, and gives a thundering good sermon, so I reckon he would like to hear this one.

My sincere thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  7. _Chimurenga_

_Chimurenga_ LE Gallery Guru

If you would like to really impress him, find him a copy of "Reflections of a God Botherer" by the Revd Bill Dodgen (pictured on right) who , as a Rhodesian Army chaplain, conducted one of the memorial services at the crash site of the first Viscount.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  8. Powerful speech

• Like Like x 1
  9. I didn't realise that they'd brought two down. I remember the first one well.

• Like Like x 1
  10. The second one,coming five months after the first and whilst the first tragic one was still big news, was simply blown out of the sky with no survivors, and there was not the savage murder of survivors as happened with the first, so although it was just as tragic it did not generate the same amount of publicity. Well, that's how I see it.

• Like Like x 1
  11. An odd coincidence, but I used to work with a Rhodesian lady - who I have no reason to disbelieve - who had worked for Rhodesian Special Branch (or its equivalent) during the Bush War. We were chatting about the war one day (she was talking, I was listening) and she mentioned the rage that erupted when the aircraft were shot down, and that the Security Forces made it their mission in life to track down the perpetrators.

She arrived at work one day to find the base commander standing at the gate and turning everyone away. On asking why, she was simply told that she had the day off. She learned later that the heroes responsible for one of the shoots had been caught, taken to the base, and were being 'questioned' with great diligence.

No witnesses were needed...

• Like Like x 2
  12. It should not be forgotten that Rhodesian passenger planes were the first to be used by terrorist elements to perpetrate terror on a nation, and that the lack of international outrage encouraged future terrorists into believing that similar attacks in other parts of the world would be tolerated. History shows that this was the beginning of a terrorist tactic that grew and grew as a form of warfare, as was seen among other attacks, the Lockerbie disaster and America's 911.
    Hindsight shows that the Rhodesian Viscount disasters changed the course of history in the Southern African region. At the time of the first disaster when the Viscount Hunyani was brought down on 3 September 1978, Ian Smith had just returned from Zambia where he held secret talks with Joshua Nkomo to form an alliance to annihilate Robert Mugabe and his ZANLA forces. When Nkomo claimed responsibility and chortled over the tragedies in a live BBC interview, Rhodesian’s howled for revenge and Ian Smith had no option but to cease talks with Nkomo and to attack his terrorist bases in Zambia. Effectively, it ended an alliance that would have prevented Mugabe from winning war and post-war elections. What has become of the country since is clear evidence of what Rhodesians, both black and white, faced and fought against.
    Google Flights RH825 and RH927 and see “Rhodesian Viscount Disasters” on Facebook. A DVD titled “Viscount Down” has just been released containing the “Deafening Silence” sermon as well as the Joshua Nkomo / BBC interview - details on Viscount Down: Home

• Like Like x 1
  13. Thanks for that Mabuno; you introduce a very interesting train of thought I had not known of before.
    Regards.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Sorry - I quoted Flights RH 927 - should read Flights RH 827. BTW - those really responsible for both the massacre and missile launches didnt have the opportunity for verbal interviews (unfortunately) - but got to know all about 7.62 justice instead. Full details in forthcoming book 'Viscount Down".

• Like Like x 1