The Dark Art of Oven Done Ribs

Following on from the pulled pork recipe here is a way of doing tasty, meat falling off the bone, ribs in the oven, year around, without a bbq, or smoker.

First get a pig and a knife, kill the pig.................

You will need:

Ribs
cider vinegar
olive oil
foil

For the dry rub:
salt
pepper
paprika
chilli powder (optional)

For the later slathering sauce:

I mess with different mixes sticking with the apple mush, cider vinegar, ketchup, bbq sauce as a base for ribs. Whatever works for you, but it needs to be a ketchupy like consistency to stick to the meat.

Punnet or two of apple mush
cider vinegar
ketchup
bbq sauce
worcestershire sauce
garlic powder
honey
I have used apple juice and pineapple juice previously, just play with it, have a go.

1. Prep the ribs. Try and get some with minimal fat on them to start with.
On the back of the ribs is a membrane, get a knife under the edge then work it till there is enough to grab with a tissue - trust me you need a tissue to grab it - then hoik it off, in one preferably.

Then if there are any flappy, non aerodynamic bits remove them as they will generally only end up as charcoal anyway.

2. Make your dry rub. Keeping it basic because this is about slow cooking and building layers of flavour.

Equal parts salt and pepper, Texas style, then play with it and modify it this time adding some paprika and chilli.

3. Brush the ribs with olive oil, front and back, then cover with dry rub.

4. Place on a rack and put into a pre-heated oven - 235 - 245 F works in my fan assist oven. Put a tray/oven dish with water in the bottom of the oven to help retain moisture.

5. Using the secrets passed down by the grand masters of bbq I put some cider vinegar in a spray/atomiser squirter thing and spray the ribs every 40 minutes lightly through the whole 4 hour process.

Other than that leave the ribs doing for around 2 hours.

Then......

6. Mix up the wet part of the basting, flavouring process. No hard and fast rules, just play and get your own flavour going. Missed the apple mush from the picture.

7. Get out some foil, two layers big enough to cover the ribs. Spread some sauce/wet mix on the bottom to soak into the back of the ribs.

Brush some mix onto the back of the ribs and place on the foil, then brush the top of the ribs with mix.

Fold it up , sealing it and then put it back in the oven. If you had your temp on 235F then now put it up to 245F.

This foil wrapping technique is called "The Texas Crutch". It helps to tenderise the meat and cook off more fat out of the meat.

8. After 30 to 40 Mins whip it out of the oven. The longer you leave it the more tender the meat will get and it will seriously just fall off the bone too much so. It needs to be biteable, but tender. The Texas crutch part is the bit I find most problematic, I am down to 30 mins now in my oven after starting at an hour and finding that a toothless old crone could have sucked up the meat.

Anyway, this is what it looks like after cooking off some more fat.

POINTS TO NOTE: See the way the meat has pulled back up the bones. This is what you are looking for.

9. Put the ribs back on the rack, squirt with cider vinegar, slather with sauce mix and put back in oven for the remaining balance of 4 hours.

10. Don't forget to spray every 40 mins with cider vinegar, keep your eye on the ribs to make sure they are not burning, you can even put another layer of sauce mix on them. Totally up to you.

Last edited:
At the 4 hour point, or close to it get them out.

A good test is that you should be able to pick up a rack of ribs in the middle, they should bend, but not break. Doesn't matter if they do break though as they still taste yummily, and it takes a few attempts to get to grips with your oven the timings and temperatures.........apart from that practicing is a good excuse to make more ribs;).

Right then, once they are out you can cut into individual ribs, or half racks for people to get messy for themselves.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
Smoked ribs from the butcher. Boil in beer, apple cider vinegar, bay leaves, water, salt, peppercorns and mustard seeds for 40 odd minutes then into roasting dish on a bed of sliced onions with barbecue sauce and a drop of red wine. Bake in oven at 140C for around two to three hours with a bacofoil cover, removing foil for the last 20 minutes and turning up the heat to max for the last ten.

Alternatively, once boiled just drop on the braai with bbq sauce/red wine/garlic/olive oil/lime juice basting sauce.

Reduce the boiling liquid and freeze as stock for later use.

Looks like ribs and special recipes seem a speciality for Arrse members.
For mine, I boil the ribs first for about 40 minutes to tenderise them (unless you can get baby back ribs which seems quite a difficult thing to do).
I then use one of those electric frying pan/slow cooker.
Put a nob of butter about 2 inch by 2 inch in the pan and enough brown sugar to soak up the butter.
Put the ribs in and glaze them in the butter and sugar until a light brown.
Add an onion and some garlic (about 3 or 4 cloves).
Tomato puree, enough to spread thinly over the whole of the ribs.
Add 3 parts white wine vinegar and 5 parts dark Soy sauce. Mix it all in.
Add a couple of teaspoons of English mustard powder.
Sprinkle oregano all over the top of the mixture.
Turn the electric frying pan down to low (number 1) and leave for about 1 and a half hours (it heats up and simmers). Baste the rack of ribs regularly.
Well, that's my bit done.

Way, way too complicated ...

Crushed tomato, honey, tabasco - it'll be fine.

I add various spices, balsamic vinegar and the stuff that the Yanks just don't grok - Worcestershire sauce. But that's icing the cake.

Anyway (added) - wtf is this about Kosher salt?

How topical. Look what I've got smoking :)

IMG_4716.JPG

Random question for @Effendi - where did you get that Paprika? The logo looks like Giant, which AFAIK is a loong way from TX! Have you moved?

I add various spices, balsamic vinegar and the stuff that the Yanks just don't grok - Worcestershire sauce. But that's icing the cake.

Aueee Vay, all the best slop jockeys use kosher salt.

Worcestershire sauce is quite popular in't US.

Worcestershire sauce is not a rare thing at all in the US. Several different brands, I mostly get Lea & Perrin's.

Kosher salt has a different grain to it than table salt, much more coarse/larger granules.

How topical. Look what I've got smoking :)

View attachment 288851

Random question for @Effendi - where did you get that Paprika? The logo looks like Giant, which AFAIK is a loong way from TX! Have you moved?
It was probably a leftover pot, I have stashes of 'erbs and spices I keep stumbling across. I have a huge catering pot of paprika now from Kroger.

Moving again soon though, 50 miles across to the other side of DFW - killer commute.

Worcestershire sauce is not a rare thing at all in the US. Several different brands, I mostly get Lea & Perrin's.

Kosher salt has a different grain to it than table salt, much more coarse/larger granules.

Is kosher salt not the local US un-iodised/Maldon salt?

Cheapest way to get the same thing here is to buy a 25kg sack of pool salt from the outdoor stores.

Is kosher salt not the local US un-iodised/Maldon salt?

Cheapest way to get the same thing here is to buy a 25kg sack of pool salt from the outdoor stores.
It's not as coarse as that. I think someone asked this before and I posted a pic of the two, probably in the Tonight I Cooked thread. Hang on, I'll have a squiz and see if I can find it.

Apols. Missed that.

OTOH, I clearly need to go and get my local Rabbi to bless my Skye Salt ...

They have Hendersons relish - its very similar and most stores sell Worcestershire sauce, even if no one has a scooby how to pronounce it.

Kosher Salt? Pork Ribs? What sort of crazy Red Sea Pedestrian are you?

Food looks delicious mind, I just wish I had the patience for it. I love food, but when I'm preparing it, I can't leave it alone. I'll have to train the wife up.

Kosher Salt? Pork Ribs? What sort of crazy Red Sea Pedestrian are you?

Food looks delicious mind, I just wish I had the patience for it. I love food, but when I'm preparing it, I can't leave it alone. I'll have to train the wife up.
What do they call it,.........white beef, something like that.

Funnily, I knew a Jewish bloke and a Hindu lady, both forbidden to eat pork, or meat in her case, they both used to love bacon butties.

At the 4 hour point, or close to it get them out.

A good test is that you should be able to pick up a rack of ribs in the middle, they should bend, but not break. Doesn't matter if they do break though as they still taste yummily, and it takes a few attempts to get to grips with your oven the timings and temperatures.........apart from that practicing is a good excuse to make more ribs;).

Right then, once they are out you can cut into individual ribs, or half racks for people to get messy for themselves.

Enjoy!
We don't live in the dark ages people
Traeger Wood Pellet Grills & BBQ Smokers | Traeger Wood Fire Grills
Buy ribs, rub stuff on there is usually a rub in the pantry, throw ribs in Traeger, drink beer, fart, eat yourself sober.

Latest Threads