The Compo Thread

Discussion in 'RAC' started by AlienFTM, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. AlienFTM

AlienFTM LE Book Reviewer

Edited: since the menu question is resolved to the OP's satisfaction but the thread still has plenty of life, I have renamed the thread.

I was torn between here and the Old Gits ... I mean Old and Bold ... forum.

Half a dozen chapters in I want to spend a paragraph or two on Compo, specifically four-man and ten-man packs from the late 70s - early 80s and I realise my memories of the details of the different menus is long gone.

I know every member of this forum over a certain age (which would seem to be most) remembers these packs, mostly with affection, and I am hoping that one of you has wombled away a menu sheet that might be scanned and emailed.

Failing that, anyone who is bored enough to type in the whole sheet by hand into here ...

You're all thoroughly decent blokes, regardless of what that twaaaat next to you tells you.

2. I asked for compo info on the RLC board (to no avail).......I wanted ration menus for the 4man/10 man packs we used to get in the early/mid 80's. Nobody has been able to help me........Gunny mate, that site has good info but not for the period I need for me new book!!!!

3. What about contacting direct the defence food place at Portsmouth where the stuff is packed. They must have some records.

Errrrrr afraid I dont have the contact details Mal but someone here must have

4. Steak and Onion, Stewed Steak, Steak and Kidney, Chicken Supreme, Chicken Curry, Salmon, Corned Beef... I also seem to recall something like Goulash and Irish Stew

Bacon Grill, baconburgers, sausages, baked beans, peas posessed, cheese posessed, jam (various - including greengage, raspberry, plum) rice pudding, custard, ginger pudding, spotted dick, fruitcake, oatmeal blocks, mixed veg, carrots, pom powder, chocolate pudding, tinned pears, tinned peaches, tinned mixed fruit cocktail, Spangles, Tiffin bars, boiled sweets, dried soup, including Mulligatawny, Mock turtle, Oxtail, Chicken, Mushroom, Tomato...

5. Agreed mucker................but I need the menu by letter to maintain authenticity. Roger out's suggestion fantastic but, no contact details google it and I end up truly googled!!!!!

6. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Arfur, if you get really desperate the IWM could probably help you out, or the NAM for that matter. But you may have to be a bit patient waiting for their response!!

7. Cheers Gremlin, good thought!!!

8. Where is Soprano54 when you need him?

9. Believe it or not, on our hidden thread.............even my mate S54 has come up blank as have everyone on the RLC board albeit they've tried to be helpful.

10. Try a navy forum, I seem to recall from my time working on rat packs at ATDU that its a navy run faciltiy packing ORP for all 3 services

11. DEFENCE FOOD SERVICES (DFS)

DFS IPT provides catering support to the UK Armed Forces whether on operations, exercises or in barracks. It is responsible for the provision of food, food services and catering policy and replaced the former Defence Catering Group and Pay As You Dine team.

CONTACT

DFS IPT

Email: info@feedingtheforces.com

Tel: 01225 472260

12. I remember those little can openers right enough. They came in the case of C rations. There were supposed to be 12 - one for each individual ration pack but sometimes they didn't have enough in the case so smart G.I.s got their own and put it on their dog tag chain. It was that or go hungry

I don't ever remember the humble little P-38 being called a "John Wayne" however. When I was in the phrase was applied to those shooters who had a tendency to fire their rifle at the hip instead of at the standard shooting positions. It was later replaced with the word "Rambo" when those Sylvester Stallone pictures came out. :lol: