The coming UK power shortage

Sadurina

Old-Salt
Somebody just powered down one of them nuclears sharpish-
22 july 21.jpg

I'm not sure the length of time to change to fluidised coal burning .
The place I was at took between 16 and 20 hours work to change from gas to oil
Don't know what machines you had but I've worked on a Frame9 that could run on 100% gas and then transfer to 100% Diesel without shutting down, or sit with a mix of fuels - accountants at your place didn't want the sports version I would suggest. Also just seen your comment about the amount of fuel on site - Upper or Lower tier COMAH, both a nightmare

Don't know what machines you had but I've worked on a Frame9 that could run on 100% gas and then transfer to 100% Diesel without shutting down, or sit with a mix of fuels - accountants at your place didn't want the sports version I would suggest. Also just seen your comment about the amount of fuel on site - Upper or Lower tier COMAH, both a nightmare
Oh, and fluidised coal?? Really. All the mills, classifiers, NOX, firing air? Not cheap and to be honest if it can't make a business case and profit no ones writing cheques

Londo

LE
I would suggest that as it was a privately built and run power station you are most likely correct in you're assessment on the type of turbines installed .
I didn't have any direct dealings with those turbines and can't even remember what type or make they were now .
All I know is they are now in India .

Regarding the fuel there were two very large tanks ( Not the ones shown in my photo . They were for holding distilled water ) for fuel oil on site and also an agreement with a fuel farm just down the road to hold two weeks emergency supply
But again fuel was well outside my remit .

I would hope so . If any are ever built that is .
We have some coal reserves I believe .

The decision from that evil bitch Thatcher, was destroy the mines so they could never be reopened....... they were ordered to tip all the machinery down the shafts, at least that's what I was told up here, by local miners

Yokel

LE
Wind is not the only source of power that is non nuclear and carbon free. There are exciting wave energy projects and research taking place off the Cornish coast and in the Orkneys.

There is no single solution to future energy needs.

anglo

LE
Somebody just powered down one of them nuclears sharpish-
View attachment 590814
Well spotted. Good web-site isn't it! And you can see the gas line ramping up for tea-time.
Look at the state of the nuclear power plants, UK

Look at the state of the nuclear power plants, UK

I've already seen a few bits and pieces - most are well beyond design life. Engineers and metallurgists doing a great job to keep them going. Can't get the praise they deserve because that would draw attention to the poor planning that led to this.

Londo

LE
The decision from that evil bitch Thatcher, was destroy the mines so they could never be reopened....... they were ordered to tip all the machinery down the shafts, at least that's what I was told up here, by local miners
If they ever had to re-open a coal mine in the future would they not dig new shafts ?
Personally I think if any coal mines in the future would be dug and coal removed by robotic means .
Either that or using the huge amount of low skill labour coming across on boats .
The last bit was just wishful thinking by the way
but it would keep them off the streets ;)

No UK coal was used in the last few years, all imported from other places with lower costs, UK coal died of it's own accord. Besides, and take it from one who worked on a coal fired site for a few years, coal is bloody awful, Victorian engineering controlled by 21C computers to be anywhere near commercial and environmentally compliant. Really really is last century stuff

If they ever had to re-open a coal mine in the future would they not dig new shafts ?
Personally I think if any coal mines in the future would be dug and coal removed by robotic means .
Either that or using the huge amount of low skill labour coming across on boats .
The last bit was just wishful thinking by the way
but it would keep them off the streets ;)

Yes, it would have to be a new project. Within my memory the Selby coalfield was successfully developed, worked out and closed. "Return on investment" in 25-30 years like a proper business. I think there were some other projects on paper, policy changed but the coal is still there if its ever needed. Good point about labour - we'd have to rely on imported skills.

A few days of power cuts in the next winter would certainly concentrate the brain cells of the twatterati, like omg I'm down to like 3% charge and the lights have like gone out and it's like so important to be Gret.....

A few days of power cuts in the next winter would certainly concentrate the brain cells of the twatterati, like omg I'm down to like 3% charge and the lights have like gone out and it's like so important to be Gret.....
Nightmares now, cheers.

Latest Threads