The Compo Thread

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Edited: since the menu question is resolved to the OP's satisfaction but the thread still has plenty of life, I have renamed the thread.

I was torn between here and the Old Gits ... I mean Old and Bold ... forum.

Half a dozen chapters in I want to spend a paragraph or two on Compo, specifically four-man and ten-man packs from the late 70s - early 80s and I realise my memories of the details of the different menus is long gone.

I know every member of this forum over a certain age (which would seem to be most) remembers these packs, mostly with affection, and I am hoping that one of you has wombled away a menu sheet that might be scanned and emailed.

Failing that, anyone who is bored enough to type in the whole sheet by hand into here ...

You're all thoroughly decent blokes, regardless of what that twaaaat next to you tells you.

Gundulph said:
AlienFTM,

A Good Site here that might help:

Rations

Some interesting info on that masterpiece of an invention and beats any modern fandangled can opener!

The P-38 (or 'John Wayne' as known by the Yanks)

I asked for compo info on the RLC board (to no avail).......I wanted ration menus for the 4man/10 man packs we used to get in the early/mid 80's. Nobody has been able to help me........Gunny mate, that site has good info but not for the period I need for me new book!!!!

What about contacting direct the defence food place at Portsmouth where the stuff is packed. They must have some records.

Errrrrr afraid I dont have the contact details Mal but someone here must have

Steak and Onion, Stewed Steak, Steak and Kidney, Chicken Supreme, Chicken Curry, Salmon, Corned Beef... I also seem to recall something like Goulash and Irish Stew

Bacon Grill, baconburgers, sausages, baked beans, peas posessed, cheese posessed, jam (various - including greengage, raspberry, plum) rice pudding, custard, ginger pudding, spotted dick, fruitcake, oatmeal blocks, mixed veg, carrots, pom powder, chocolate pudding, tinned pears, tinned peaches, tinned mixed fruit cocktail, Spangles, Tiffin bars, boiled sweets, dried soup, including Mulligatawny, Mock turtle, Oxtail, Chicken, Mushroom, Tomato...

Petriburg said:
Steak and Onion, Stewed Steak, Steak and Kidney, Chicken Supreme, Chicken Curry, Salmon, Corned Beef... I also seem to recall something like Goulash and Irish Stew

Bacon Grill, baconburgers, sausages, baked beans, peas posessed, cheese posessed, jam (various - including greengage, raspberry, plum) rice pudding, custard, ginger pudding, spotted dick, fruitcake, oatmeal blocks, mixed veg, carrots, pom powder, chocolate pudding, tinned pears, tinned peaches, tinned mixed fruit cocktail, Spangles, Tiffin bars, boiled sweets, dried soup, including Mulligatawny, Mock turtle, Oxtail, Chicken, Mushroom, Tomato...
Agreed mucker................but I need the menu by letter to maintain authenticity. Roger out's suggestion fantastic but, no contact details google it and I end up truly googled!!!!!

Arthur3bums said:
Unfortunately, that isn't what I wanted mate. I need the 4 man AFV crew issue and the 10 man 24hr pack menus. I roughly know what was in them but not to correspond with menu letters etc.

Arfur, if you get really desperate the IWM could probably help you out, or the NAM for that matter. But you may have to be a bit patient waiting for their response!!

Gremlin said:
Arthur3bums said:
Unfortunately, that isn't what I wanted mate. I need the 4 man AFV crew issue and the 10 man 24hr pack menus. I roughly know what was in them but not to correspond with menu letters etc.

Arfur, if you get really desperate the IWM could probably help you out, or the NAM for that matter. But you may have to be a bit patient waiting for their response!!
Cheers Gremlin, good thought!!!

Arthur3bums said:
Petriburg said:

Agreed mucker................but I need the menu by letter to maintain authenticity. Roger out's suggestion fantastic but, no contact details google it and I end up truly googled!!!!!
Where is Soprano54 when you need him?

RogerOut! said:
Arthur3bums said:
Petriburg said:

Believe it or not, on our hidden thread.............even my mate S54 has come up blank as have everyone on the RLC board albeit they've tried to be helpful.

Arthur3bums said:
RogerOut! said:
Arthur3bums said:
Petriburg said:

Believe it or not, on our hidden thread.............even my mate S54 has come up blank as have everyone on the RLC board albeit they've tried to be helpful.
Try a navy forum, I seem to recall from my time working on rat packs at ATDU that its a navy run faciltiy packing ORP for all 3 services

RogerOut! said:
Arthur3bums said:
RogerOut! said:
Arthur3bums said:
Petriburg said:

Try a navy forum, I seem to recall from my time working on rat packs at ATDU that its a navy run faciltiy packing ORP for all 3 services
DEFENCE FOOD SERVICES (DFS)

DFS IPT provides catering support to the UK Armed Forces whether on operations, exercises or in barracks. It is responsible for the provision of food, food services and catering policy and replaced the former Defence Catering Group and Pay As You Dine team.

CONTACT

DFS IPT

Email: info@feedingtheforces.com

Tel: 01225 472260

Some interesting info on that masterpiece of an invention and beats any modern fandangled can opener!

The P-38 (or 'John Wayne' as known by the Yanks)

I remember those little can openers right enough. They came in the case of C rations. There were supposed to be 12 - one for each individual ration pack but sometimes they didn't have enough in the case so smart G.I.s got their own and put it on their dog tag chain. It was that or go hungry

I don't ever remember the humble little P-38 being called a "John Wayne" however. When I was in the phrase was applied to those shooters who had a tendency to fire their rifle at the hip instead of at the standard shooting positions. It was later replaced with the word "Rambo" when those Sylvester Stallone pictures came out. :lol:

I'm sure menu C was chicken curry. Lived off it for an entire BATUS after the SQMS dropped a bollix!

Went a whole scheme, without seeing chicken supreme once, had ruddy stewed steak every day instead :x

When I first got in (76) we had Salmon to be replaced by Pilchards in Tomato sauce and Tiffin bars to be replaced by simple milk chocolate still caused fights over odd chocolate bar in tin in the same way as...........yuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmm .....compo sausages!
Some scheme recipes using compo ingredients (established during long early FTX hides as 1BR Corps reserve)with addition of fresh rations when available.

1) Beef burgers - Open stewed steak - thoroughly wash gunk/sauce off meat - mix steak with diced fresh onion, bind with egg fry lightly in oil (OM13 at a real desperate push assuming the vegetable oil bought at the Aldi was knackered in the Compo bin).

2) Chicken Burgers - as above but substitute Chicken Supreme instead of stewed steak.

2) Mock steaks - as above but leave out onion.

3) Fish cakes - Wash out Salmon/Pilchards crush/mash up then as 1 but, add pom powder make breadcrumbs from stale Mon - Fri bread, dip in egg then coat in crumb and fry lightly.

4) At endex.....empty compo bin contents of unused cans into clean black rubbish bag..........assemble in turret each with a spoon and the bag................................close hatches..................lucky dip the bag..................laugh yer arses off at the performance of each as you attempt to eat the contents of your dipped can. He who couldn't/wouldn't eat said contents had a round chalked up against him back in the Sqn bar!!!!!!

If I remember any more I'll post.

a little off topic but using a scorp main gun, blank round and a tin of pilchards

you get my drift

anyone actually tried it?