The coming UK power shortage

All the social contacts have deteriorated, but all our public services still assume they are as strong as ever.

E.g. the concept of the NHS is "I don't mind paying for you when you genuinely need it, because I know you'll do the same for me" - even someone who still believes in the first part cannot rationally still believe in the second. Or the concept of the police is "99.9% of us know right from wrong, you can just deal with the deviants". And so on...

Should there be a genuine crises I predict all the diverse sub communities would close ranks around their own and leave anyone who believes in diversity on the outside!
Good articles on Radio 4 yesterday about getting the NHS up to speed. You cannot just magic enough trained GPS or Dentists for that matter. The government needs NOW to start the process for 10 years time.

This morning was a news bite about just how many Drs working for the NHS are not from the UK or Eu . Only 85% are UK citizens.

Good articles on Radio 4 yesterday about getting the NHS up to speed. You cannot just magic enough trained GPS or Dentists for that matter. The government needs NOW to start the process for 10 years time.

It cannot - the number of training places is controlled by the BMA, which likes to keep that number just below what's needed to protect the interests of its members at the expense of the general public. That's why I say it needs to be broken up and let anyone who gets good enough A-levels train for the job, just like any other job, no more closed shop.

This morning was a news bite about just how many Drs working for the NHS are not from the UK or Eu . Only 85% are UK citizens.

Kickstarting this new training will require non-BMA members to teach it. So this is actually good...

All the social contacts have deteriorated, but all our public services still assume they are as strong as ever.

E.g. the concept of the NHS is "I don't mind paying for you when you genuinely need it, because I know you'll do the same for me" - even someone who still believes in the first part cannot rationally still believe in the second. Or the concept of the police is "99.9% of us know right from wrong, you can just deal with the deviants". And so on...

Should there be a genuine crises I predict all the diverse sub communities would close ranks around their own and leave anyone who believes in diversity on the outside!
Remember the Italian bridge that suddenly fell down, or the rank stupidity of Grenfell tower. The save the NHS from a relatively low minor mortality pandemic, to the lights going out because we don't control a reliable energy source to keep our lights and heating on ?

The common denominator is the data and experts, who never consider for a moment there data and prior evidence is wrong and only ever acknowledge there was ever a problem, about five minutes too late. Most of our ills in the world is the lack of foresight at the top and the experts who insulate them.

REMEwalt

Old-Salt
Partially - it uses cheap off-peak electricity to pump water up to the storage reservoir from the lower reservoir but it also has to replenish its water levels from natural inflows. At least this is what I remember from a visit years ago, it used to be open to tourists.
Correct, it’s a pumped storage system, used by NG for sudden surges in demand. It can deliver something like 2GW within 15 seconds but only for a short duration (minutes). Edit, just checked and it can deliver for up to five hours at 288MW if I interpret this correctly. First Hydro Company - Dinorwig Power Station

I was at school when it was built, they drained Llyn Peris and concrete lined it to take the force of the water. We did a school trip inside the tunnels before it was brought into service, that would have been 1983

Last edited:
Remember the Italian bridge that suddenly fell down, or the rank stupidity of Grenfell tower. The save the NHS from a relatively low minor mortality pandemic, to the lights going out because we don't control a reliable energy source to keep our lights and heating on ?

The common denominator is the data and experts, who never consider for a moment there data and prior evidence is wrong and only ever acknowledge there was ever a problem, about five minutes too late. Most of our ills in the world is the lack of foresight at the top and the experts who insulate them.

Was the data and prior evidence not correct….. and ignored ?

Correct, it’s a pumped storage system, used by NG for sudden surges in demand. It can deliver something like 2GW within 15 seconds but only for a short duration (minutes).

I was at school when it was built, they drained Llyn Peris and concrete lined it to take the force of the water. We did a school trip inside the tunnels before it was brought into service, that would have been 1983

Ireland’s equivalent is Turlough Hill (dating from 1974 and very small in comparison)

Output is 292 MW within 70 seconds but duration is 6 hours

Spotted this. How much of the cost reductions will be passed on to consumers remains to be seen...
1659715255225.png

JCC

LE

Don't forget the insulation of the experts from any consequences.

Yokel

LE
This morning I saw two stories about the development of wave energy in other nations, and different technological approaches:

Australia - Blowhole wave energy generator outperforms expectations

A 200-kW test platform was put in place last year off King Island, facing the notoriously rough waves of Bass Strait, which separates Tasmania from Australia's mainland. For a whole year, it has provided reliable clean energy to the island's microgrid around the clock. During operation, the WSE staff made several live modifications to the design that improved its performance beyond expectations.

Israel - Test runs begin on Israeli wave energy project

The real-conditions testing was initiated in July with the purpose of examining the operation of the mechanical and hydraulic subsystems of the project.

During the testing, the Eco Wave Power floaters were lowered to the water and tested for the first time, resulting in a green light for the next phases of the project, which will include grid connection and testing of the overall system, followed by full operation.

Once testing and final works are completed, including the grid connection, the company will have an official launch of its power station.

Was the data and prior evidence not correct….. and ignored ?
That's an excellent point, probably missed by many people !

The answer is found in the nature of how 'group-think' operates and most self declared energy experts, will usually have at least some skin in the climate change game and not deny the evidence, but interpret it differently to you and me, because they aren't honest or objective. Peer pressure and only one accepted narrative, allows any critic only one acceptable argument against the current status quo and that's for more renewables.

The tiny minority of people arguing for other solutions, are written off as cranks and ostracised, or ridiculed.

JCC

LE
That's an excellent point, probably missed by many people !

The answer is found in the nature of how 'group-think' operates and most self declared energy experts, will usually have at least some skin in the climate change game and not deny the evidence, but interpret it differently to you and me, because they aren't honest or objective. Peer pressure and only one accepted narrative, allows any critic only one acceptable argument against the current status quo and that's for more renewables.

The tiny minority of people arguing for other solutions, are written off as cranks and ostracised, or ridiculed.
The corruption of the scientific journals is a massive issue.

The corruption of the scientific journals is a massive issue.
It is and a few examples to broaden the point:-
You can criticise the Ukraine war - but only the lack of even more support to Ukraine.
You can criticise the NHS - but only for its lack of resourcing and crumbling infrastructure.
You can criticise the Education Sector - but only for its lack of resourcing and crumbling infrastructure.
You can criticise anything - but your only allowed to offer constructive criticism, that stays in 'lane'.

Evidence-based conclusions are usually a consensus, that excludes dissenting voices. I think the politicians to be fair have a fairly tough job, because if they ploughed a ton of money into Nuclear twenty years ago they would have been attacked and maybe now would be applauded, but politicians need applause next week, not twenty years from now and it makes them vulnerable to following the consensus of the day.