Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Daily Telegraph - Army will leave Germany on time (but where is the money?!)

Brotherton Lad

LE
Kit Reviewer
There is, or was, a plan to develop the old RAF place at Kirknewton in order to allow one or both of the Edinburgh Bns to be decanted out. I heard a tale last year that a Minister was driven out to see the site. (Have a peek on Google Earth and look at the place - spot the old Officers' quarters sold off and replete with new swimming pools for rich footballers)

When his driver stopped the car on a narrow country lane looking at an airstrip and a couple of old huts housing a gliding club, the Minister asked why he had stopped there and not by all the buildings and installations he was expecting to see.

One of the more grass roots level problems is like my mate who has recently moved to Cottesmore, with 2 Major Units moving into a camp for one there is no room. His room in the Mess is what he described "a box room no bigger than the toilet he had in the Sgts Mess in Aldershot".

From the hod's brief I got on Monday their looking at starting to pull 1 whirlybird corps out of Germnay around mid 2014 and having us back in yeovilton by the end of 2015.

Some of those garrison towns in Germany will just wither and die, i sort of feel sorry for some of the places like Fallingbostel, what will they do once the squaddies leave?

One of the more grass roots level problems is like my mate who has recently moved to Cottesmore, with 2 Major Units moving into a camp for one there is no room. His room in the Mess is what he described "a box room no bigger than the toilet he had in the Sgts Mess in Aldershot".

Not one of our biggest camps and singly accommodation in most RAF Sgts's Messes has always been pretty poor.

Some of those garrison towns in Germany will just wither and die, i sort of feel sorry for some of the places like Fallingbostel, what will they do once the squaddies leave?

Enjoy the first real peace and quiet they have had since 1939?

Rodney2q

It will be a disaster when we leave Germany. Think of all the diverse cultures we will miss out on. Languages classes will become a thing of the past.

Attachments

• 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 356
  • 43700_04_123_234lo.jpg
    43700_04_123_234lo.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 346
  • mushroom.jpg
    mushroom.jpg
    203.8 KB · Views: 348

The only places to wither & die really will be Pinkies / Babylons & dives like Cha Chas, Big Bens, Flavours etc. Otherwise it'll be normal service for the town.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer

Al the other places managed over the last two decades ~ they fill em up with immigrants, aliens and poor people and the grass grows in places it wouldn't have dared in the past....

The camps like wessex Barracks can then stand as a monument to what the great and good German Army achieved during WW2.

It will be a disaster when we leave Germany. Think of all the diverse cultures we will miss out on. Languages classes will become a thing of the past.

Does that picture series come with a more traditional ending?

Does that picture series come with a more traditional ending?
I cant remember, it was an aid to learning the lingo in 1980ish. OK some of the stories were a bit cheesy but the illustrations and photographs got the messarge across.

Attachments

• 25885_cc146_060_123_356lo.jpg
    25885_cc146_060_123_356lo.jpg
    166 KB · Views: 359
  • 07316_m02_122_1192lo.jpg
    07316_m02_122_1192lo.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 358
  • 06817_teenage_sex_55_41_123_89lo.jpg
    06817_teenage_sex_55_41_123_89lo.jpg
    192.8 KB · Views: 359
  • 49744_o01_122_18lo.jpg
    49744_o01_122_18lo.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 351
There is, or was, a plan to develop the old RAF place at Kirknewton in order to allow one or both of the Edinburgh Bns to be decanted out. I heard a tale last year that a Minister was driven out to see the site. (Have a peek on Google Earth and look at the place - spot the old Officers' quarters sold off and replete with new swimming pools for rich footballers)

When his driver stopped the car on a narrow country lane looking at an airstrip and a couple of old huts housing a gliding club, the Minister asked why he had stopped there and not by all the buildings and installations he was expecting to see.

Some on here (especially Jocks) will remember Ritchie Camp (next door to RAF Kirknewton). It was an old WW2 hutted camp and how it was allowed to last until the 80s is a mystery. There's rather posh and exclusive housing on the site now.

Now those being made redundant might just want to invest in a removals firm as there should be 5+ years lucrative work moving 1 XX (-) back home.

But surely the RAF live a life of pampered luxury ;-) The serious answer is that the RAF has always had a high proportion of its single personnel live out, either in rented accom or their own place. Stability allows people to put roots down in an area and look at long term plans. Cottesmore local house prices are reasonable enough.

There's going to be sea change needed in the way the Army thinks about its people and their career plan. Not sure if they're addressing this yet. I can see the accom situation being used as an argument for further cuts and more roles being transferred to the TA/Reserve though.

W21A

LE
Book Reviewer
Some on here (especially Jocks) will remember Ritchie Camp (next door to RAF Kirknewton). It was an old WW2 hutted camp and how it was allowed to last until the 80s is a mystery. There's rather posh and exclusive housing on the site now.
I was there as Private Frog in '79. It was a dive even then.

Latest Threads