The Curry thread

On the flip side.
I did a curry 2 weeks ago and properly f#@ked it up.

I'm not sure what I did but it had a really horrible metallic like aftertaste to it. Really not nice.
I threw it out and started a
Take the ingredients out of the foil bag next time.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Thai green curry has to be the easiest to make , fry some cubed chicken with a teaspoon of green Thai curry paste (its hot!) , throw in a tin of coconut milk and simmer , add a bit of palm sugar if you like it serve with boiled rice , tasty.
No, heat the paste first, then add the coconut milk before adding chicken, Thai aubergine, straw mushrooms, baby sweet corn etc.

For those that make Thai green curry, the secret is palm sugar, which acts to both sweeten (counter) the sourness/saltiness of the fish sauce, but also thickens the curry sauce. Oh, and don't try to make it without Thai basil.

Oyibo

LE
excellent point. much better now that vindaloo/madras/jalfrezi/etc aren't just seen as heat levels.
{I've started to put a dash of vinegar in curries just before serving. Interesting to see how malt, red wine, cider vinegar affect them. Balsamic? Not sure about that. Like there's no point using olive oil in curry)

You are, consciously or not, making vindaloos. The word 'vindaloo' comes from the Portuguese 'vinho de alho' (or should that be 'vinho d'alho'?) which in English is 'Garlic Wine'. The theory is that the Portuguese in the C18th were shipping wine to the Indian subcontinent and some of it would turn vinegary. It was used in recipes along with garlic, hence the name.

For your delectation, bog roll in the fridge for the second but you can always cut down on the chillies, leave them out entirely and you have a Madeiran pork stew.

Indian Railways Lamb Curry

Northern India

2½ – 3lb shoulder or leg of lamb, unboned weight.

1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped.

Handful of curry leaves (neem).

2 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1" dice.

7 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed.

2" piece ginger, peeled and finely chopped.

6oz coconut milk or 2-3oz coconut cream.

2 teaspoons tamarind concentrate.

6 chillies, seeded and chopped.

1 teaspoon cumin seeds.

1 tablespoon coriander seeds.

½ teaspoon turmeric.

Salt.

Ghee.

Have the butcher bone the lamb and save the bone. Cut the meat into 1" dice.

Make a stock from the bone, half the ginger and some salt. Reduce to 8oz and strain.

Process the remaining ginger with the chillies and garlic in a blender to a make a paste. Grind the cumin and coriander and add to the paste with the turmeric and a splash of water.

Melt the ghee. Fry the onion and curry leaves until soft, add the spice paste and fry for a further 3-5 minutes then add the stock, meat, potatoes and coconut milk or cream, bring to the boil and simmer for at least 30 minutes. Add the tamarind concentrate and salt to taste.

Vindalho

Goa​

2¼ - 2½lbs pork shoulder or leg, boned weight.

3 medium onions, peeled and finely sliced.

3-4 cloves garlic, peeled and mashed.

2 large tomatoes, chopped, or most of a small tin of chopped tomatoes.

6 green chillies, cut in half lengthways and deseeded.

6 tablespoons red wine vinegar.

1 teaspoon sugar.

1½ teaspoons salt.

Groundnut oil.

Spice Paste

4 – 10 dried red chillies.

1 tablespoon paprika.

½ teaspoon cumin seeds.

3" cinnamon stick, broken into smaller pieces.

10 – 15 cloves.

½ teaspoon black peppercorns.

5 –6 cardamom pods.

10 – 12 cloves garlic, peeled.

1" piece ginger, peeled and coarsely chopped.

½ teaspoon turmeric.

Rub the pork with most of the salt and half the vinegar and set aside for 2 – 3 hours.

Make the spice paste. Combine the chillies, paprika, cumin, cinnamon, cloves peppercorns and cardamoms and grind as finely as possible. Add the garlic, ginger and turmeric to a blender with 2 tablespoons of vinegar and process to a paste. Add the ground dry ingredients and mix well.

Rub the pork with half the paste and leave to marinate overnight.

Heat the oil, add the garlic cloves and when they begin to colour, the onions. Fry until browned then add the tomatoes and green chillies. Stir for a minute or so then add the remaining spice paste and vinegar with the sugar and fry until the whole begins to darken a little. Add the meat and marinade and simmer until the pork begins to exude its juices. Add a little water and the remaining salt and simmer until the meat is tender and the sauce thick, at least 40 minutes.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
I always have had a penchant for curried eggs the simple way my late Dad used to make them , when it was just us eating
3 eggs each , hard boiled , shelled and halved
a few onion slices and a bit of crushed garlic fried off in the pan , a couple of spoons of Sharwoods milld madrass fried off with them , then a dollop of tomato paste some water salt and pepper to taste cook until paste is thick and sticky but not dry or too wet , add egg halves and gently mix with curry , serve over rice

now I know this will have all the curry connoisseurs frothing at the mouth, who GAF it was what he would have as his special treat when he was in the western desert if the ingredients were available

And I loved it......... strangely , my family have taken sides with mt late Mum on this , and they hate it as well

their loss
Made this earlier as per instructions minus the rice...lovely stuff, many thanks mate.

Born around the 50's, it was probably the second curry most of us ever tasted, after the Vesta Beef Curry.......

in the mid 60's, a bunch of us would wag off school, and hang around Durham Student Union, listening to the fabulous juke box, and having egg curry for lunch, cheapest on the menu.

I've certainly gone off curry restaurants since I learned more about their meat supply... reputedly arrives pre-cut in giant sacks of brine from god knows where. Right off the idea of halal meat too.

You can soften the blow by only eating veggie or lamb, since the latter can't be raised too intensively. Thinking about it, avoid the prawns too. Saw some from india recently and couldn't help but think of all the corpses and turds floating down the estauries, boak!
I've gone all veggie on Indian food recently. Some lovely veg dishes.

Born around the 50's, it was probably the second curry most of us ever tasted, after the Vesta Beef Curry.......

in the mid 60's, a bunch of us would wag off school, and hang around Durham Student Union, listening to the fabulous juke box, and having egg curry for lunch, cheapest on the menu.

Morning @vinniethemanxcat,
Mmm! 'Vesta Beef Curry'
Screenshot_20210620-012658_DuckDuckGo.jpg

Latest Threads