The 'Dandy' is due to close.....

Discussion in 'Old & Bold' started by tuffy52, Aug 14, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. So no more 'Desperate Dan' or 'Korky the Cat',the sales of my favourite childhood comic have fallen from 2,000,000 pw in the 40s/50s to a paltry 8,000 in 2012...
    What was your favourite comic/character?....
  2. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Musso da Wop, He's a Big Addaflop.
  3. Mrs Brady and the Brown bottle.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Not bovvered. Bit more of a "Victor" fan myself.
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Trans-sane

Trans-sane LE Book Reviewer

I used to get the Dandy every week in the late 80s. Loved it. Except for the weeks where they put a refresher bar on the front. Ripped the comic getting the sodding thing off and they were 50 shades of utterly gipping to try and eat...
  6. I used to get the Dandy, Master Chef carried on the tradition, but the artwork was crap, the stories aimed pitifully low, when it went to fortnightly the writing was on the wall.

The 'free' gifts started to come out every week, when I was getting it, and the Victor, in the 60s freegifts were like mini Christmases, and about as frequent. I think the days of the mass produced comics are all but over, the prices are high for what you get; I got 2000AD from the late 70s until the late 90s, that is still a weekly, and £2.35 a pop.

Edit. My favourite character would have been Desperate Dan, my favourite serial was 'The crimson ball'
  7. The Beano is a far superior comic, I used to get the annuals and would be enthralled reading them whilst we drove to some dodgy camping site.

Korky the Cat was one of my favorites from The Dandy.
  8. I liked Desperate Dan so much I that married his German shot putting doppelganger!
    • Like Like x 2
  9. Little Plum our Redskin Chum. then Roy of the Rovers.
  10. I much prefer Viz.
  11. The Dandy a tad too highbrow?
  12. Grew up with the Victor, towards the end it ran spreads on the scout movement. Annuals were always good stories. From Vickers platoons malleting the japs to Subbies walking wheelbarrow with wounded batman to safety.
  13. I bought the Beano and Dandy for the kids a while ago and they were unimpressed. Found a couple of annuals from the early 80's and they loved them.
  14. Willie the Kid.

Most of you would never had heard of him. Leo Baxendale at his best.

I still refer to mustard as Mouse turd to this day!
  15. Cow pie past it's sell by date? What is Desperate Dan going to do?? We both Dandy and Beano. Can't remember which one Beryl the Peril and Minnie the Minx were in.