• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

The Corps Museum

Every month i pay a small amount into the Corps fund, something i was persuaded to do when i was a tom in Catterick. Now i don't mind paying into it, as its for a worthy cause. Or is it? Where does my money go? In the last 18 years i've only seen two changes in the museum.
1. A very small cabinet with some desert kit in it. (A massive display to show our contribution in both Gulf Wars, Iraq afterwards and Afghanistan I must say) I've got more desert kit in me ******* garage!
2. A huge hike in prices in the Museum shop and the Museum cafe.
If i was 80 years old and lived up north, having saved what meagre pension the Government sends me, after waxing most of it on such luxuries as light and warmth, i save enough to pay for a trip dahn sahf to see the Museum so i can relive my wartime memories and show off a bit of Corps Heritage to the Grandkids, only to get ******* raped in the cafe for an egg banjo and a brew. Robbing bastards! When i went to the wholesalers i worked out, it costs 17 pounds for 45 quarter pound burgers and buns, and 150 slices of cheese. That works out if you sell 11 burgers for a quid 50 each, you are in profit. Notwithstanding cooking and staff costs obviously. 4 nicker for burger and a coke?, i should punch them in the face. Its not as if there is anywhere for people to sit and eat a packed lunch except the car park. I lost count the amount of times i've been in there and seen visitors, pensioners and civvies etc, go pale at the sight of the prices in the cafe and the shop. 30 quid for a plaque? ARE YOU ON GLUE!!!!
If most serving members of the Corps are paying into the fund, WHERE THE **** IS OUR MONEY GOING? DO YOU NEED 4 PEOPLE WORKING IN THE MUSEUM SHOP? NO YOU DON'T!! ROBBING BASTARDS!!!!! GIVE US BACK OUR MONEY YOU *******!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However, i can understand in these times of economic hardship, the Corps is stepping up to help out alot of people, so kudos to them for that. More than happy to help out, and pay more where i can

A few points:

1. I thought a small percentage of contributions went towards the upkeep of the Corps Band, uniforms, instruments and such? (At least that's what I was told back in the dark ages.)

2. Have to agree about the museum tho', every year when I attend the RSA weekend prices seem to have crept up a little more and £30.00 for a plaque is disgraceful.

3. The Corps benevolent fund does great things for ex-members who have fallen on hard times or who are sick but to raise some much needed cash why not sell off some of the huge amounts of Mess silver that must be lying around in some dusty cellar. For example every Staffies course through the ages at Catterick donated some sort of silver when they left, 3 or 4 courses a year, 2 seperate courses, adds up to a lot of silver, where is it hiding? (I do intend to get my local RSA branch chairman to raise this at the next AGM.)

You should know that some of your "voluntary donation" goes next door to pay for the production of the Wire magazine. A magazine that, despite paying for it to be produced you must also buy if you want to read it.

I find that a little hard to swallow.

You should know that some of your "voluntary donation" goes next door to pay for the production of the Wire magazine. A magazine that, despite paying for it to be produced you must also buy if you want to read it.

I find that a little hard to swallow.
If you are a tight old git like me you wait till it's published on line and read it for free. The down side is the news is 2 months old but at my age it makes little difference..lol

BTW most recruiting offices get a couple of free copies, you could always pop in and ask for a free look.

Ooh getting called a **** by natotattie, I would say its an achievement apart from the fact you copy and paste it in every thread you reply in.

The relay crew parked up for a brew and an egg banjo one day, when they returned they were told that they were now AS operators, so they promptly about turned to the clothing store for initial issue of handbags and sensible shoes, and haven't since been lost in the DCSA system

IIRC aren't the Museum and the Cafe 2 separate businesses?

Mind you, both are still very overpriced.

and has anyone located the Radio Relay crew yet? (the ones who parked their panzer up outside one lunchtime and haven't been seen since)
Saw that only 3 weeks ago, still there, I wondered what it was doing there, the aerial is getting twatted banging against the roof when blown by the wind, agreed the stuff in the Museum is a bit overpriced, both PRI and Cafe, I only brought a couple of lower priced item that I thought would be useful, the rest, I get on Ebay or surplus shops.

Saw that only 3 weeks ago, still there, I wondered what it was doing there, the aerial is getting twatted banging against the roof when blown by the wind, agreed the stuff in the Museum is a bit overpriced, both PRI and Cafe, I only brought a couple of lower priced item that I thought would be useful, the rest, I get on Ebay or surplus shops.
Don't believe the PRI gets a penny. Its all profit. They don't even sell the Corps Band CDs because they can't make profit off them.

probably right there mate.

Seems there is an issue that need to be addressed in an open meeting between the ORs, Sgts, SSgts and the RSM, such rumblings can't be good for encouraging esprit de corp, no pun intended.

Good idea that, the current RSM 11 Sigs would probably be up for it, but can you see any others doing that? I've only known one other to do it when i was at 16 Sigs but that only lasted 6 months. We used to have a juniors to RSM open forum with no seniors and things actually used to get done. Probably cos about 8 JNCO's signed off due to the CoC in place at the time

Good things about the museum:
1) There is quite a lot of stuff in there. If you give the cadets a quiz sheet (ask at the counter) we can lose them for an hour. Which is nice. Shame a cup of tea costs so much.
2) It provides a foot-transport link between the Old School Building and the Shop / Cookhouse, when the side-door behind the museum gets locked. Namely at weekends. Failing this you have to walk all the way down the other end of the corridor by Oman to get out, and all the way back down the road. This sucks in the rain.
3) They sell baccy tins for 50p and £1 small/large respectively. These are reasonable quality and good for storing odd bits in to keep dry.
4) The tea is a bit less watery than what they serve in the cookhouse. And the walk up the hill back from the mess isn't worth the 2 quid you save.
5) Most ACF signals courses start on the weekend, so I can arrive at the gate and say 'I'm here for the museum' and get straight in, where normally my expired mod90 would leave me stood at the guard house for hours being questioned about my non-relationship with Osama Bin Laden to get a temporary pass.

Bad things about the museum:
1) Once upon a time, we could throw 30 cadets in there and have a cup of tea in peace. In the modern day of XBox and Facebook, we get about 5 minutes before they decide it's full of shite and they really don't give a fcuk about the telegraph poles of the second world war.
2) The shop costs a fortune. Except the baccy tins. And all the PRI-type-stuff is tried and tested shite. I don't know who makes the money but I bet they drive a nice car. Oh, and the woman in the 11 Sig Regt PRI is really nice and the prices aren't epically stupid. If their opening hours were more reliable, it'd serve all the more reason not to shop in the museum.
3) The cafe costs a fortune. And is nothing special. You can get hot pasties and brews in the shop now, but unfortunately if you've got a too-much-port-last-night headache, a cafe burger does so much more than a pasty. And I don't care what a burger costs, if it gets rid of the hangover by midday it's totally worth it. But still, it does cost a lot. For drinks, you're better off going to the tailor's shop and asking nicely, they're usually bored and a 15 minute chat can be exchanged for a cuppa, whilst 50p gains a cold can of pop. They're all good fun too, and despite being a bit old, they're far more fun to chat to than the younger slimmer im-so-blonde-and-attractive-i-can-ignore-you clerks.

Overall, there's 5 winners to 3 losers, and the museum has got to stay. It is quite a good education for our cadets on the history of their capbadge, and being honest the first time round I found it quite interesting for myself - having joined during Clansman-age and only progressing as far as Bowman.

However, I think it could do with some serious modernisation; and there should be benefits for RSA members. I'm not an RSA member myself (I'm not old enough... yes I know there's no age limit.. but... you know what I mean...) but I think the museum should be free for ex-Corps, shop prices discounted and cafe prices too. Maybe a 'friends of the museum' scheme? (That said, I don't know who takes their kids/grandkids to the Royal Corps of Boring museum unless they're ex-sigs). The serving soldiers should definitely pay different to the public, a flash of the MOD90 should be an instant discount of £reasonable!

Unfortunately I sympathise with the museum on prices. Yes, wholesale burger prices they might be doing us. But wholesale + staff wages + utility bills + all the other shite means that they're probably actually doing everything they can. AFAIC, the museum is an important asset to the history of the Corps and whilst it may be a cnut that they cost so bloody much, they're probably doing all they can and if they shut because of lack of funds, it'd be a bit of a shame that the history of the corps could not be portrayed to future generations.

Someone, who shall remain anonymous, sent me this
Hi PapaGolf,

Re your post on the Museum, though you might like to hear a story regarding the museum which I don't think is suitable for public airing- hence the email.

Many years ago, at the RSigs Junior Leaders Regiment at Denbury, two boys were killed in a fire. To honour the boys' depths, a memorial painting was done by the art teacher (ex RAEC) to be hung in the camp church, with a suitable inscription.

When the Regiment was disbanded and the camp demolished, the substantial painting passed out of sight. The subject of its whereabouts was discussed in recent years by ex-boys and enquires were made to various places, including the museum, but no joy.

Then quite recently, the ex-art master came back into the ex-Denbury fold and of course the subject of the painting was raised.

The answer came as a bit of a surprise, a few years ago he was contacted by the Royal Signals museum, they had this painting of his in storage for many years, didn't want it and now wanted to sell it on the open market but they first wanted to see "if he was interested in buying his own painting back".

Of course he told them to get stuffed. He'd not been paid to paint it in the first place, nor would he have wanted to be, it was something he just did. He wouldn't dream of buying back something he'd painted.

Recent enquiries to the museum regarding the painting has proved fruitless so far.
It's understandable that the museum may have had no use for it but it wouldn't have taken much imagination to find a suitable home for it, Denbury church is one place that springs to mind.

But alas, it seems the old profit motive crept in.

For us old-timers who remember well the tragedy and the victims, we don't feel the museum performed as well as it might.

Thanks for reading,

Now the Museum must be really up shit creek, if its selling off its exhibits, or someones one the take. Which is it? I'm sure this will be a topic at the up and coming Corps Convention!

Latest Threads