The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson

Discussion in 'US' started by alib, Oct 21, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. On the Smithsonian The Dark Side of Thomas Jefferson
    My bold, not so curious I recall reading George Washington had a recaptured slave's big toes amputated to stop him making another dash for it. He was regarded as a peculiarly brutal slave holder by his peers, yet he freed his human property on his death bed, perhaps in consciousness of a profitable but [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]unsightly[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif] stain on his reputation. Great men do worry on such things. [/FONT]

[FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]Jefferson was more a creature of the enlightenment by any standards but also a gentleman planter of his times. He sometimes has been depicted as a model slaveholder and he was certainly better than most. Much has been made of the idea that he fathered children by his slave Sally Hemmings.[/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]

The long article above is worth reading in full. I found the above passage dispiriting. The sad thing is about this great and eloquent prophet of universal human freedom that it all seems in practice to have rather secondary to the 4% PA profit simply on the births of his slave children which allowed him to keep himself in fine style in his hill top mansion.
    [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif] [/FONT][FONT=Georgia, Times New Roman, serif]

"
    [/FONT]How is it that we hear the loudest yelps for liberty among the drivers of negroes?"
    Dr Samuel Johnson

• Like Like x 1
  2. Freedom and liberty........ but only for those like us. I found the whole article to be quite saddening really. Smithsonian does a good job of making people aware of obscure and easily hidden facets of history