Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The dangerous, divisive effect of being offended

CABDC89F-81D6-404D-8B5D-3D22BA009336.jpeg

I believe that you considered my post “not easy to read”...

Daz

LE
Absolutely no way the gay couple were looking for an argument since I presume there was no other cakey-bakey firm in town.
They were aiming to bring a test case under NI's Equality Act and Fair Employment and Treatment Order, their stance was originally supported by Peter Tatchell amongst others, however, Peter Tatchell changed his stance after the original conviction & prior to the Bakers appeal going to count. This was on the grounds of defending the freedom of conscience, expression and religion, even while disagreeing with the Bakers refusal/discrimination in the first place.

His article from the Guardian explaining this, can be found here I’ve changed my mind on the gay cake row. Here’s why | Peter Tatchell | Opinion | The Guardian

This.
Every day of the week.
'I find that offensive!'

'So f*****g what?'
My normal rejoinder is “I haven’t ******* started yet!”
Last used when talking to my neighbours. Then they called the police. Bit of an odd one to push for the ASBO, as I explained to the PCSO allocated to rein me in.
Apparently me letting an expletive go makes some upset. cnuts.

My normal rejoinder is “I haven’t ******* started yet!”
Last used when talking to my neighbours. Then they called the police. Bit of an odd one to push for the ASBO, as I explained to the PCSO allocated to rein me in.
Apparently me letting an expletive go makes some upset. cnut
Once upon a time, and not all that long ago, if somebody called the police and reported somebody for swearing, the desk sergeant would have told them to f**k off.

I seem to remember it wasn't the gay bit that bothered them, they had baked cakes for gay couples before. What they were objecting too was the marriage bit. Believing that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I bet they're speciesist's as well, I bet they don't believe in marrying your sheep

The Cymrophobes

Once upon a time, and not all that long ago, if somebody called the police and reported somebody for swearing, the desk sergeant would have told them to f**k off.
It’s a long story, but my neighbour‘s fire has been leaking smoke and fumes into my house. Recently, he told me he was putting it on, and to come round if there were any problems. It leaked, and I popped round. Some words were exchanged and I requested they sort it out.
Her next door had an epic benny and I had to have a chat with the local fuzz. All rather tawdry and a massive waste of police time.
There wasn’t even that much ******* swearing.

I seem to remember it wasn't the gay bit that bothered them, they had baked cakes for gay couples before. What they were objecting too was the marriage bit. Believing that marriage is between a man and a woman.

I believe the specific objection was decorating the cake with the message they wanted. Apparently they suggested other cake decorating people who would do the job.

I believe the specific objection was decorating the cake with the message they wanted. Apparently they suggested other cake decorating people who would do the job.
So. They would mix the cake, bake it, ice it but they baulked at the wording?
So they want 80% of the cash, but their consciences can’t do the last bit? Hilarious. I know it’s an old case, but there’s the hypocrisy of religion right there.

It’s a long story, but my neighbour‘s fire has been leaking smoke and fumes into my house. Recently, he told me he was putting it on, and to come round if there were any problems. It leaked, and I popped round. Some words were exchanged and I requested they sort it out.
Her next door had an epic benny and I had to have a chat with the local fuzz. All rather tawdry and a massive waste of police time.
There wasn’t even that much ******* swearing.
If their fire is causing you problems then they should get it sorted, not throw a track just because you went round.
I could get some of the old D squadron lads together and we can all pop round to theirs and tell them to f**k off in unison.

If you think that might help.

If their fire is causing you problems then they should get it sorted, not throw a track just because you went round.
I could get some of the old D squadron lads together and we can all pop round to theirs and tell them to f**k off in unison.

If you think that might help.
Ta mate, you’re alright.
We actually got their stove installer round yesterday and I think he was shocked at the smoke in our house. So we made a friend there. Despite my calls to him previously, he is now on our side.
I don’t think a D Sqn reunion on my driveway would help right now. Although I‘m not averse to the idea
I haven’t heard the phrase “throw a track” for a couple of years. Made me laugh, that.

So they want 80% of the cash, but their consciences can’t do the last bit? Hilarious. I know it’s an old case, but there’s the hypocrisy of religion right there.
Nope.
Thats what they believe. They are entitled to their beliefs, regardless of what you think.

Ta mate, you’re alright.
We actually got their stove installer round yesterday and I think he was shocked at the smoke in our house. So we made a friend there. Despite my calls to him previously, he is now on our side.
I don’t think a D Sqn reunion on my driveway would help right now. Although I‘m not averse to the idea
I haven’t heard the phrase “throw a track” for a couple of years. Made me laugh, that.
Ha, yeah I know, just kidding.
As if having that bunch of loons trying to solve any problem peacefully is ever going to happen :D

I think you will find once they found out the details of what the customer / 'activist' wanted they declined to do business. Which is exactly what the "customer / activist" aimed to happen. Take out the religious element and the "customer / activist" would have then likely had no case.

Freedom of choice cuts both ways.

Nope.
Thats what they believe. They are entitled to their beliefs, regardless of what you think.
Yes. But this been done before, ad nausuem and tedium.
If you provide a public service then you have to to adhere to the rules as laid down by your country.
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but if you are a restaurateur, publican or cake maker and you offer a service to the public, then get a grip.
My opinion was that they would produce a cake and not deliver the final bit due to a scruple. Its pathetic.
Bur good for them and their stance. That’ll learn em!

Yes. But this been done before, ad nausuem and tedium.
If you provide a public service then you have to to adhere to the rules as laid down by your country.
Everyone is entitled to their beliefs, but if you are a restaurateur, publican or cake maker and you offer a service to the public, then get a grip.
My opinion was that they would produce a cake and not deliver the final bit due to a scruple. Its pathetic.
Bur good for them and their stance. That’ll learn em!
Its a business, not a public service. Your point was vapid at best.

They have views you don't like, fair enough. They have the courage of their convictions.

Its a business, not a public service. Your point was vapid at best.

They have views you don't like, fair enough. They have the courage of their convictions.
You know very well what I mean.
I won’t be baited. No bite here.
Seek your fun elsewhere.

I think you will find once they found out the details of what the customer / 'activist' wanted they declined to do business. Which is exactly what the "customer / activist" aimed to happen. Take out the religious element and the "customer / activist" would have then likely had no case.

Freedom of choice cuts both ways.
Absolutely. The 'customer' could have easily gone to another baker, but instead, decided to make a massive issue of it. Same with the B+B that was forced out of business.

Chef

LE
You know very well what I mean.
I won’t be baited. No bite here.
Seek your fun elsewhere.
So you didn't come for the five minute argument .

Latest Threads