The Daily Mail, Express and Soaraway Stun under attack

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Themanwho, Jan 10, 2018.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

?
  1. It’s part of an insidious campaign to censor the media by the filthy reds

63 vote(s)
    45.0%
  2. It’s legitimate to criticise the fascist scum, and anything goes .

11 vote(s)
    7.9%
  3. The Mail is a hateful rag that loves the Nazis – hooray for the redshirts!

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  4. Will this affect my mortgage?

8 vote(s)
    5.7%
  5. Page 3 is a cultural icon and should have a preservation order on it

18 vote(s)
    12.9%
  6. I detest your choice of news rag, but I'll defend to the death your choice to read it

32 vote(s)
    22.9%
  1. I loathe the Daily Mail because it lies all the time. But I am an equal opportunities loather and hate all the rest of the newspapers because they all do it to one extent or another.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. When can we expected the 0600 knock on the door? white male arrser will be the first to go?

3. What job can I have?

4. Ooh, dunno.... Home Secretary?

5. To which poor persecuted middle aged white man do you refer?

Can't be me, as I self identity as a 6'7" mixed race Valkyrie of indeterminate gender with a religious requirement to carry a broadsword on alternate Wednesdays.

Amusing that raising what I consider to be a relatively serious and interesting issue (ie: a left led campaign aimed at curbing free speech by attacking publications which generally follow a right wing narrative) has resulted in certain naysayers on Arrse branding me a snowflake.

Probably my fault for mentioning the Daily Mail; that always gets some posters on here howling at the moon.

6. No, it the insistence that it's an accurate source of information on the world outside the twitching curtains that has people rolling in the aisles.

Most papers are bollocks, few are defended as unquestioningly on here. That's why it draws a disproportionate amount of criticism on here.

7. Have I defended the Mail on this thread?

Edited to add: Have I suggested or insisted it's an accurate source of information?

I think the actions best described as "unquestioning" belong to those who've had a Pavlovian reaction to a mention of the Mail - "Daily Mail?!? AARGH! Lies and mortgage prices! Must be a reactionary mong posting!"

Last edited: Jan 12, 2018
    • Like Like x 1
  8. I rest my case.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I didn't state that you had, since we're being particular.

You are conspicuous in your rush to dismiss criticism of it, undeniably.

• Like Like x 1
  10. I think it's more accurate to say that I'm conspicuous in my rush to laugh at dog whistle responses but hey ho, horses for courses.

11. McD's have free copies of the Sun and Mail to hand.

No Grauniad for some unfathomable reason.

• Informative Informative x 1
  12. ...because McD's don't offer Quinoa on the menu?

• Funny Funny x 4
  13. Nor on Virgin Trains either.

14. The Sun, the Mail and McDs have a lot in common. Three places that sell things generally unfit for human consumption.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1