The Daily Telegraph - Defence chiefs prepare new plans to defend Falkland Islands

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by DangerMouse, Jan 12, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Old-Salt Moderator

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/southamerica/falklandislands/9797902/Defence-chiefs-prepare-new-plans-to-defend-Falkland-Islands.html

• Like Like x 2

2. Politicians. Every last one of them is a ******.

• Like Like x 22
  3. I hadn't realised how small our Navy was. **** me, some banana republic is going to kick the shit out of us one day.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Leopard Seals FTW!

5. Are they including the pedallos?

Sent from my HTC Wildfire S A510e using ARRSE mobile app

6. Huh? Lets just be a tad realistic here.
    Almost none our our ships in 1982 had any ability to defend themselves against air attack, let alone missile attack.
    Note how vital just two T22 frigates were to the whole shebang.
    Perhaps we should return to the halcyon days of 1895 and 1965 when the RN was huge, but almost entirely composed of desperately obsolete ships?

• Like Like x 2
  7. 160,000 Armed forces personnel? Are they including cadets, reservists and TA in that?

8. I`m just surprised to find out that the defence chiefs actually plan anything, from the last twenty years events I always thought they made their decisions by throwing a double six over cocktails and a game of Risk.

• Like Like x 8
  9. Politicians-fitted for, but not with, a brain.

• Like Like x 5

10. Realistic?
    Yes the ships of today are for more capable but lets not pretend there are enough of them. Any ship, no matter how advanced it is, can only be in one place at a time.

• Like Like x 3
  11. To be fair none of our ships now have the ability to project air attack, probably a handy thing.

12. You know all those bus-loads of nurses...?

13. and what are the 1982 vs 2013 numbers for Argentina?

• Like Like x 1
  14. British governments and politicians have a long and depressing history of basking in the reflected glory of the exploits of the military whilst finding new and interesting ways of cutting them to the bone in short sighted parsimony and then the country has to row back from the next impending shitstorm that the ********* in Westminster signally failed to foresee. Whether it was having to raise extra reserves and build Martello towers in the eighteen hundreds or having to rely on the fortitude of gritty old men in 1940.

• Like Like x 3
  15. If it did kick off again I wonder what units would be sent this time round?