The "Cowboy" Saves his own Secret Service Agent

http://www.washtimes.com/national/20041120-113709-8651r.htm

Gotta love this story. That is, all us "Red Staters" whether or not we actually have the good luck to live in one. The NY Times and the Washington Post didn't even report it. They hadn't heard Dubya won the elction and are still trying to defeat him, haha. When the Post did the story they were snide about it. I can only guess what tack the Brit press takes on this.

And Chilean jornalists? Priceless~~

Marcelo Romero, a reporter with Santiago's newspaper La Cuarta, said: "All of us journalists agree that President Bush looked like a cowboy. It was total breach of protocol. I've seen a lot of John Wayne movies, and President Bush was definitely acting like a cowboy."
Hey, guys, we LIKE cowboys up here. You think Bush was insulted, abashed, or hurt? :lol:

On a more sobering note, one journalist wrote that maybe Bush saved his own life.

Dafydd ab Hugh writes:

Judging from your comments, I don't think you guys realize the seriousness of what happened in Chile. Let me put it into perspective: the president has been marked for death by hundreds of terrorist groups; he is in a foreign country, one where there have been near contintuous riots against America and against him, personally, over the Iraq War; as he's walking into a banquet hall, the local police intentionally cut him off from his security detail.

If the first thought that popped into your mind when you heard about that was not "assassination," then your mind is still laboring in a pre-9/11 world.

It's entirely possible that rather than "rescuing" his detained Secret Service detail, Bush in fact saved his own life. If there was a plan, if this wasn't just a random act of rudeness by the Chilean police (why would they do that?), then Bush's quick thinking may have forced the would-be attackers to abort the operation.

This little incident needs a thorough and complete investigation by Chile, as well as by the CIA. The incident the next day -- where the Bush team demanded everyone at the next banquet pass through metal detectors -- shows that they had the same thought I did (and we all should have had); the fact that Chile refused, even to the point of scuttling the party, is troubling, to say the least.
That's getting out there, even for me, but, hey, who knows?

Hey, I think Clinton would have done the same thing--except he'd have sent Hillary... Those Chilean twerps have no clue how lucky they were. :wink:

Some people are just too easily impressed.

Presumably if the Pres's staff had researched the visit thoroughly they could have prevented the situation arising in the first place. Highly amusing though.

Or it just may have been Chilean security that caused the incident. I suspect president Lagos wont be receiving an invite to the ranch anytime soon.

I'll bet he'll be gutted to hear that..... no ranchtime, bummer :lol:

I gather the situation arose because the Chilean president was not prepared to allow the US to dictate security arrangements in his country. This could almost certainly have been foreseen, and a decision taken either to cancel the visit, or respect the wishes of the host nation.

The result of the cock-up is a loss of dignity for the USA, offence to Chile and the potential exposure of the president to an assassination attempt. Mind you, he then went on to look absurd in a poncho, so maybe dignity isn't important to him.

When Bush43 visited London the US determined that they wanted to have the world's supply of guns and unfeasibly large vehicles full of clowns in sunglasses on the streets of London. Bliar naturally agreed, but I recall that during the build up it was reported that Bush43 would have stayed at home and sulked if he couldn't have his own way.

The President of the US is the top terrorist target in the world so security naturally will be a major concern for those charged with protecting his person.

tomahawk6 said:
The President of the US is the top terrorist target in the world so security naturally will be a major concern for those charged with protecting his person.

All the more reason for them to do their research thoroughly, then. Having the top terrorist target visiting your country is also a major concern for the citizens of that country, bringing as it does a greater risk of terrorist attack. History tells us, however, that US presidents tend to be the victims of their own citizens, so maybe visiting other countries provides something of a breathing space for the men in sunglasses.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
DrStealth The NAAFI Bar 17
Easymeister REME 43
F Int Corps 71