The day I lost a child on the Tube

Genius little story on the days you could lose children on the underground and you weren't sued or sacked:

"Back at school I get a phone call from the station manager there saying to me "I've got four of your girls here… what do you want me to do with them?" So I send a teacher out in a taxi to bring them back. There was no harm done. But the next day I get those 24 kids together and I ask them: "How many of you have been on the London Underground before?" Out of 24 Hackney born and bred kids, only eight had ever previously been on the tube."

The day I lost a child on the Tube | Teacher Network Blog | Guardian Professional

Genius little story on the days you could lose children on the underground and you weren't sued or sacked:

"Back at school I get a phone call from the station manager there saying to me "I've got four of your girls here… what do you want me to do with them?" So I send a teacher out in a taxi to bring them back. There was no harm done. But the next day I get those 24 kids together and I ask them: "How many of you have been on the London Underground before?" Out of 24 Hackney born and bred kids, only eight had ever previously been on the tube."

The day I lost a child on the Tube | Teacher Network Blog | Guardian Professional
My sister was stood outside a shop in Guildford when the shop keeper came out with a young girl in tow and asked her is the child was hers. My sister said no but could see that the child was a bit distressed (she was about 5-6). She asked her where she had last seen Mummy and the girl mentioned a shop which was quite some way away. Sis and her husband took the little girl back to shop and arrived there to see a very upset Mum and a PCNO stood outside the shop. Mum was ever so grateful until the little girl said "Mummy, this woman tried to take me away". PCSO then detained my sister until a police officer could be summoned then they all went back to the shop that the little girl had originally been in for the shop keeper to confirm what had happened!

I cannot.However a Mod may be along soon and place it, with great care and tenderness, into the arrsehole, where to be totally honest it actually belongs.

Isn't it amazing that everyone believed the kid's word against that of your sister, despite the circumstances- ie of the 'abductors' returning to, instead of fleeing from, the scene of the 'crime'?

I cannot.However a Mod may be along soon and place it, with great care and tenderness, into the arrsehole, where to be totally honest it actually belongs.
Bit harsh mate, long day? Although I'm sure there's a thread knocking about along similar 'Would you help a lost child?' lines.

Pointless contribution. Article is fine. Stop spamming.

What we really, really need is a section called "stuff people might like to discuss that doesn't fit anywhere else".

So did the kid get roasted and eaten in the end or not?

In those days, getting there from Hackney in east London involved a bus ride to Kings Cross Underground station followed by a tube ride to South Kensington.
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/assets/downloads/standard-tube-map.pdf
No wonder he lost a child if he didn't realise that the best way, even twenty years ago is to get a bus to Mile End, Bethnal Green etc then get the District Line all the way to South Kensington. I call tube walt!

Shut up, you misery. It was worth it for this bit;

"I will never forget her face.

It's a bit like that painting by Munch - you know the one - it's called "The Scream". Only this time it's with a black girl wearing horn-rimmed glasses and her face is pressed against the door of the tube train as it passes me.

Now… just pause for a minute and think how the other kids reacted to this?

Maybe with horror? Shock? Panic? Perhaps even a little nervous laughter? Well, if you think laughter, you're only half right.

It was raucous, uncontrolled hilarity."

I'm still smirking.

Latest Threads