The Cuckoo's Calling

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Imago, Jul 17, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I thought I had seen a thread about JK Rowling’s new crime novel but can’t find it anywhere; maybe it has gone in search of Jarrod's missing posts?

Anyway I sat up till silly o’clock to find out who actually dunnit – solved by the ex-SIB character Cormoran Strike she / Robert Galbraith has created. Strike types in the full ARRSE URL on page 113 (out of 449 on the iPad) in order to access ‘the army mindset in its every particular, written in the language he too could speak fluently … the acronyms he had known by heart; the jokes impenetrable to outsiders; every concern of service life, from the father whose son was being bullied at his school in Cyprus to retrospective abuse of the Prime Minister’s performance at the Chilcot Inquiry.’

Anyone else read it yet?

• Like Like x 2
  2. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

Not yet, but I have been in touch with the publishers and asked for a review copy. Would have been nice for them to be a touch more pro-active and sending us a review copy. Hopefully we will have the book and have it up on the site soon.

3. Just about to post the same......yes seems J K Rowling is a bit of a fan of ARRSE.....like the book but the reference to the KRRC who disbanded about 1963 seems strange (J K if you read this I am available to proof read!!).....all in all an interesting book and although only quarter into the book, I would recommend it......

4. I read that her nomme de plume claims to be a retired Army officer. Does that mean the Waltenkommando should be doing their thing on her?

• Like Like x 1
  5. *nom

Is it not simply that she has taken the surname of 'the other famous JK'? No idea about the Robert though.

6. Bad CO

Bad CO LE Admin Reviews Editor Gallery Guru

Many thanks for letting us know about this - fame indeed!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Did she find my ******* posts? Eeh it's a disgrace.

8. You're welcome. But as Auld Yin says, it might have been nice for the publishers to have made contact with you/us in the first instance.
    I was quite taken aback when I put in every possible search term and found no other mention, several days after the revelation of the author's identity had sent the book to the top of the bestseller lists.

9. Nope. No mention was made of washing machines.

• Like Like x 1
  10. HHH

HHH LE

Only 500 copies sold under the name "Robert Galbraith" wouldn't have been the reason for the reveal?

• Like Like x 1
  11. I read this a while back. I have to agree with one of the Editors who turned it down. I think she was from Orion Publishing, who called it 'well written but quiet'.
    The plot itself didnt appeal to me and other crime writers have done this genre 'similar and better'. Having said that it is very well written in places with some interesting and fun character portrayals and developments.
    Inevitably now that RG has been outed JKR may draw comparisons or accusations of copying an idea from Lee Child. But her hero is definitely Reacher lite.
    There are a number of inaccuracies and I am sure the good citizens of Arrse will enjoy spotting them. Many are ambiguous and could be explained away as dumbing down for a civilian readership. After all its a crime novel not a techno thriller.

12. If she actually was a regular Arrser then the book will be full of references to Boots DMS, "******* Walts", the delights of babies heads, shaving KF shirts and most importantly .... "That Rifle" (Peace be upon Him).

JK Rowling? Arrse Walt.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

It was 1500 copies, but it would appear that there was no plan to reveal Galbraith's real identity: BBC News - JK Rowling 'anger' at legal firm over pseudonym leak Solicitors eh? can't trust them as far as you can throw em.

14. Out of the above, I only used the Walt reference once in the book I wrote. Then again, all of the other stuff was before my time!

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

15. I hear it was her lawyer wot dun it, told his wife's girlfriend. I look forward to seeing if Harry or Cormoran Strike gets to deal with him first and how she portrays him, as a clown or a crooked lawyer perhaps?