The Daily Telegraph is a disgrace

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FORMER_FYRDMAN, Jun 1, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

FORMER_FYRDMAN LE Book Reviewer

Muslim teenage beauty queen 'stoned to death' - Telegraph

Whilst I'm always happy to see Islamic extremists held accountable for their actions, the use of this headline for what appears to be a sex attack by a known nutter seems unjustifiable and completely irresponsible. Does anyone else think that the DT is a long way down the High Road to ragdom?
  2. On their website, they have as front-page news the fact that Colleen Rooney called someone 'a dog' on the internet.
    • Like Like x 4
  3. Quite.

'Teenage Beauty Queen Battered To Death' would have done
  4. was she talking to the dog who likes them sausages or scooby doo by any chance?
  5. Probably took the fork onto the low road at some stage, still trying to catch up with the others.

What interests me is, with the advent of on-line editions of the papers are they all forced down the route of sensational headlines in order to get picked up by search engines and or catch the eye of the casual browser because the competition for free online news is so much greater?
  6. HHH

HHH LE

It doesn't matter what story, any of the online news suppliers are "reporting", the headline has to be composed in such a way that you click on the link.That's all that matters to them,because by doing so you have generated income for the site from advertisers.
    They don't care if you are annoyed, upset or even read the article,it makes no difference to them,as long as you click on it.
    That is the way all sites on the Internet work (even this one), it's all a numbers game, the more people you can show that have visited your site, the more money you can make from advertisers.
    As time goes on the standard of online "news" will decrease to just sound bites that grab the attention of online users.
    And I sure your all aware that if it's on the Internet it must be true (Wikipedia is the prime example at the minute).
    So if you want to influence peoples opinion, post on the Internet!
    • Like Like x 4

You're right of course, but the Broadsheets traditionally resisted the urge to be mass market in print form despite the potential advertising revenue from doing so - it seems odd to abandon that quality standard for the electronic media but that seems to be what they've done.
  8. Command_doh

Command_doh LE Book Reviewer

No disgrace. Playing with headlines. They all do it. Sells newspapers. Hand the outrage wagon keys back to MT. End of non - story.
  9. Police said the main suspect, 16-year-old Bihal Gaziev, had a long history of mental health problems and was already in custody. He is understood to have confessed amid reports from his village suggesting he had developed an unhealthy and unrequited obsession with Miss Koren.

Says it all really. Still it is a shame to see the Telegraph pushing shite like this but as others have said its a case of doing what they need to do to survive and if running this and that Mrs Rooney nonsense allows them to also run a major story such as the MPs expenses once in a while then its worth it IMO.

Yes, they all play with headlines but it's the degree with which they do it and what it means for their reliability as an information source which is under discussion. Sorry if that subtlety eluded you - why don't you go and find something to colour in?
  11. It began to seriously slide when the Barclay twins took over, Conrad Black may have been a bit dodgy but he wasn't a patch on them.
  12. Sentenced to 6½-years in federal jail (twice) = a bit dodgy?

PolPot was a bit naughty and Stalin had a bit of temper?
  13. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I used to subscribe until a couple of years ago, it seemed to go downhill rapidly in the lead up to the last general election. I still look at it online, but probably spend more time in the motoring section than looking at their take on the news.

We are witnessing the dumbing down of a nation via the media, and with the the Internet, knowledge is increasingly limited to what can be gleaned from a paragraph and a diagram.

Shame the rest of the world does not work on management summaries or we would be masters of it......
    • Like Like x 1
  14. HHH

HHH LE

IMHO the days of Pulitzer Prize winning journalists are numbered. The days of serving your time as a cub journalist seem to be over,all you need, it seems these days is, access to a computer (with Internet connection, obliviously) and a spell checker, to become a (so called ) journalist. All print media is slowly dying, and with it, unfortunately is the ethos of checking facts before publishing.The Broadsheets are finding that shareholders don't care about standards, just profit, and to survive they too have to use "gimmicks" as well.

And before anyone jumps on me about using, standards and journalists in the same sentence, I am referring to the grown up journalists and not the Tabloid bottom feeders.
  15. Hrrrummpphhh.
    Would never have happened in my day.
    Disgusted of Tunbridge Wells