Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The crisis of social commentary and dissent

For many years, while watching the Pet Shop Boys' performances, I have admired the way Neil Tenant confronts us (the plebians) with tough social questions while his sidekick Chris stands in the background looking nails (because he is). One BBC pundit said the Pet Shop Boys could be looked upon as the IRA punishment squad of liberal values.

However, while reading the Pet Shop Boys blog, and watching their latest musical offering on transgender inclusion and gender normativity (Winner – video), I cannot help but think this timeless duo are jumping on the bandwagon of today's pressing issues.

P.S. Please don't put me on ROPs again.

From their name alone they've got a sense of humour

Isn't trying to stay current the norm for a pop band anyway?

Joe_Private

On ROPS
On ROPs
For many years, while watching the Pet Shop Boys' performances, I have admired the way Neil Tenant confronts us (the plebians) with tough social questions while his sidekick Chris stands in the background looking nails (because he is). One BBC pundit said the Pet Shop Boys could be looked upon as the IRA punishment squad of liberal values.

However, while reading the Pet Shop Boys blog, and watching their latest musical offering on transgender inclusion and gender normativity (Winner – video), I cannot help but think this timeless duo are jumping on the bandwagon of today's pressing issues.

P.S. Please don't put me on ROPs again.
What have we done to deserve this?

The PSB should be better than trying to remain current. There was a time when they were on the cutting edge of social commentary.

Well they certainly haven't been distracted by west end girls

Yokel

LE

P.S. Please don't put me on ROPs aga

When exactly were they on the cutting edge of social commentary? Exactly what social issues did their songs discuss - being trapped in a relationship with a lover who pays your rent perhaps, or needing both brain and brawn to make lots of money?

Yokel

LE
What is this shit about?

@scarbrough and his alcohol related issues. He is also showing the latent homosexuality that has been part of his make up, and to suppress his urges he has resorted to heavy drinking, which in turn has led to expressing desire for the former PM.