The Dark Art of Oven Pulled Pork

Does sweet & sour sauce actually exist outside of western takeaways?

I got my taste for it in Singapore at the local choggie down the road where the locals used to go and eat.

For general info: The best Choggie I went to outside of SE Asia was in Roermond, just on the other side of the market square from the town centre.

In the UK find yourself a Chinatown area and watch on a sunday where the Chinese go for their family lunch. Those are the places.

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs
I got my taste for it in Singapore at the local choggie down the road where the locals used to go and eat.

For general info: The best Choggie I went to outside of SE Asia was in Roermond, just on the other side of the market square from the town centre.

In the UK find yourself a Chinatown area and watch on a sunday where the Chinese go for their family lunch. Those are the places.

You know, i once heard gales of laughter from a chink for just that.

Watch where an American goes, he guffawed, and you'll end up in McDonalds. Chinese people are no better.

You know, i once heard gales of laughter from a chink for just that.

Watch where an American goes, he guffawed, and you'll end up in McDonalds. Chinese people are no better.

It depends who you follow. I had a choggie mate at uni in Leeds who gave me the tip, his dad owned a half dozen take-aways and a choggie supermarket, or two.

At the end of the day though if it is good enough for the ethnic choggies then it must be close to the real thing. It is like Texarrse, Mickey D's are around, they are cheap and cheerful, for local loyalty people go to Whataburger, and for nice they go to In n' Out Burger, for better they go to Maple & Motor Burgers...........avoid 5 Guys.

It depends who you follow. I had a choggie mate at uni in Leeds who gave me the tip, his dad owned a half dozen take-aways and a choggie supermarket, or two.

At the end of the day though if it is good enough for the ethnic choggies then it must be close to the real thing. It is like Texarrse, Mickey D's are around, they are cheap and cheerful, for local loyalty people go to Whataburger, and for nice they go to In n' Out Burger, for better they go to Maple & Motor Burgers...........avoid 5 Guys.

Really?

1. In 'n Out - unless you want fries, in which case it's Five Guys.
2. Five Guys
3= Whataburger
3= McDonalds.
5=Burger King
5=A&W
6 Dairy Queen

Never tried Maple & Motor.

It looks like I live in burger joints, but in reality I only ever go to Five Guys or In 'n Out, but I 'n O are geographically sparsely available. I quite fancy a plate of Five Guys fries now!

Drivers_lag

On ROPS
On ROPs

I'm just telling you what the man said.

I make no comment on its validity.

I'm not really a fan of the ole Chinese. There's nice stuff out there but so much shite and stodge that it got more bother than it was worth, trying to sort the wheat from the chaff.

Same in burnley... You'd think with all the pakis, a good curry would be easy come by.. Not so. I almost gave up until i saw a bloke working his arse off with a few chefs as i was walking by. I asked him if it was his business.

'yes, what can i get you?' he asked with a tired smile. So i gave him a shot and he was very very good.

Really?

2. Five Guys
3= Whataburger
3= McDonalds.
5=Burger King
5=A&W
6 Dairy Queen

It looks like I live in burger joints, but in reality I only ever go to Five Guys or In 'n Out, but I 'n O are geographically sparsely available. I quite fancy a plate of Five Guys fries now!

Really what? Same as my list apart from 5 Guys. I have had bad experiences with 5 Guys in 3 around Philly and one in Texas, staff just could'nt give a toss. The local in Florida was top notch though. I'll give you that they pile on the chip's and they provide English malt vinegar, but I don't like my food to be served up by someone who has just been mopping the floor, emptying the bins or scratching his arrse.

BK is interchangeable with Mickey's ..... for me they nose ahead a little because they do onion rings.

A&W, again it depends where. I have seen some real dive's and some good one's, but I like their root beer.

Dairy Queen, never tried one.

Red Robin is good for a sit down, with knives and forks burger, head and shoulders above drive thru fast food places.

Fudrucker's I like, also not a drive through fast food place.

Johnny Rockets is a bit of a chain, their growth was stunted because of some corporate problems, but they are also a sit down and not drive thru place.

If any of yooz ever go to Lalaland the place to go in LA is 'The Apple Pan'. It has been around for eon's, is run by an old lady, and regularly frequented by the movie glitteratti. She has had silly money offers over the years to take the place over, buy the name and she turns them all down. She may be brownbread now, it has been a while since I passed through the doors. But go and have a burger and chips followed by a fresh made apple pie slice.

cb643a9c40081395c1b3af4778e84b6c.jpg

20090224_applepan.jpg

Maple & Motor is just north of Dallas city centre, run by an ex-teacher. It is a one off and he is a bit of a local secret ....... he is a bit like the Apple Pan.

Note: I do not live on burgers, if I have one a month I am being spoiled.

Really?

2. Five Guys
3= Whataburger
3= McDonalds.
5=Burger King
5=A&W
6 Dairy Queen

Dunno about the States, but in Canada A&W is head and shoulders above Burger King, Rotten Ronnie, and Dairy Queen. A double Teen Burger is the mutts nuts in my opinion.
The best has to be The White Spot though, I've been a Triple O sauce junkie all my life.

I know the place well, when I was based at Javelin Barracks my wife and I would go there about once a fortnight.

Troop "do's" weren't too popular there though.

Really what? Same as my list apart from 5 Guys. I have had bad experiences with 5 Guys in 3 around Philly and one in Texas, staff just could'nt give a toss. The local in Florida was top notch though. I'll give you that they pile on the chip's and they provide English malt vinegar, but I don't like my food to be served up by someone who has just been mopping the floor, emptying the bins or scratching his arrse.

BK is interchangeable with Mickey's ..... for me they nose ahead a little because they do onion rings.

A&W, again it depends where. I have seen some real dive's and some good one's, but I like their root beer.

Dairy Queen, never tried one.

Red Robin is good for a sit down, with knives and forks burger, head and shoulders above drive thru fast food places.

Fudrucker's I like, also not a drive through fast food place.

Johnny Rockets is a bit of a chain, their growth was stunted because of some corporate problems, but they are also a sit down and not drive thru place.

If any of yooz ever go to Lalaland the place to go in LA is 'The Apple Pan'. It has been around for eon's, is run by an old lady, and regularly frequented by the movie glitteratti. She has had silly money offers over the years to take the place over, buy the name and she turns them all down. She may be brownbread now, it has been a while since I passed through the doors. But go and have a burger and chips followed by a fresh made apple pie slice.

cb643a9c40081395c1b3af4778e84b6c.jpg

20090224_applepan.jpg

Maple & Motor is just north of Dallas city centre, run by an ex-teacher. It is a one off and he is a bit of a local secret ....... he is a bit like the Apple Pan.

Note: I do not live on burgers, if I have one a month I am being spoiled.

I tried Dairy Queen in one of the emirates- can't remember which one. It was shite but it filled the post pissup gap enroute back to the dockyard.

I quite liked the Dairy Queen ice cream when I was at MCAS Cherry Point; never tried their burgers. That was also my first taste of Subway - and my last, such was the violence of the D&V that followed.

Fuktifino

War Hero
Every american recipe has a tin of soup added also, no idea why.
Cheese! You've forgotten that they cover everything with crappy American cheese!

THE best BBQ sauce I ever tasted was made by an Army chef - he refused to divulge his secret recipe, despite bribe offer of huge quantities of beer and several fat women.
He prolly dropped fag ash in it - our cook in 583 EOD used to (and he aded to contents of the teapot to a stew once).

And the best come back line from a grubby Jock Lance-jack cook came when someone asked him how the hell he had managed to screw up a compo Irish stew, to which he replied "Ach it wiz nae bother".

I tried making Vietnamese pulled pork once, but I don't like 5 spice that much and the recipe called for a lot of it. What came out of the oven was OK, but not as good as any of the restaurants here can manage.

Fook me sideways! That is one shitload of sugar. Watched a couple of the Yank cooking shows and they seem to wallow in the stuff. Chuck it in everything.

TBH, I prefer meat to be more savoury than sweet. Handful of that pork on a roll with a smear of mustard and a dollop of fried sauerkraut mit zwiebel would do me.

Fook me sideways! That is one shitload of sugar. Watched a couple of the Yank cooking shows and they seem to wallow in the stuff. Chuck it in everything.

TBH, I prefer meat to be more savoury than sweet. Handful of that pork on a roll with a smear of mustard and a dollop of fried sauerkraut mit zwiebel would do me.
Add some gently fried knoblauch and ... perfection.

That'll do it. Slow roast the pork on low heat for six or eight hours as described by the OP, but no rub. Just salt and pepper, sprig or two of rosemary, loads of garlic and some sage. Lose the root beer and substitute a pale ale with a little stock. Once the piggy has been removed for shredding, dump the herbs and blitz the onions with the stock to make a gravy base. Spoon of that in the kraut while frying and a good splash over the roasted spuds on the side.

Fill a baguette with pig, mustard and fried kraut, shove a load of chips or roasted spuds on the side, bit of gravy and stand well back to avoid losing extremities to my rapidly moving dinner manglers.

That'll do it. Slow roast the pork on low heat for six or eight hours as described by the OP, but no rub. Just salt and pepper, sprig or two of rosemary, loads of garlic and some sage. Lose the root beer and substitute a pale ale with a little stock. Once the piggy has been removed for shredding, dump the herbs and blitz the onions with the stock to make a gravy base. Spoon of that in the kraut while frying and a good splash over the roasted spuds on the side.

Fill a baguette with pig, mustard and fried kraut, shove a load of chips or roasted spuds on the side, bit of gravy and stand well back to avoid losing extremities to my rapidly moving dinner manglers.
Pure poetry!

Just noticed this, sorry.

Not really that much sugar, I prefer spicy to sweet when eating meat. This was a big lump of meat and probably had 2, maybe 3 ounces of sugar. The sugars main job is to caramelise, get cripy and create more bark.

I have some ribs pics to upload for a thread on oven made ribs. Flat out with a painful L5 at the moment so when that has passed I shall get to the sit down PC and post the pics.

Shouldn't the bark develop naturally instead of as a crust of burned sugar? Best part of a spit braaied lamb is standing around the grill with a beer picking off all the crispy bits while shooting the shit with your mates. No sugar there except a tiny bit in the balsamic, rosemary and red wine marinade which gets splashed on occasionally from where it pools in the drip trays and flavours the onions and potatoes.

Shouldn't the bark develop naturally instead of as a crust of burned sugar? Best part of a spit braaied lamb is standing around the grill with a beer picking off all the crispy bits while shooting the shit with your mates. No sugar there except a tiny bit in the balsamic, rosemary and red wine marinade which gets splashed on occasionally from where it pools in the drip trays and flavours the onions and potatoes.

The septic trick with bark production is to cover/spread the top of the meat with sweet mustard. Then they put on the seasoning, as cooking goes on put on some sugar or honey. Had some ribs at a place one time and he had so much honey on them during cooking they were just about caramelised.........kids loved them but too much for me.