Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Daily Telegraph - Defence chiefs prepare new plans to defend Falkland Islands

just to check, because i wouldn't want to look like a fool, this is the Maggie Thatcher who sent a junior Foreign Office minster called Nick Ridley to the FI in 1981 to persaude the Falklanders that they wanted to become Argentinian?

this is also the same MT who was told on the 20th March 1982 that SIS were certain that the Argentines were going to invade on 1st April 1982, and who did nothing?

the same MT who did not order HM Submarines Spendid and Spartan to sail to the FI until 30th March 1982?

the same MT who did not immediately order a military response, but who was in a state of some confusion, and who did not finally decide upon a military response until told, forcefully, by Admiral Lewin, that she must order a military response?

because, you know, i wouldn't want to get your Margaret Thatcher and the Margaret Thatcher who's actions and inactions allowed the war to happen mixed up...

if the 82 war had not happened i'm sure the FCO would have quietly washed its hands of the islands.

Do you think bailiffs keep trying to repossess Argentine ships in foreign ports and no-one will sell them any spares or new weapons because (a) they're utterly****ed and no-one trusts them to repay any money they're loaned...

this will be the utterly bankrupt state that just paid a British air charter company $880,000 US upfront and in cash to fly the fragrant Mrs Kirchner around LatAm, the Middle East and Europe will it?

that money came from somewhere, and its extraordinarily unlikely that a sovereign state has absolutely no more whatsoever.

$880,000 is like the coins you find down the back of a sofa to any country that isn't Somalia. You could make a mistake with your rounding up and down for any modern country's budget and the difference would be more than $880,000.

Plus of course, the reason they've leased a plane is because they think if they use their own Air Force's airliner for the job then the bailiffs will try and take that too.

For Argentina's armed forces to even begin to consider the idea that they might one day be able to invade the Falklands will take billions and billions and billions of dollars. Argentina might have $880,000, but they don't have tens of billions of dollars.

this will be the utterly bankrupt state that just paid a British air charter company $880,000 US upfront and in cash to fly the fragrant Mrs Kirchner around LatAm, the Middle East and Europe will it?

that money came from somewhere, and its extraordinarily unlikely that a sovereign state has absolutely no more whatsoever.

Until the Peronist take over, Argentina was one of the wealthiest countries In the world.
One hundred years ago it was the 8th wealthiest.
Argentina is not that country any more.

£500,000 impresses you? That's about the cost of a dozen Javelin anti tank missiles, or a pair of Sea Wolf missiles.
Those new shiny Sea Viper wizzbangs we fire off a T45 Destroyer? About a £1 million a shot.
£500,000? Yes, with that sort of untold wealth, the Argentinians will soon be outclassing us.

Exmarine

War Hero
Should you understand my fondness for the Parachute Regiment you.ll understand the following:
The Paras had balls of steel as did the Royals and all the other service personnel who put it on the line back in 1982. Thatcher did not.

Having fubarred, she used the military to dig her out of a political hole, be that her ability to be re-elected or the shit can that the FI had become.

And I still hope she gets run over by a bus.

Krom

As a bootneck who served in a Rifle Coy in 42 I am proud that MT was in charge she may have miscalculated the Argentineans (based on her security briefs ) but once committed she was 150 percent. She did not do it to get elected far from it...we should have lost and I think she knew it. As it was...a close run thing but we had learned much and our line infantry is the best in the world.

If the usual insipid twat was PM we would have been committed after being sold out.

Yokel

LE
Until the Peronist take over, Argentina was one of the wealthiest countries In the world.
One hundred years ago it was the 8th wealthiest.
Argentina is not that country any more.

£500,000 impresses you? That's about the cost of a dozen Javelin anti tank missiles, or a pair of Sea Wolf missiles.
Those new shiny Sea Viper wizzbangs we fire off a T45 Destroyer? About a £1 million a shot.
£500,000? Yes, with that sort of untold wealth, the Argentinians will soon be outclassing us.

You would have thought that the influx of Germans after May 1945 would have helped them run their economy.

You would have thought that the influx of Germans after May 1945 would have helped them run their economy.

The Chileans got all the best Germans :grin:

[video=youtube;PmZGuPfGNrY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmZGuPfGNrY[/video]

And not a dry Herren's eye in the house - they even bought ex Heer Panzers for that full on Blitzkrieg vibe:cry:

Latest Threads